Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs... (Read 177 times)
Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

THE DEMS WON THE HOUSE!
HA HA HA!

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs...
Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
After trying a number of methods, including two different automatic egg cookers, I found this recipe online and it really works so that the eggs are easy to peel and come out the way you like. I have modified it slightly.

Plus, there is no need to use older eggs to get an easy to peel result with this method. That's good because old eggs can taste a bit off sometimes.

Easy to peel hard boiled eggs.

In an eight cup saucepan, bring about six cups water with a pinch of salt to boil.

Add 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar (cider or wine vinegar will work too).

Puncture a small hole in large end of fresh eggs. Usually this is the end sticking up in the carton. This is where the air pocket is. This will help prevent cracking during the boiling.

Gently lower up to 10 eggs into gently boiling water. Bring back to gentle boil, cook for 14 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Less time for soft boiled.

When desired time has elapsed, lift out eggs with slotted spoon and plunge into ice water bath for 10 minutes.

The result should be very easy to peel. The vinegar makes the shell weaker and pull away from egg white.

Serve when cool or refrigerate.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs...
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I use very fresh eggs
Place in cold water and slowly bring to a boil
Turn off heat and cover for 20 minutes

Cool by running cold water into the hot water for 2 or 3 minutes

Gently strike both ends on the counter, then the same to the sides and all over.

One of the ends will have an air pocket. Start there and get under the skin between the egg and the shell. From there the whole thing will come off like a tangerine peel.

If you buy eggs - the three digit number stamped on the carton is the numerical day of the year that they were harvested.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

THE DEMS WON THE HOUSE!
HA HA HA!

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:08pm:
I use very fresh eggs
Place in cold water and slowly bring to a boil
Turn off heat and cover for 20 minutes

Cool by running cold water into the hot water for 2 or 3 minutes

Gently strike both ends on the counter, then the same to the sides and all over.

One of the ends will have an air pocket. Start there and get under the skin between the egg and the shell. From there the whole thing will come off like a tangerine peel.

If you buy eggs - the three digit number stamped on the carton is the numerical day of the year that they were harvested.

I urge you to try the dash of vinegar trick. It really works. No need to do fancy cooling or cracking rituals. When I get a chance I'll post the link to the study that discovered the main difference between easy peel and hard to peel is vinegar in the boil water. They tried a number of solutions, and the vinegar made the most difference.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Theres a Gorilla Behind you
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 2:38am
Print Post  
10 minutes then put in cold water bath.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
I urge you to try the dash of vinegar trick. It really works. No need to do fancy cooling or cracking rituals. When I get a chance I'll post the link to the study that discovered the main difference between easy peel and hard to peel is vinegar in the boil water. They tried a number of solutions, and the vinegar made the most difference.

I use a dash of vinegar in the water for poached eggs. I'll try it for boiled.
This may be too much vinegar.

https://youtu.be/khgOTDvG-4A

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

THE DEMS WON THE HOUSE!
HA HA HA!

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
billy.pilgrim wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 5:46pm:
I use a dash of vinegar in the water for poached eggs. I'll try it for boiled.
This may be too much vinegar.

https://youtu.be/khgOTDvG-4A

Yes, I'd say 100% vinegar (5% acetic acid) is a tad high.

I've known for some time that soaking an egg in an acid like vinegar would turn it into something like rubber. I just didn't know that a very dilute version would work magic on hard boiled eggs.

Probably the result of a combination of dissolving some (or all) of the calcium in the shell, as well as slightly denaturing the protein in the membrane and egg white.

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
Yes, I'd say 100% vinegar (5% acetic acid) is a tad high.

I've known for some time that soaking an egg in an acid like vinegar would turn it into something like rubber. I just didn't know that a very dilute version would work magic on hard boiled eggs.

Probably the result of a combination of dissolving some (or all) of the calcium in the shell, as well as slightly denaturing the protein in the membrane and egg white.

vinegar works wonders when poaching eggs.

I tried your boil method, my boil method and several variations/combinations of both.

Yours is superior, much easier to peel, more fun to watch (the stream of bubbles reminded me of the frogmen I use to get with corn flakes -  #7 on the top 50 list - https://www.mrbreakfast.com/list.asp?id=6 )

and delivers a perfectly egg-shaped egg.

I’m not sure that the vinegar has much effect on the strength of the shell but letting the air bubble out allows the egg to fill the shell evenly. The space the air once occupied seems to become evenly distributed around the entire shell, allowing for a looser fitting shell that comes off easily.

I tried the hole without the vinegar on 2 eggs. One spewed out a little stream of egg white until it cooked to plug the hole.

My guess is the vinegar acts similar to the way it keeps a poached (always use fresh) together by keeping the whites too thick to break apart (poached) or to spew out of the hole (boiled.

I thank you much. No more, ahh shit, I screwed that one up.

the wis-dum of acrhie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereCooking, Crafts, Home Decorating › Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules