Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › On Religion, what Do You believe?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On Religion, what Do You believe? (Read 848 times)
Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: On Religion, what Do You believe?
Reply #40 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jul 18th, 2018 at 9:52pm:
Sure, there aren't any modern major religions that leaped from the forehead of Zeus fully-formed.  Practically all of them have adopted practices & beliefs from other religions or philosophies.  Christianity is no different, adopting the pagan Yule celebrations and adapting them to the celebration of Jesus's birth.

That's not a criticism of Christianity, either: syncretic practices, beliefs, customs, languages, cuisines, and on and on are very common, and there's nothing wrong it.  The humble ground beef taco is a syncretic mix of Mexican elements (corn, tomatoes, hot pepper sauce) and Old World (beef, cheese, lettuce).

To put too fine a point on it, the state shouldn't support pagan religions, either.

I don't think I've read the case, but I'd strongly disagree.  The Christmas tree is a much less religiously-charged symbol than the Nativity.  I don't complain about the town Christmas tree - like who the hell has the energy for that? - but I would complain if the borough put up a Nativity scene, for sure.

Why?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Because the state should not support one religion over another, and the Nativity is a very religiously-charged symbol of Christianity.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #42 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jul 21st, 2018 at 2:26pm:
Because the state should not support one religion over another, and the Nativity is a very religiously-charged symbol of Christianity.

Isn’t that just a bit hysterical and ruddy-faced, tie-askew shouty prick stuff?

It’s a Nativity scene.  Chill out.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #43 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:19pm:

It’s a Nativity scene.  Chill out.

Are you undergoing some kind of conversion?

Did you drink wood alcohol or something similar lately?

Why do you think there should be state-imposed religions?

Can't you see the problems that would ensue if we were to indulge every little cult that would impose some sort of public display of one kind or another?

How about loud public prayers?

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #44 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:19pm:

Nah.  I'm not going to bother about Christmas trees, but the Nativity scene presents very specific Christian beliefs, and the state should not be in the business of presenting them.  Collect the garbage, pave the roads, open the sewer lines, and leave the Nativity scenes on church property.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #45 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 7:36pm:
Nah.  I'm not going to bother about Christmas trees, but the Nativity scene presents very specific Christian beliefs, and the state should not be in the business of presenting them.  Collect the garbage, pave the roads, open the sewer lines, and leave the Nativity scenes on church property.

Well, much as it mildly annoys me, we do have a State religion; the head of State is also Defender of the Faith (it even says 'F.D.' on the coins, for Fidei Defensor).

Every schoolchild must, by law, take part in a religious assembly of a broadly Christian character several days a week.

My country is going downhill very rapidly, but I don't think that is connected with a State religion.
It was probably a useful societal glue in years gone by.

Not so much now, when hardly anyone believes.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #46 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 5:10pm:
Are you undergoing some kind of conversion?

Did you drink wood alcohol or something similar lately?

Why do you think there should be state-imposed religions?

Can't you see the problems that would ensue if we were to indulge every little cult that would impose some sort of public display of one kind or another?

How about loud public prayers?

A State religion kinda implies you're not going to indulge every little cult. Suppress them maybe.

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #47 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
Well, much as it mildly annoys me, we do have a State religion; the head of State is also Defender of the Faith (it even says 'F.D.' on the coins, for Fidei Defensor).

One more thing to dismantle, along with the monarchy and the nobility.

Quote:
It was probably a useful societal glue in years gone by.

No.  It was founded in a temper tantrum by one of your garbage kings and quickly got on with oppressing everything but itself.  My country in general was founded by people escaping the church's vicious repression, and my ancestors in particular had to flee to worship as they felt best.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #48 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
A State religion kinda implies you're not going to indulge every little cult. Suppress them maybe.

If you read my post correctly, you'll see that I've put "religions" in the plural. I don't like the idea that the public space be encumbered with countless religious signs of countless religions. The state is supposed to teach enlightenment, not obscurantism. It's one thing to leave random superstitions alone and let them be. It's quite another to advertise for them.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #49 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
If you read my post correctly, you'll see that I've put "religions" in the plural. I don't like the idea that the public space be encumbered with countless religious signs of countless religions. The state is supposed to teach enlightenment, not obscurantism. It's one thing to leave random superstitions alone and let them be. It's quite another to advertise for them.

This is NOT France, but the USA where the government has ZERO authority to teach enlightenment.  That is in of itself a religion.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › On Religion, what Do You believe?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules