Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Happy Columbus Day! (Read 1,233 times)
Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Re: Happy Columbus Day!
Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:04am
Print Post  
JohnnyBLate wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:54am:
Thanks Big C

One of Columbus’ men, Bartolome De Las Casas, was so mortified by Columbus’ brutal atrocities against the native peoples, that he quit working for Columbus and became a Catholic priest.  He described how the Spaniards under Columbus’ command cut off the legs of children who ran from them, to test the sharpness of their blades.  According to De Las Casas, the men made bets as to who, with one sweep of his sword, could cut a person in half.  He says that Columbus’ men poured people full of boiling soap.  In a single day, De Las Casas was an eye witness as the Spanish soldiers dismembered, beheaded, or raped 3000 native people.  “Such inhumanities and barbarisms were committed in my sight as no age can parallel,” De Las Casas wrote.  “My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that now I tremble as I write.”

Have a good one.

IP Logged

JohnnyBLate
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:47am:
Facing extermination, the Arawaks organized and attempted to fight back against the Spaniards. But they were little match against the armor, muskets, swords and horses of the Europeans. The Spaniards hung or burned Indians that they took captive. By this point, the Arawaks began committing mass suicides. They fed cassava poison to their infants to save them from the Spanish. In two years, half of the 250,000 Indians on Haiti were dead, either through murder, mutilation or suicide. By 1550, there were 500 Indians. By 1650, the Arawaks had been wiped out from the island.

Associated Press file

Have a good one....

Slaves then took over Hati. How's that working out today? Grin

GOING FOR $TH CHAMPIONSHIP IN 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!
Can LEAD THE LEAGUE IN THE 21st CENTURY
(Currently tied with SF at 3)

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Waking in a Wally Wonderland wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:03am:

Christopher Columbus had a great achievement by any standard !

On his second trip to the New World, Columbus brought cannons and attack dogs.  If a native resisted slavery, he would cut off a nose or an ear.  If slaves tried to escape, Columbus had them burned alive.  Other times, he sent attack dogs to hunt them down, and the dogs would tear off the arms and legs of the screaming natives while they were still alive.  If the Spaniards ran short of meat to feed the dogs, Arawak babies were killed for dog food.

Have a good one.

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Coumbus and his crew were very brave men and explorers.  Yes, "slaves" were captured and hundreds of them died on the ships being taken to other continents.  That is no different than the hundreds of pilgrims who died on the ships on their way to the New World.

Personally, I'm glad that somewhere in my ancestry someone made the journey to this continent and this nation.  As in all things and discoveries, there are the bad and the good.  The same can be said about the discovery of this Continent and the eventual founding of the United States.   I have no idea where I would be living, if I would be living, if Columbus had not done his exploring venture.

Thanks Christopher Columbus.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Speaker

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:24am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:19am:
Coumbus and his crew were very brave men and explorers.  Yes, "slaves" were captured and hundreds of them died on the ships being taken to other continents.  That is no different than the hundreds of pilgrims who died on the ships on their way to the New World.

Personally, I'm glad that somewhere in my ancestry someone made the journey to this continent and this nation.  As in all things and discoveries, there are the bad and the good.  The same can be said about the discovery of this Continent and the eventual founding of the United States.   I have no idea where I would be living, if I would be living, if Columbus had not done his exploring venture.

Quote:
That is no different than the hundreds of pilgrims who died on the ships on their way to the New World.

Probably just a little different being one was taking against their will? Roll Eyes

In other words, one was free while the other was not! Grin Shocked

Holy chit Crepe!

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Waking in a Wally Wonderland
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:27am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:19am:

The Left want to make this achievement all about Slavery and exploitation of colored people by evil white men.

Slavery was pretty wide spread all over the Old World in the 16th century and it wasn't just black people.  However, the native tribes of Africa had themselves in engaged in slavery since the dawn of time, just as native American tribes had.  By the way, the first African slaves came to America in 1620, after the American colonies were pretty well established.  These slaves were brought in a Dutch ship to the English colony of Virginia..  They captured these slaves from a Spanish ship.  Everyone had slaves at one time or another.  Gradually, some nations did away with slavery, even though it still exits today in sub-Sahara Africa!

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Waking in a Wally Wonderland wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:27am:
The Left want to make this achievement all about Slavery and exploitation of colored people by evil white men.

Slavery was pretty wide spread all over the Old World in the 16th century and it wasn't just black people.  However, the native tribes of Africa had themselves in engaged in slavery since the dawn of time, just as native American tribes had.  By the way, the first African slaves came to America in 1620, after the American colonies were pretty well established.  These slaves were brought in a Dutch ship to the English colony of Virginia..  They captured these slaves from a Spanish ship.  Everyone had slaves at one time or another.  Gradually, some nations did away with slavery, even though it still exits today in sub-Sahara Africa!

Errrrmmmm but that is exactly what it was Wally.

Brutal invasion, genocide, by hypocrites who pretended to be Christian.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:20am:
Anyone else remember when we used to celebrate this day as a nation?

Have a good one. Smiley

I prefer to sit here today with righteous indignation and judge the actions of people from 530 years ago.

I shake my fist at them with as much outrage as I can muster and pat myself on the back for my moral superiority. Were I alive back then, I'm certain I would have fought to prevent such injustice.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Waking in a Wally Wonderland
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:06am:
Errrrmmmm but that is exactly what it was Wally.

Brutal invasion, genocide, by hypocrites who pretended to be Christian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin  Brits had a colonial empire and allowed slavery in their colonies even after the abolished in in jolly old England.  They outlawed importing slaves from Africa to their colonies, so you guys allowed establishing breeding colonies in Haiti and Jamaica!  (to continue importing slaves into you colonies in America)

By the way, Americans inherited this mess when we revolted against King & country in 1776! We could not resolve the matter of slavery and still have a nation in 1789 so we decided to work on correcting this problem we inherited from the Brits and build our new nation.  In 1812 the Brits thought us still too fragile a newly formed nation to repel your invasion, but we did.  In a little more than fifty year after this unsuccessful attempt of Britain to regain you colonies and after many attempts to do away with slavery, the Republican Party was born with the express purpose of abolishing slavery in the United States of America.  Democrats walked away in an attempt to dissolve our union.  The side of the slave owning  Democrats was aided by a foreign power.  Who was that.  Oh yeah, it was the Brits!  So get off your High Horse! 

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:13am:
I prefer to sit here today with righteous indignation and judge the actions of people from 530 years ago.

I shake my fist at them with as much outrage as I can muster and pat myself on the back for my moral superiority. Were I alive back then, I'm certain I would have fought to prevent such injustice.

Translation: ..  If I seem callously indifferent it is by standing on the shoulders of giant hypocrites.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules