Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Historical Differences In The Accounts Of Jesus Birth according to Matthew/Luke?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Historical Differences In The Accounts Of Jesus Birth according to Matthew/Luke? (Read 306 times)
Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Historical Differences In The Accounts Of Jesus Birth according to Matthew/Luke?
Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 2:53pm:
It helps to support your case if one can prove it is fictional.  You know, like glaring historical accounts that can be proven false through uncovered history.  Take for instance Jesus, truth or fiction?  If he never existed proving it should be relatively easy.  It is not, as there are other historical accounts far closer to the events that substantiate this man the Bible spoke of.

I think it’s a straw man actually Seawolf to suggest there’s a powerful movement saying ‘Jesus is fictional’.

He pretty certainly existed; the debate is on different ground.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Historical Differences In The Accounts Of Jesus Birth according to Matthew/Luke?
Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 3:52pm:
I think it’s a straw man actually Seawolf to suggest there’s a powerful movement saying ‘Jesus is fictional’.

Actually, the question of his existence is moot. He's definitely partly fictional, the question is more what part is fictional and what part isn't. It's likely that the nonfictional part is so unremarkable as to make him virtually a fictional character. Just as if someone two thousand years from now tells my story and adds that I had superpowers, could heal the blind, raise the dead from their grave and turn water into wine. Someone could prove that I existed and it wouldn't prove that I could do those things.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 3:52pm:

I used it as an example, not a straw man.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 4:18pm:
Actually, the question of his existence is moot. He's definitely partly fictional, the question is more what part is fictional and what part isn't. It's likely that the nonfictional part is so unremarkable as to make him virtually a fictional character. Just as if someone two thousand years from now tells my story and adds that I had superpowers, could heal the blind, raise the dead from their grave and turn water into wine. Someone could prove that I existed and it wouldn't prove that I could do those things.

Except there are witnesses.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm:

How many of these "witnesses" gave undelayed direct written accounts of what they saw?

I believe that number is zero.

When Q hears gallop noises he doesn't think zebras; he thinks there's a Democrat behind a curtain, making gallop noises.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm:

Hm, well.

Yes there certainly were witnesses to the life of the historical Jesus.

It’s not really any kind of proof at all to have what amounts to supernatural activity simply asserted, is it?

Archæologists recently found a high status citadel complex on Tintagel, exactly contemporary with the time frame given for King Arthur.

It’s likely there was a historic Arthur. Hard to prove as we’ve only three dozen or so written documents from AD 409-600 in England.

Those legends; a magical sword, the not-dead-but-sleeping. The once and future King.

Are they true?

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:30pm:
How many of these "witnesses" gave undelayed direct written accounts of what they saw?

I believe that number is zero.
sorry, those remarks are purely b.s.. 

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #17 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:38pm:
Hm, well.

Yes there certainly were witnesses to the life of the historical Jesus.

It’s not really any kind of proof at all to have what amounts to supernatural activity simply asserted, is it?

Archæologists recently found a high status citadel complex on Tintagel, exactly contemporary with the time frame given for King Arthur.

It’s likely there was a historic Arthur. Hard to prove as we’ve only three dozen or so written documents from AD 409-600 in England.

Those legends; a magical sword, the not-dead-but-sleeping. The once and future King.

Are they true?

I have cited numerous sources which you wish to ignore.  Not much else to discuss if you simply wish not to accept what they personally witnessed.  Aside from that what are you showing me that should bring me any doubt?  You not one clue regarding what our family witnessed and nothing you can offer will explain it away.  Yes, you can laugh at me, try to shame me or attempt to embarrass me but it has zero bearing.  You are betting your soul and the cost of being wrong is eternal.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 5:51pm:
I have cited numerous sources which you wish to ignore.  Not much else to discuss if you simply wish not to accept what they personally witnessed.  Aside from that what are you showing me that should bring me any doubt?  You not one clue regarding what our family witnessed and nothing you can offer will explain it away.  Yes, you can laugh at me, try to shame me or attempt to embarrass me but it has zero bearing.  You are betting your soul and the cost of being wrong is eternal.

I’m not trying to shame you, laugh at you or embarrass you. Stop being so paranoid.

We’re talking about the difference between proof and belief.

There’s no spin on this ball.

I do wonder why you feel a need to try proving stuff though.

If you want to prove the divinity of Christ tova non believer you’ll need some better ammunition than anything you’ve shot so far.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 8:36pm:
I’m not trying to shame you, laugh at you or embarrass you. Stop being so paranoid.

We’re talking about the difference between proof and belief.

There’s no spin on this ball.

I do wonder why you feel a need to try proving stuff though.

If you want to prove the divinity of Christ tova non believer you’ll need some better ammunition than anything you’ve shot so far.

You have offered nothing but out and out dismissal of links of history and evidence.  No point in carrying on this conversation when the end result will be the same.  After all, your choice and not my job to try and convince you otherwise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereReligion Forum › Historical Differences In The Accounts Of Jesus Birth according to Matthew/Luke?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules