Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Happy Columbus Day! (Read 1,235 times)
BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Re: Happy Columbus Day!
Reply #90 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 11:52am:
Of course he was an "aszhole". He was a lunatic explorer in the 15th century.

I'm not sure it adds anything to recognize this obvious truth, or to cast judgment from the comfort of 2018.

Jefferson, Henry, Madison, Washington... Lots of slave owners. And they were doing something very immoral.

But what good does it do to view these things from today with our fists shaking mightily? Would we have been lone abolitionists in 1768?

Would we have been righteous sailors in 1492, willing (or forced) to go on probable suicide missions into the unknown?

We run the risk of not learning about the positive attributes of historical figures, perhaps using that as inspiration, when we focus on their iniquities to the exclusion of what was actually risked and accomplished.

Who said anything about focusing?  Taking things into account is not synonymous with focussing on them.

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #91 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:03pm:
Okay, he had some "flaws."  For that we should take down all those stinkin' statues, abolish a holiday, and rename towns in all 50 states?????

Why not? The Russians did it after the fall of the USSR. Are we less enlightened than the Russians?

FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #92 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:37pm:
http://emergewithus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

"Don't bother me talking about today's genocide....I'm too busy trashing a guy from 500 years ago!"

There are lots of threads about abortion.

You could even start a new one.

If you do can I join in and start talking about something else, you idiot?

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #93 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:22pm:
Who said anything about focusing?  Taking things into account is not synonymous with focussing on them.

Did you read the thread?

Fiddler posted 1,743 posts with shocking evidence that a lunatic in the 15th century who would sail into the unknown was also an asshole.

That’s focus, brother.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #94 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:10pm:
Did you read the thread?

Fiddler posted 1,743 posts with shocking evidence that a lunatic in the 15th century who would sail into the unknown was also an asshole.

That’s focus, brother.

Be that as it may, it hardly counterbalances centuries of unquestioned adulation.

FC,

Queshank

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #95 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:10pm:
Did you read the thread?

That’s focus, brother.

Oouuuu... Knowing things is scary .. ooooooooooooooo

LMAO ... Do you wear that big red nose out in public?

Look.. Harry is an asshole.. Henry Ford was an asshole.. YOU are an asshole.. Columbus was a perverse murder.. a sadistic torturer,  a child sex trafficker.. a slave trader.. a genocidal thug..  (But he was a Christian so I guess he can't be all bad.. amIright Seawolf?)   

Five hundred years separation from these events changes nothing about their heinousness and the message to be taken from it..  Claiming that others were perverse murders, sadistic torturers, child sex traffickers, slave traders, or genocidal thugs changes nothing.  Far more were not. 

It's puzzling.  Demoting him to 'asshole' as you're doggedly trying to do just doesn't jibe with your weakness for nested hypotheticals and your storied whydoesitmatterisms.. Where's the round of "it could be worse" we've come to expect from the always salient rabbit?

As the historical illiterate OP'er starts out honoring a despicable historical figure, putting that figure into perspective (this is/was a discussion forum) seems within the scope of potential responses.  Who could have ever imagined that you'd go apeshit over a history lesson..

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #96 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:28am:
Oouuuu... Knowing things is scary .. ooooooooooooooo

LMAO ... Do you wear that big red nose out in public?

Look.. Harry is an asshole.. Henry Ford was an asshole.. YOU are an asshole.. Columbus was a perverse murder.. a sadistic torturer,  a child sex trafficker.. a slave trader.. a genocidal thug..  (But he was a Christian so I guess he can't be all bad.. amIright Seawolf?)   

Five hundred years separation from these events changes nothing about their heinousness and the message to be taken from it..  Claiming that others were perverse murders, sadistic torturers, child sex traffickers, slave traders, or genocidal thugs changes nothing.  Far more were not. 

It's puzzling.  Demoting him to 'asshole' as you're doggedly trying to do just doesn't jibe with your weakness for nested hypotheticals and your storied whydoesitmatterisms.. Where's the round of "it could be worse" we've come to expect from the always salient rabbit?

As the historical illiterate OP'er starts out honoring a despicable historical figure, putting that figure into perspective (this is/was a discussion forum) seems within the scope of potential responses.  Who could have ever imagined that you'd go apeshit over a history lesson..

Completely missing the point. I've responded to this a number of times in this thread.

I don't mind knowing about all of the sins of historical figures.

But nearly every historical figure from the distant past has very dark sins, because they were from a different world, raised in that world based on the norms and morals of that world.

Yet these historical figures (the Khans, explorers like Cortez and Columbus, Alexander, Caesar, the Ashurbanipals of Assyria, the Founding Freaking Fathers) shaped the world in which we live.

To discuss them with awe and their accomplishments with respect is ok, even knowing their iniquities. Their accomplishments can be discussed in a positive light without the know-it-alls and SJWs of 2018 helpfully reminding us that they slaughtered thousands or millions of tens of millions of people.

You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #97 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
The vikings managed to discover the Americas and meet native Americans WITHOUT getting into that whole genocide thing.  Their feat was even more impressive, particularly since it took place hundreds of years earlier.  Why not change it to Vikings Day?

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #98 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:46am:
without the know-it-alls

Hilarious.. You STILL have a problem with knowing things.. F'king unbelievable..

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 10:46am:
Their accomplishments can be discussed in a positive light

Sure.. But accomplishments and respect by honoring are different things..

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #99 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:03am:
The vikings managed to discover the Americas and meet native Americans WITHOUT getting into that whole genocide thing.  Their feat was even more impressive, particularly since it took place hundreds of years earlier.  Why not change it to Vikings Day?

Because it didn't mark anything. It did not lead to the colonization of the Western Hemisphere. It wasn't on the historical path to the country most of us live within. It was not a milestone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Happy Columbus Day!

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules