Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › 2018 LNF NFL Weekly Picks discussion - Ideas, suggestions, etc.
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2018 LNF NFL Weekly Picks discussion - Ideas, suggestions, etc. (Read 429 times)
Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

2018 LNF NFL Weekly Picks discussion - Ideas, suggestions, etc.
Jul 18th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Thank you, JohnnyB, for getting us started!

Below are the basic rules and format that we used last year:

Quote:
For those of you who have not played before, here are the very basics:

After every week's set of NFL games, I will update our division standings. Here is our point system:

1. You get 1 point for every NFL game you predict correctly
2. Every week, we will award a 3-point BONUS to the person who gets the most points that week
3. In case of a tie, we will use this tie-breaker: Guess the total number of points scored on the Monday Night game.
4. The person who gets closest to the MNF "total points" that week receives 1 bonus point.

SEASON: The NFL season has 17 weeks. Our regular season will last 14 weeks. The final 3 weeks will be for our playoffs.

PLAYOFFS: Six players will make the playoffs: Each division winner, plus the next two division runner-ups!

Let's use this time to make suggestions for any rules or format changes. Smiley

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: 2018 LNF NFL Weekly Picks discussion - Ideas, suggestions, etc.
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jul 18th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
Thank you, JohnnyB, for getting us started!

Below are the basic rules and format that we used last year:

Let's use this time to make suggestions for any rules or format changes. Smiley

Drop the Thursday night game. All picks have to be in by 9 AM Saturday and no changes and no accepting picks simply because the games haven't started. None of this waiting until the last minute to see what the bookies and the handicappers are saying or worse yet, waiting until Sunday morning to watch the pre-game shows then claiming one forgot.

That levels the playing field. Posting the upcoming games on Tuesday as you do is more than ample time to decide by 9 AM Saturday who you want.

Probably not playing this year but that's my two cents. Smiley

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

VYPR winner of LNF''S
FAKE CONSERVATIVE AWARD

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:14am:
Drop the Thursday night game. All picks have to be in by 9 AM Saturday and no changes and no accepting picks simply because the games haven't started. None of this waiting until the last minute to see what the bookies and the handicappers are saying or worse yet, waiting until Sunday morning to watch the pre-game shows then claiming one forgot.

That levels the playing field. Posting the upcoming games on Tuesday as you do is more than ample time to decide by 9 AM Saturday who you want.

I agree with most of your ideas BUT I think we should be able to change our picks by no later than 9am ET game day only because players get hurt in practice and lets say Russell Wilson of the Seattle seahawks twists his ankle in practice Saturday and is not playing Sunday I had Seattle to win against the Patriots now I think without Wilson the Patriots will win I should be able to change my pick.

LIBERAL LOONS AMERICAS BEST ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
RWB wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
I agree with most of your ideas BUT I think we should be able to change our picks by no later than 9am ET game day only because players get hurt in practice and lets say Russell Wilson of the Seattle seahawks twists his ankle in practice Saturday and is not playing Sunday I had Seattle to win against the Patriots now I think without Wilson the Patriots will win I should be able to change my pick.

I probably am not playing but the changing picks idea is what caused an issue here if you recall. It has to be clear because if you allow changes up to 9 AM of game day Sunday then it could be argued that one can change their pick for whatever reason as well by 9 AM game night Monday if it's to their advantage. Again we know what happened.

Me, I still favor the Saturday deadline and drop the Thursday game. That way there's no changes. It's only a game and no money involved.

Anyway it's up to "you guys (and gals)" Smiley

IP Logged

JohnnyBLate
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:14am:

Put all your picks in at the same time. The Thursday game is a risk for everyone.

GOING FOR $TH CHAMPIONSHIP IN 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!
Can LEAD THE LEAGUE IN THE 21st CENTURY
(Currently tied with SF at 3)

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
JohnnyBLate wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:20pm:
Put all your picks in at the same time. The Thursday game is a risk for everyone.

That would be better as well. That was the issue last year. People employ strategies whether it is waiting to see who is hurt or waiting to see what others pick. But if one's strategy was to change the Monday game early in the day, in order to win suddenly that is not a strategy. Undecided Why not? It's not cheating if the game hasn't been played yet.

I like your idea. Picks by Thursday morning and NO changes and you don't get to play at all if you miss the Thursday game. Keeps the playing field level so to speak.  Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:44am by Abe »  

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:14am:
I like your idea. Picks by Thursday morning and NO changes and you don't get to play at all if you miss the Thursday game. Keeps the playing field level so to speak.  Wink

The reason I am against this idea is that the Thursday deadline can be too hrestrictive. You’d only have a couple of days to make your picks, and sometimes you might not be on the LNF for that amount of time.

Anyone have more suggestions or comments?

Call to sign up coming soon.  Smiley

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:25am:
The reason I am against this idea is that the Thursday deadline can be too hrestrictive. You’d only have a couple of days to make your picks, and sometimes you might not be on the LNF for that amount of time.

That's why I originally said drop playing the Thursday game and make all picks be in by say Friday midnight.

It's supposed to be a fun game not waiting until one can see what the bookies final line is or waiting as late as Sunday morning after watching a few pre-game shows. Good strategy but we know how using strategy wasn't exactly welcomed last year. I see no difference between changing a Monday night choice in order to secure a win than waiting until noon on Sunday and pretending one forgot to put their picks in. This isn't professional sports betting and last year many puts their picks in early in good faith, made no changes, only to have someone else put them in late who hand more current info. If you can wait until the last minute Sunday, then one should be allowed to change their Monday pick up until the last minute as well.

If that's the case then everyone should wait until the very last minute to pick their picks in. No reason why they can't.

Plenty of time from Monday night until say Friday to make picks.

No matter, do as all wish.  To each his or her own. Smiley

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

VYPR winner of LNF''S
FAKE CONSERVATIVE AWARD

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:25am:

I like the idea of dropping the Thursday night game and all picks must be in no later than midnight Friday.

LIBERAL LOONS AMERICAS BEST ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
RWB wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:28pm:
I like the idea of dropping the Thursday night game and all picks must be in no later than midnight Friday.

Why drop the Thursday game, though?

You might consider it a "bonus" point if you get it correct.

But if enough people want to drop the Thursday game, I'm fine with that. Please vote, folks. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereSports Forum › 2018 LNF NFL Weekly Picks discussion - Ideas, suggestions, etc.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules