Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › How America feels about Trump
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How America feels about Trump (Read 238 times)
EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: How America feels about Trump
Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 1:09pm:
EF, that is an excellent point.  Sometimes the right thing to do is not a popular move. Examples are immigration and tariffs.  Both are criticized, but I would say that Trump is headed in the right direction on each of those issues.

Maybe.  But here's a link about the effect of those tariffs.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ford-announces-plan-lay-off-083519387.html

It's amazing the lengths to which some libs will go to make Der Fuhrer look bad, isn't it?

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I have to question the judgement of anyone who thinks tariffs are the right track. Are we tossing out 300 years of economic wisdom?

Are we going to show Adam Smith and Ricardo were really wrong? We can tax ourselves into prosperity? We can get rich by trading less?

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Senior Staffer6
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
I have to question the judgement of anyone who thinks tariffs are the right track. Are we tossing out 300 years of economic wisdom?

Are we going to show Adam Smith and Ricardo were really wrong? We can tax ourselves into prosperity? We can get rich by trading less?

Tariffs were the main source of federal revenue until the Woodrow Wilson era.  Were we unwise from 1789 to 1913? I have to question the judgement of anyone who thinks that tariffs weren't a staple of the nation at one time.

In a utopian world, tariffs are bad (and unnecessary, of course).  But as a tool to apply pressure on countries that have their own restrictive policies against American exports, tariffs are not bad.  As a federal revenue source, tariffs are preferred.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. P.J. ORourke

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
What matters is what *I* think of Trump. And so far, I think he is doing an overall good job. About a gazillion times better than a President Hillary could have done.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

I agree, but it seems Trump's end goal is to attain a more favorable deal for us. In that respect, I'm willing to go along with it. It helps that our economy is strong, so we negotiate from a position of strength.

Whether it's a military war or trade war, the only thing that matters is winning.

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:03pm:
Tariffs were the main source of federal revenue until the Woodrow Wilson era.  Were we unwise from 1789 to 1913? I have to question the judgement of anyone who thinks that tariffs weren't a staple of the nation at one time.

That was to collect revenue not to grow the economy.

Taxes also collect revenue. But we wouldn't be so naive as to think we can grow the economy by raising them.

Quote:
In a utopian world, tariffs are bad (and unnecessary, of course).  But as a tool to apply pressure on countries that have their own restrictive policies against American exports, tariffs are not bad.  As a federal revenue source, tariffs are preferred.

In the real world, tariffs harm economies. They reduce living standards.

As a protective tool or as a negotiating tactic, tariffs are bad. We harm ourselves as much as our trading partners when we raise them.

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Senior Staffer6
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
That was to collect revenue not to grow the economy.

Taxes also collect revenue. But we wouldn't be so naive as to think we can grow the economy by raising them.

In the real world, tariffs harm economies. They reduce living standards.

As a protective tool or as a negotiating tactic, tariffs are bad. We harm ourselves as much as our trading partners when we raise them.

So, I guess in your version of history, our economy withered and died between 1789 and 1913, correct? Or did we actually grow exponentially during the time that significant tariffs were in place?

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. P.J. ORourke

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

REDACTED

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:31pm:
So, I guess in your version of history, our economy withered and died between 1789 and 1913, correct? Or did we actually grow exponentially during the time that significant tariffs were in place?

Factors that helped America grow in its first century:

1) Largely unrestricted immigration

2) End of slavery

3) Rise of industry

4) Louisiana Purchase, gain of American Southwest from Mexico, gain of Pacific Northwest

5) Subsequent mass westward migration/settlement

Tariffs had little to nothing to do with our growth. They are essentially a tax on American consumers, camouflaged as protection of American producers. They have a net negative effect on the national economy. They may have a net positive effect on Toad's ego.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:31pm:
So, I guess in your version of history, our economy withered and died between 1789 and 1913, correct?

That would be a poor read and bad reasoning.

The economy did great during this time. But it was not because of tariffs. It was in spite of them.

We also had price controls in US history, not to mention incredibly high personal income tax rates. And we had high growth.

But who would be so foolish as to say that such growth was caused by price controls or high taxes?

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
True or False:

If we are in a bad trade deal, and we force a new deal that is more beneficial to us, that is a good thing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › How America feels about Trump

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules