Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Happy Columbus Day! (Read 1,231 times)
Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Re: Happy Columbus Day!
Reply #100 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:08am:
Hilarious.. You STILL have a problem with knowing things.. F'king unbelievable..

If that's how you want to interpret what I said, then that's fine. Be my guest. I am not under the impression that you actually want to discuss anything on these boards. I believe you are here to virtue signal, and all the dopamine rush that such signaling entails for you.

Fiddler wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:08am:
Sure.. But accomplishments and respect by honoring are different things..

Ok.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #101 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:09am:
Because it didn't mark anything. It did not lead to the colonization of the Western Hemisphere. It wasn't on the historical path to the country most of us live within. It was not a milestone.

Columbus-defenders here have been posting that his achievement alone is worth celebration, regardless of what happened later.  The vikings had the same achievement, but you're saying it DOES matter what happened later.

And the "what happened later" is exactly the sticking point, here.  It marked the end of a number of human civilizations.

The descendants of euro settlers are happy to have this as our home, but we would have had a home regardless.  In Europe.

I was born here, and this is my home.  But I won't pretend that this was some glorious destiny handed to us free for the taking.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Senior Staffer6
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #102 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
There are lots of threads about abortion. You could even start a new one. If you do can I join in and start talking about something else, you idiot?

I just irrefutably pointed out the left's hypocrisy...the hypocrisy that you evidently don't want to be pointed out.

That's why I call out idiots who support and defend the slaughter of thousands of children in abortion mills in our time while at the same time criticizing a historical figure like Columbus for his ancient transgressions.

I can't make you smart enough to get the point; you have to make an effort to get there on your own.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. P.J. ORourke

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #103 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:25am:
Columbus-defenders here have been posting that his achievement alone is worth celebration, regardless of what happened later.  The vikings had the same achievement, but you're saying it DOES matter what happened later.

Sure. I find Columbus's journey interesting and the accomplishment, whatever the intent, inspiring. I offer that very few people alive can really relate to what sort of risk it would be to sail off into the complete unknown. The sort of savage that is required to do that, and that savagery was exemplified again and again by the explorers of that age.

But what happened as a result of this early expedition is important as well, to see what Columbus's voyage set off in terms of the colonization of the Western Hemisphere. It is on the critical path to the birth of the US.

And the "what happened later" is exactly the sticking point, here.  It marked the end of a number of human civilizations.

Yup.

The descendants of euro settlers are happy to have this as our home, but we would have had a home regardless.  In Europe.

Well, that's an interesting point. Because I certainly would never have been born, right? Nor my father, though his parents were born elsewhere. On my mother's side, it goes back a bit further.

Perhaps it is the "we" where we might not be able to have this discussion without clarification. I would not exist without the colonization of the Western Hemisphere by Europeans. My parents would not exist.

If you mean "we" as in "white people", I don't really care about that in 2018.

I was born here, and this is my home.  But I won't pretend that this was some glorious destiny handed to us free for the taking.

Ok. But this is the world we live in. And the death of the Native American civilizations was going to happen regardless, if we are to believe that disease is what destroyed the vast bulk of the people here.

There was no way around it.

You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #104 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:46am:
Completely missing the point. I've responded to this a number of times in this thread.

I don't mind knowing about all of the sins of historical figures.

But nearly every historical figure from the distant past has very dark sins, because they were from a different world, raised in that world based on the norms and morals of that world.

Yet these historical figures (the Khans, explorers like Cortez and Columbus, Alexander, Caesar, the Ashurbanipals of Assyria, the Founding Freaking Fathers) shaped the world in which we live.

To discuss them with awe and their accomplishments with respect is ok, even knowing their iniquities. Their accomplishments can be discussed in a positive light without the know-it-alls and SJWs of 2018 helpfully reminding us that they slaughtered thousands or millions of tens of millions of people.

So these Libertarian rights started when? 

Y’know, the natural ones about property and violence.

Did they just pop out of nowhere sometime?

When? Who were they for? What was the change between the moment they didn’t apply (sometime after Columbus) and the moment they did (sometime before now)?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #105 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:14pm:
So these Libertarian rights started when? 

Y’know, the natural ones about property and violence.

Did they just pop out of nowhere sometime?

When? Who were they for? What was the change between the moment they didn’t apply (sometime after Columbus) and the moment they did (sometime before now)?

The morality has always existed. The rights as well.

I’ve called Columbus’s actions immoral right here in this thread.

Still, it’s fascinating learning about these historical figures raised in completely different times. And their actions helped shape the world we live in. Some of their more inspiring actions are difficult to even fathom in today’s relatively soft, known world.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Speaker

Reply #106 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:27am
Print Post  
admin wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
- actually today is the same - primitive

- leftists killing millions by abortion
- leftists drugged up on pot
- leftists run propaganda news so people are ignorant

That sir, is a whole another subject change Wink

If I could, I would do what you did to me and start a thread with that Wink

But, mine was related while yours is not Wink

So much injustice to poor little serfs like myself Grin

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #107 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Luther wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:27am:
That sir, is a whole another subject change Wink

If I could, I would do what you did to me and start a thread with that Wink

But, mine was related while yours is not Wink

So much injustice to poor little serfs like myself Grin

You have a history of whining about your threads to the admin:

billy.pilgrim wrote on May 18th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
Just curious. Why do you take my threads and merge them with ones created after mine?

Yesterday you eventook my factual title and merged it with one with your typical unsupported bs in the title.

IP Logged

Luther
LNF Speaker

Reply #108 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Abe wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:57am:
You have a history of whining about your threads to the admin:

Trust me Abe, you have a way .... way..... bigger history of whining about threads Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

After all, you're a Drama queen  Wink

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #109 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Luther wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:04am:
Trust me Abe, you have a way .... way..... bigger history of whining about threads Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Wrong as usual. My "whining" as you call it was factual and never about threads...just like it's a fact that you are billy the dolt who does a drive by every morning and still thinks that no one knows who you are. Right Bezuhkov? Why would I trust you? You can't even explain the nonsense that you peddled here for over a year.

Time for "breakfast" yet?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules