Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Should you be able to smoke in your own home?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Should you be able to smoke in your own home? (Read 1,045 times)
Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Should you be able to smoke in your own home?
Reply #70 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
So, is it legit for people with children to smoke in their presence, knowing that the part of the smoke that goes down is far more dangerous than the one that goes up?

Are you saying the smoke that is directly inhaled from the cigarette is less dangerous than that which is breathed out? If so, the important factor would be how much less dangerous.

“And it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us!’’
IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #71 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
Believe it or not, you and I are not very far apart on this.

Let me ask you this. I live in the country. There is a house across the street, but the other nearest neighbor is just under a mile away. Would you say I have the right to smoke in my house or not? Assume I live alone. I don't, but assume that for now.

As far as I am concerned you are free to poison yourself all you want as long as no one else is affected as well.

For instance, if you hire someone (a nonsmoker) to work in your home, then unless he's agreed to work (by contract) in a polluted environment you have no right to impose your smoking on that person.

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #72 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Are you saying the smoke that is directly inhaled from the cigarette is less dangerous than that which is breathed out? If so, the important factor would be how much less dangerous.

Not exactly, in the smoke that you breathe out as well as the one coming from the cigarette itself. There is a part that is heavier than the air and a part that is lighter than it. The part that's heavier is more dangerous to inhale that the one that's lighter. That's why tall people or more generally adults are less affected by second-hand smoking than children, aside from the fact that children are more fragile and are poisoned by smaller dosages than adults of course.

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

REDACTED

Reply #73 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
Believe it or not, you and I are not very far apart on this.

Let me ask you this. I live in the country. There is a house across the street, but the other nearest neighbor is just under a mile away. Would you say I have the right to smoke in my house or not? Assume I live alone. I don't, but assume that for now.

I am reminded of the saying we all learned in childhood.

Everyone has the freedom to swing a baseball bat, but not if it's going to cause injury, damage, or other unwanted upset.

This also, by the way, illustrates the difference between our law system (based on English Common Law) and the Napoleonic system. In our system, various activities are legal if they are not declared illegal. In Napoleonic law, various activities are legal only if the law says they are.

Take your pick.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #74 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
I am reminded of the saying we all learned in childhood.

Everyone has the freedom to swing a baseball bat, but not if it's going to cause injury, damage, or other unwanted upset.

Ok, then that's what I see as a negotiation of property rights. My bat vs. your face. Or, in the case of this thread, my condo vs. your condo.

It's entirely possible we're just disagreeing on terminology. As I said, I agree that you should keep your smoke in your home. Once it enters mine we have a problem. But there are limits to that and it centers around the words "injury" "damage" and "unwanted upset." (Especially the last one.)

“And it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us!’’
IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #75 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Not exactly, in the smoke that you breathe out as well as the one coming from the cigarette itself. There is a part that is heavier than the air and a part that is lighter than it. The part that's heavier is more dangerous to inhale that the one that's lighter. That's why tall people or more generally adults are less affected by second-hand smoking than children, aside from the fact that children are more fragile and are poisoned by smaller dosages than adults of course.

I haven't really studied the science behind this very much. I've certainly heard that second hand smoke is bad of course, but I can't pretend I know exactly how bad.

Generally, I am loathe to use government to limit what people can do in their own homes if they aren't harming others. So the issue is on how much harm there is. I know that sounds callous. Any harm to a child is too much harm, right? But we all expose our children to some harm. So, as I say, it depends.

If the research shows that there is a significant risk to the health of a child in the house of a smoker, I could consider some kind of restriction at the State level, but it would need to be implemented gradually and possibly allow for some grandfathering out of current smokers. We're dealing with an addiction here and very, very bad things can happen when we use the government to take away addictive substances. 
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:40pm by Maestro »  

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #76 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
IF no one can smoke then no one should be able to BBQ.    Then what about venting your cooking outside from your Cook stove or your fireplace. 

What's Good for the Goose Is Good for the Gander.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #77 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
Tell me why that "most calm and respectful member"  attacked me unprovoked.

That's something I'd be really interested to hear.

You’ll have to quote it. I can’t find it.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #78 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
walkstall wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
IF no one can smoke then no one should be able to BBQ.    Then what about venting your cooking outside from your Cook stove or your fireplace. 

What's Good for the Goose Is Good for the Gander.

I don't think I ever tried barbecued goose.

Is it good?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Trumpublican

Reply #79 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Who owns the wall that conjoins the two units?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Should you be able to smoke in your own home?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules