Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump disappoints on Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump disappoints on Syria (Read 1,580 times)
Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Trump disappoints on Syria
Sep 7th, 2018 at 1:57am
Print Post  
From TheGuardian.com:

Quote:
Donald Trump has warned Syria that the United States would be “very angry” if forces loyal to Bashar al-Assad slaughter civilians in the country’s last rebel-held province.
Russian-led advance on Idlib could displace 700,000 Syrians

“I think it's a very sad situation in Idlib, the province, what's going on there,” Trump told reporters in the Oval office on Wednesday as he met the emir of Kuwait. “If it's a slaughter, the world is going to get very, very angry. And the United States is going to get very angry, too.”

Trump's comments came after Russian and Syrian warplanes resumed airstrikes against insurgents in the densely populated enclave.

The bombardment began just hours after Trump warned on Twitter that Assad “must not recklessly attack Idlib Province”.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/05/syria-donald-trump-idlib-slaughter...

This is a big setback for Trump, at least in my eyes. I know there are conservatives here who believe we should remain active in Syria. I, on the other hand, feel that we should just leave and let the country turn into a giant blood-filled crater. Now Trump doesn't even plan to pull our troops out and will instead keep them there "indefinitely."

I just fail to see how Syria is our business. I fail to see why we should risk the life of one single American soldier for these muslim freaks. Especially appalling is that, in opposing Asswad and the Russians, we are basically siding with terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda (correct me if I'm wrong). It just doesn't make sense.

Let all sides in this war slaughter each other, and whatever's left at the end of it, it'll be easier for us to slap around.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Stop Being Naked in the Park
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Re: Trump disappoints on Syria
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Well we haven't invaded anybody however what is the point if being there? We've accomplished nothing....ever.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 1:57am:
Especially appalling is that, in opposing Asswad and the Russians, we are basically siding with terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes! You are correct! We're siding with people who actually attacked America over a relatively secular government, led by Assad, a guy who shaves his face and wears a suit.

Because it's pipeline politics. Because Saudi Arabia would rather not have Assad in power. Because Russia is friends with Syria.

These are the reasons. And they are not Trump's alone, and they have nothing to do with humanitarianism. And there is no better illustration of the power of the deep state, and the behind-closed-doors cooperation of the two parties.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

LOCK HIM UP!

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
None of this makes much sense.

Assad is a murderous dictator - so he should be one of those with whom Trump wants to be Best Friends Forever.

Roll Eyes

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Our media, our Democrats, and the "anonymous sources working against the president from within" want war with Russia.

This is how you get justification for a war with Russia.

Fine.  Whatever.  I guess.  I can't stress how little I give a shit about Assad, about Syria, and about the Syrian people.  But whatever.  Let's get it over with.

And you all wonder why I'm so hostile and disgusted by Democrats. 

A true liberal position would be acknowledging our missteps with Russia over the past 25 years and our violation of agreements with them.  A true liberal position would be acknowledging the reality of how we totally crappity smacked up the post cold war peace process, and realizing we need to be the ones making the first moves towards reconciliation.   

But let's give this new illiberal neoleftism a try.  It seems super popular.  Must be something to it, right?

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  

Oh, we're "very angry;" I'm sure that will strike fear into the hearts of Assad, Russia and Iran. /sarcasm

We've screwed this particular pooch long enough, but don't court on us pulling out any time soon: "Trump agrees to an indefinite military effort and new diplomatic push in Syria, U.S. officials say."

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 6:21am:
Yes! You are correct! We're siding with people who actually attacked America over a relatively secular government, led by Assad, a guy who shaves his face and wears a suit.

Because it's pipeline politics. Because Saudi Arabia would rather not have Assad in power. Because Russia is friends with Syria.

These are the reasons...

I think it's a little more complex than that given all the parties involved.

Turkey is making a play in Syria (under the rationale of fighting terrorists, i.e., our Kurdish allies). Israel is attacking Iranian positions there. We are there fighting ISIS (I'd argue unconstitutionally/illegally so), supporting the rebels is some meager way, while also unintentionally supplying weapons to our enemies, such as AQ (because we didn't properly vet who we were supporting in a war zone). We have also ineffectually tried to stop Assad from using chemical weapons through diplomacy and air strikes. The Saudis are probably more concerned about the Iranian presence in Syria, just as Israel is.

There's a lot going on, and frankly, we don't have a real strategy for handling or addressing it, and haven't since this conflict began. Instead, we're going to keep muddling along until Assad completes his reconquest with the help of Russia and Iran.

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:33am:
Our media, our Democrats, and the "anonymous sources working against the president from within" want war with Russia.

This is how you get justification for a war with Russia.

Fine.  Whatever.  I guess.  I can't stress how little I give a shit about Assad, about Syria, and about the Syrian people.  But whatever.  Let's get it over with.

And you all wonder why I'm so hostile and disgusted by Democrats. 

A true liberal position would be acknowledging our missteps with Russia over the past 25 years and our violation of agreements with them.  A true liberal position would be acknowledging the reality of how we totally crappity smacked up the post cold war peace process, and realizing we need to be the ones making the first moves towards reconciliation.   

But let's give this new illiberal neoleftism a try.  It seems super popular.  Must be something to it, right?

Queshank

So the Dems, media, etc is manipulating Trump or something into leaving our troops in a losing war in order for Russia to accidentally drop bombs on our troops so they get riled up to start a war with Russia?

I just don't see how the media, Dems, etc, is forcing Trump to keep our troops there to start war with Russia.  It just doesn't seem to logically follow.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:13pm:
Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

Josie
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Trumpublican

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Syria is a problem for us and for Israel...letting Iran get that close to Israel is a security risk for them and Syrian refugees are a security risk for all of us.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  

Josie wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
Syria is a problem for us and for Israel...letting Iran get that close to Israel is a security risk for them and Syrian refugees are a security risk for all of us.

There was a way to handle refugees a long time ago when all this started. In fact, that should have been our entire focus instead of arming and training rebel forces (some of which turned out to be our enemies). We're now in a quagmire we can't/won't get out of.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
So the Dems, media, etc is manipulating Trump or something into leaving our troops in a losing war in order for Russia to accidentally drop bombs on our troops so they get riled up to start a war with Russia?

I just don't see how the media, Dems, etc, is forcing Trump to keep our troops there to start war with Russia.  It just doesn't seem to logically follow.

Who said anything about manipulating?

Replace the word with "forcing" and see if it doesn't start working out in the logic puzzle.

It's not specifically Syria.  And it's not this one instance. 

But the only way you could be having problems with this logic train is if you don't believe there are hawks within our state department and national security apparatus that believe we should be invading Syria outright.  And you'd have to have missed the news about a resistance within the executive branch designed to keep America's policies on an Establishment Republican ala John McCain approved even keel by defying the president on a regular basis.

And you'd have to not read biographies and accounts of presidents in past situations similar to this such as Nixon (I recommend PBS's recent VietNam multihour documentary) and Clinton and Bush and Obama who have been forced into taking military actions they don't want to do just to prove they aren't weak in an area they're being politically hammered.  And then to hold on to that position you'd have had to simply not read or watch the news on any given day within the past two years.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Trump disappoints on Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules