Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Gay cake Christian baker win in UK court
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gay cake Christian baker win in UK court (Read 628 times)
EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Re: Gay cake Christian baker win in UK court
Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Yes.. it was ..

Christians used the bible to justify owning slaves..

But they were not enslaving BECAUSE of religious beliefs.  They were enslaving because of money.  There is a difference.

Where they made their mistake was when asked "How do you reconcile your stated Christian beliefs to your ownership of human beings also made in the image of God?" they should have answered "I don't.  I just compartmentalize it so I can keep making all this money" rather than "Well, it's in the BIBLE!"

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:58am:
Society and common sense.

Hm. By a mechanism called 'law'.

Under Capitalism, Man exploits Man.

Under Communism, it's the exact opposite.

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Senior Staffer6
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:01pm:
Hm. By a mechanism called 'law'.

Do tell.

I'm certainly not advocating for anarchy, just minimal interference from the government as originally envisioned (well, envisioned as a republic by my ancestors;I'm assuming your ancestors were on the other side) We have laws against theft, rape and murder as well, all based on common sense moral standards.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. P.J. ORourke

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:58pm:
Do tell.

I'm certainly not advocating for anarchy, just minimal interference from the government as originally envisioned (well, envisioned as a republic by my ancestors;I'm assuming your ancestors were on the other side) We have laws against theft, rape and murder as well, all based on common sense moral standards.

You’re suggesting that common sense moral standards should allow shops, hospitals and churches to have signs saying ‘no queers, dykes, coons or Jews’. 

If that were the case, as you want, what would you have happen to an uppity queer who walked in to a cake shop, just out of interest?

I have no idea about my ancestors’ position on American independence but many of them were Chartists, so not exactly a bunch of Monarchists.

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Senior Staffer6
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 3:24pm:
You’re suggesting that common sense moral standards should allow shops, hospitals and churches to have signs saying ‘no queers, dykes, coons or Jews’.  If that were the case, as you want, what would you have happen to an uppity queer who walked in to a cake shop, just out of interest?

Liberty should allow any restriction for any reason or no reason at all.

If the fictional person that you describe walked into a cake shop, why should the current owner of those cakes be obligated to sell any of them to him? Has the baker suddenly surrendered ownership of his own goods and turned them over to the government for distribution? And why isn't it a two way street? Would you support forcing that "uppity queer" to buy a cake from a Christian baker rather than the gay baker down the street? Or does that "uppity queer" have the.....wait for it....LIBERTY.... to shop where he pleases?

I have no idea about my ancestors’ position on American independence but many of them were Chartists, so not exactly a bunch of Monarchists.

Chartists? As far as I know, that UK reform movement didn't happen until the late 1830s, long past our Revolution.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. P.J. ORourke

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
You’re suggesting that common sense moral standards should allow shops, hospitals and churches to have signs saying ‘no queers, dykes, coons or Jews’. 

That would depend on what you mean by allow.  Legally, of course it should be allowed.

But it doesn't need to be "allowed" in terms of voluntary associations.  I would not "allow" any organization I associate with to do this sort of thing.

Do you think JP Morgan Chase would be willing to associate with these places?  How about American Express?  How about the vast majority of customers?  If you sold engineering services, would you sell them to businesses that display such signs?  I wouldn't sell my services to businesses like that. 

And would not be their customer.  Would you?

Quote:
If that were the case, as you want,

I think you are confusing "legally allow" with "want".

Quote:
what would you have happen to an uppity queer who walked in to a cake shop, just out of interest?

You mean a cake shop that chose to refuse services to homosexuals?  It wasn't directed at me, but I would hope that the shop owner would simply ask the person to leave and the person would comply, with zero violence from either side.  If they chose not to end their trespassing I would have them made to leave with what minimum force may be necessary to do so.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I don’t understand why Christians (I’m Catholic conservative) can’t understand that if Jesus were on earth he would embrace all people. How hard is it to be a good neighbor and treat others how you’d want to be treated.

I understand it’s your business and you shouldn’t be forced to do something your are against.

But jeez. We aren’t here all that long. They’d feel so much better about their life here on earth if they just really practiced what God taught. Just follow the golden rule. It’s not that hard.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:12am:
So you'd be OK with a private hospital ER room refusing to treat a car crash victim because she was wearing a gold cross on a gold necklace?

Really?

There are more than one person in an ER room. Most of the medical people that I know believe in a God. None of their Gods don’t want them to save a life. Most are Jewish or Christians. And they are there to save lives, not make a cake.
Try again.
Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
There are more than one person in an ER room. Most of the medical people that I know believe in a God. None of their Gods don’t want them to save a life. Most are Jewish or Christians. And they are there to save lives, not make a cake.
Try again.
Smiley

You try again.

That is exactly what those in favour of indulging bigots want to happen.

They want it to be OK to let an Asian child die outside an ER with a sign on its door reading “whites only”.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

REDACTED

Reply #29 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:01pm:
I don’t understand why Christians (I’m Catholic conservative) can’t understand that if Jesus were on earth he would embrace all people. How hard is it to be a good neighbor and treat others how you’d want to be treated.

I understand it’s your business and you shouldn’t be forced to do something your are against.

But jeez. We aren’t here all that long. They’d feel so much better about their life here on earth if they just really practiced what God taught. Just follow the golden rule. It’s not that hard.

In America there used to be bigots who insisted that interracial marriage was sinful. They'd quote the Bible to justify their bigotry. They even managed to get a number of states to make it a crime.

Jesus said love one another. He didn't put restrictions on who you love or why.

It's the supposed Christian bigots who are going to hell.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross, and wearing road kill as a toupée

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Gay cake Christian baker win in UK court

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules