Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible (Read 169 times)
FEZZILLA
LNF Bunker

Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible
Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible

One of the things mentioned frequently by flat earthers is the movement of the sun in the Bible. Youtube videos and online columns from flat earthers are plastered all over the Internet. I have spent 8 years thinking about these verses of contention. During that time I also researched those divine nuggets of truth in the Bible; and those, in which, reveal the Divine fingerprint of God in prophecy. Having spent a great deal of time studying prophecy and dedicated in prayer to the truth of these things of God, I eventually came to what I am convinced is a sound and trustworthy conclusion.
There are 3 major verses of contention but I will cite from 4 as to settle the matter once and for all now that we are centuries past from the Galileo incident. It will be worth noting that the subject of the moving sun in the Bible has never been an easy issue for Christian writers to answer. Many are fearful, and reasonably so, of facing harsh judgment from God if indeed their words be used against them on Judgment Day. And you better believe I have been nothing but cautious about my approach to this matter due to my own fear of facing harsh judgment from God if indeed my words are proven false. So many sincere theologians fear such judgment from God as I do if our words be considered false testimony against the Holy Scriptures. Therefore, I have taken the utmost care to tackle this issue to assure my soul that I may arrive to a true verdict. After 8 years of research I feel it is necessary to examine the verses of contention and to explain them in the most honest and truthful manner possible based on my knowledge of prophecy.

1. Joshua 10: 1-13

Ҧ Then spake Joshua to the Lord, in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stay thou in Gibeon, and thou Moon, in the valley of Aijalon.
And the Sun abode, and the moon stood still, until the people avenged themselves upon their enemies: (is not this written in the book of Jasher?) so the Sun abode in the midst of the heaven, and hasted not to go down for a whole day” (Joshua 10: 1-13, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This passage has been used since the Galileo incident to prove how the sun moves around the earth....around the sphere of the earth, that is. The prophecy, coming from a lost Book of the Bible, presumably lost in one of the burning libraries of history, is hard to examine because it no longer exist. All that remains of Jasher is what is quoted in the Bible and the $25.00 forgery you can buy which contains the same account cited in Joshua 10 which proves its a modern forgery, probably a Mormon forgery. The prophecy, however, is about a long day, twice the natural length. This prophecy fulfills here in Joshua 10 and there is ample historical proofs from various ancient nations from the time of Joshua which either speak of such a day, or, as in countries like Mexico etc, speak about a long night twice the natural length. The sun that stops is only from the human perception. There are many who say that the sun stopping is an expression, and this may indeed be true about the passage. But even in the event this sun which stops in the middle of the sky is to be taken literally, as I believe is most likely to be the case here, it is not God telling Moses (presumably the author of Jasher) that the sun moves or stops, but comes from the perspective of Moses or whoever wrote the Book of Jasher. Again, the prophecy is about a day twice the natural length which was a miracle and one that God made happen. How exactly God made this happen is unknown. Perhaps God had slowed down the earth’s rotation or even froze time somehow. This cannot be explained in strict terms of modern science since this miracle is one done by God.

2. Habakkuk 3:11

“The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the bright shining of thy spears” (Habakkuk 3:11, 1599 Geneva Bible).

Here we have nothing more than a reflection of the day twice the natural length in which Joshua was assured victory by God Who fought for Israel. Nowhere in this passage are we led to believe that a moving sun is something taught by God. Though the prophecy may refer to God slowing or stopping time for the exception for life on earth. How He did this is beyond our human comprehension.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:35am by FEZZILLA »  

"Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" (2 Cor. 3:17).

IP Logged

FEZZILLA
LNF Bunker

Re: Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:12am
Print Post  
3. Psalm 19:4-6

“Their line is gone forth through all the earth, and their words into the ends of the world: in them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun. Which cometh forth as a bridegroom out of his chamber, and rejoiceth like a mighty man to run his race. His going out is from the end of the heaven, and his compass is unto the ends of the same, and none is hid from the heat thereof” (Psalm 19:4-6, 1599 Geneva Bible).

This particular passage carries significant spiritual meaning. Now, to be reasonably fair to the passage, it is not clear if this passage is even dealing with the sun literally moving. In fact, the expression “he set a tabernacle for the Sun” seems to indicate the sun is stationary. However, if taken literally, this stationary sun goes from stationary to mobile when it is compared to a mighty man running his race. But this can also be a figurative attempt to convey the sun rising and setting, as a psalm is a poem and poems often carry figurative language. This passage is also most likely in connection to ‘The Sun of Righteousness’ in Malachi 4:2, which means the light of Christ will be as the Sun shining in on the darkness of the world with healing in its wings. This light of Christ, figuratively compared to the sun in verses 4-6, shall go through the whole earth with the message that brings light, healing and justice to the inhabitants of the earth. Thus Psalm 19:4 is cited by the Apostle Paul in connection to spreading the word of the Gospel:

“But I say, have they not heard? Yes, indeed:

“Their voice went into all the earth,
and their words to the ends of the world” (Rom.10:18, MEV).

When David speaks of the tabernacle for the sun, this is to be understood as the dayspring (KJV) of Job 38:12. In Job 38:12-15, the morning light exposes the wickedness of those who walk in darkness. But in Psalm 19:5-6, the rays of the sun make their way throughout the whole earth, coming with healing to the righteous (Malachi 4:2) and condemnation for the wicked (Job 38:15; Malachi 4:1). All this is a figurative language which is there to convey a deep spiritual meaning. The sun represents the light of Truth which comes from the Son who is Jesus Christ. This is why Paul cites from Psalm 19:4 when addressing his fellow Jews. The dayspring (Job 38:12) and the tabernacle for the sun (Psalm 19:4) view the sun as stationary, according to the natural laws ordained for it if we are to interpret this literally.

So the psalm should not be taken in a literal, carnal manner, but interpreted from a strict spiritual perspective. Comparing the light of Christ to the brightness of the sun would be the best way, from the human perspective, to describe the awesome power of God’s justice and salvation, as well as the burning heat against the wicked who refused God’s free gift of eternal salvation.

"Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" (2 Cor. 3:17).

IP Logged

FEZZILLA
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:12am
Print Post  
4. Ecclesiastes 1:5

The entire Book of Ecclesiastes is Solomon’s conclusion of his life’s journey. The Book contains a wealth of wisdom which even today one will do well to learn from. Even though Solomon fell deeply into idolatry and embraced pagan gods and did what he pretty much wanted to do; he did, in the end, realize that in his error he accomplished nothing more than chasing after the wind. His final conclusion to the meaning of life was to love and obey the Lord and keep His Commandments. Ecclesiastes is not a Book of Prophecy, but contains King Solomon’s personal testimony according to his own perspective. This does not mean the Book is rubbish and unworthy to be read. On the contrary, his wise testimony should be read by everyone!

“The sun riseth, and the sun goeth down, and draweth to his place where he riseth”(Ecc.1:5, 1599 Geneva Bible).

While this verse has been used to describe the sun rising and setting, it has also been used to describe the sun circling the earth. This sun, as literally read, draweth to his place where he riseth. If indeed we are to take this literally, and I believe that to be the case with this verse, then the sun is circling the earth. I simply do not see any sign of figurative speech in this verse, and believe that this verse is to be interpreted as a sun circling the earth. God did not reveal to the Jews all there is to know about scientific mysteries. The Jews, including all the Biblical writers, were not gods nor were they God. They were just as subject to human err as you and I are. God revealed to them only what He thought would be of greater importance, such as the salvation of the world. It is only by God’s wisdom that He did reveal some modern scientific knowledge to His servants so that we, the future readers, will know that He is the Lord. But we also must know that the Bible itself is not the object of worship as it is not God. God’s servants, the Prophets, were people, ordinary people, who were chosen by God to deliver His message to the people of earth.
We must understand that the Bible was never meant to be a science textbook. The message in the Bible is there to secure our souls for a more important afterlife. Such content demands more attention than physical science. God left science up for people to discover, as God wanted mankind to explore His creation and enjoy what He had made. But many will automatically ask the question: Well if the sun goes around the earth in the Bible, what else in the Bible contains scientific errors? A reasonable question to ask. I have arrived to the conclusion, which I firmly believe is the correct conclusion, that there is only one scientific blunder in the Bible (Ecc.1:5) and that deals with the circuit of the sun. But this err in the Bible has absolutely no impact on the infallible message the Lord has given to us on earth. Perhaps, when Solomon fell into idolatry, his view of the sun was shaped by pagan philosophers of his time.
Lastly, I firmly believe that God revealed the spherical shape of the earth to Job first, which Solomon well understood, and then God delivers that message again to Isaiah. There is no question that Isaiah 40:22 is straight out prophecy from the LORD. God may have revealed a stationary sun to Job, but what was revealed could not have been understood until the modern era. So the Bible does teach a stationary sun (Job 38:12; Psalm 19:4) and a mobile sun (Ecc.1:5), depending on whether you are reading Job or Ecclesiastes. But one thing we can be certain about is how the earth is a sphere and, in the Bible, the sun travels around this sphere in Ecc.1:5 . So even an err of a circling sun in Ecclesiates proves the earth is round! I do believe God searches for humble hearts and does not like a man so proud as to believe he is above the knowledge of God.
Yes, I believe the Bible is the authoritative word of God and I hold this belief very dearly and do not stray from it. My reasons for writing this section were to increase faith and not to decrease it. For when people are told for centuries that the sun in the Bible is stationary in all verses, and then see Solomon speaking about a circling sun, then the Bible student reads that, this can cause one to lose faith over something so small. Its small because it has no impact on the Message. Most importantly: Think with a clear mind and do not let your mind dwell on sensations which are demonic and unnecessary to dwell upon. The unstable mind will dwell on little things and turn little things into major issues. But the Lord wants us to keep a level head and a clear mind, and not to live in conspiracy and in constant suspicion. Just keep your eyes set on Christ and stay in the Word daily and you will be saved for your faith. But when you lose faith over little matters that mean nothing, you lose your soul for an eternity over nothing that mattered.

IP Logged

FEZZILLA
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 3:34am
Print Post  
*Special Note: When I wrote this article I had been studying the Geneva Bible at the time. Therefore many quotations came from the Geneva Bible which I had been using quite frequently. Today I prefer the 1537 Matthew's Bible and its sister version the 1539 Great Bible over all other English translations. But the 1560 Geneva Bible and its multiple revisions, though flawed in many ways, is considered a better translation than many of these modern translations. The Geneva Bible isn't bad, but where it did screw up it screwed it real BIG TIME! However, none of the passages cited here from the Geneva Bible are those flawed passages. The passages cited here were actually translated very well.

And yes, I prefer the 1537 Matthew-Tyndale Bible and its sister version the 1539 Great Bible over the 1611 & 1769 King James Bible. I do love the KJV and uphold that translation as one of the best all time English treasures there is. But it is not the overall best.

I spent 8 years studying this moving sun issue before reaching a conclusion. I am aware I am responsible for my words and teachings and know the consequences of committing to an error. A false testimony of Scripture is a grave sin and one I was very careful not to make and hope I didn't make an err. Though I am certain the explanation provided here is correct.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2018 at 4:11am by FEZZILLA »  

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 5:43am
Print Post  
The bible uses human language just like we do today. We say the sun rises, the sun sets, the sun is high in the sky etc.  I don't see any issue there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereChristian Forum › Explaining the Moving Sun in the Bible

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules