Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism (Read 872 times)
stu_gatze
LNF Speaker

Conservatism today, tommorow..&
forever!

Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism
Sep 9th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  

Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism

By: AP
8 Sep 2018

NEW YORK (AP) — The events and the arguing and the booing that would make this a U.S. Open final unlike any other began when Serena Williams’ coach made what she insisted was an innocent thumbs-up, but the chair umpire interpreted as a helpful signal.

It was the second game of the second set Saturday, in a packed Arthur Ashe Stadium, and Williams’ bid for a record-tying 24th Grand Slam title already was in real trouble because she was being outplayed by first-time major finalist Naomi Osaka.

Chair umpire Carlos Ramos warned Williams for getting coaching during a match, which isn’t allowed. She briefly disputed that ruling, saying cheating “is the one thing I’ve never done, ever.” A few games later, Williams received another warning, this time for smashing her racket, and that second violation cost her a point, drawing more arguing. Eventually, Willams called Ramos “a thief,” drawing a third violation — and costing her a game.

“I have never cheated in my life!” Williams told Ramos. “You owe me an apology:”

Soon, Osaka was finishing off a 6-2, 6-4 victory that made her the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam singles title. That is not, however, what will be remembered about this match.

MORE>https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/09/08/williams-loses-game-arguing-during-u...

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
I'm not a big sports watcher, but I saw this comment by Bill Kristol today on Twitter, so I thought I'd share it here:

"After reading a bit and watching some clips, I've got to say I'm sympathetic to Serena Williams. Why? NOT because I'm woke. Rather because I'm a traditional fan hostile to intrusive & snowflake-like umpiring, an American who roots for other Americans, & an admirer of excellence."

"Have you ever noticed that? We base our assessment of the intelligence of others almost entirely on how closely their thinking matches our own. "

-Belgarath, from Belgarath the Sorcerer
IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Williams is an amazing athlete. In this case she was ousted by a player who happened to outplay her. 6-3 6-4 is a pretty solid win. Williams should have focused less on the umpire.

IP Logged

AmericanMom
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Williams needs to grow up, being a good athlete does not give anyone the right to think they are so high on their pedestal they cannot be knocked down... The way Naomi Osaka was treated was absolutely ridiculous and shameful.

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam.

Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost.

Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.

Here was a young girl who pulled off one of the greatest upsets ever, who fought for every point she earned, ashamed.

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
AmericanMom wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:25am:
Williams needs to grow up, being a good athlete does not give anyone the right to think they are so high on their pedestal they cannot be knocked down... The way Naomi Osaka was treated was absolutely ridiculous and shameful.

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam.

Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost.

Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.

Here was a young girl who pulled off one of the greatest upsets ever, who fought for every point she earned, ashamed.

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/

Shameful treatment by all of the winner.  If a mistake was made, she is not the one who made it.   Tennis is a game.  All games have rules.  All games have some sort of judging, whether by an official or the general public.  100% of those involved rarely, if ever, agree 100% of the time.   It was ruled that Serena lost the game.   

Perhaps she should retire.

IMO, she and the crowd brought shame to tennis and to the U.S., whom she represented.

Osaka deserves a huge apology from all involved.

IP Logged

AmericanMom
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:49am:
Shameful treatment by all of the winner.  If a mistake was made, she is not the one who made it.   Tennis is a game.  All games have rules.  All games have some sort of judging, whether by an official or the general public.  100% of those involved rarely, if ever, agree 100% of the time.   It was ruled that Serena lost the game.   

IMO, she and the crowd brought shame to tennis and to the U.S., whom she represented.

Agreed!

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:17am:
I'm not a big sports watcher, but I saw this comment by Bill Kristol today on Twitter, so I thought I'd share it here:

"After reading a bit and watching some clips, I've got to say I'm sympathetic to Serena Williams. Why? NOT because I'm woke. Rather because I'm a traditional fan hostile to intrusive & snowflake-like umpiring, an American who roots for other Americans, & an admirer of excellence."

Yeah, funny that John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors who were known for their temper tantrums were never penalized in the same way.

Jasmine wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 8:49am:

Why should she retire.  She became angry at a game and was penalized.  She did not dishonor the champ.  It was the audience because they felt that the 3 point penalty was unfair.  Serna has nothing to apologize for.  She did not disrespect her opponent, the audience did.

Yes, I heard about this. Just goes to show McLame’s true loyalties. Hopefully, Trump won’t go to his funeral very, very soon.

I'll try but it might be beyond my ability. Insulting is "like 90% of what I do here."

IP Logged

Jiminy Cricket
LNF Representative

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Williams. Should take a knee. Also, remember this rule: never do what authority tells you...rather, do the opposite and the complain about unfair treatment or consequences...whether it is obeying an officer or an umpire.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Jiminy Cricket wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 1:30pm:
Williams. Should take a knee. Also, remember this rule: never do what authority tells you...rather, do the opposite and the complain about unfair treatment or consequences...whether it is obeying an officer or an umpire.

Yeah, that is only the rule for black people.  How about McEnro and Connors.  Those rules never applied to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Williams Loses Game for Arguing During US Open, Claims Sexism

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules