Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The big winner last night ...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The big winner last night ... (Read 718 times)
Phillip 2.0
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: The big winner last night ...
Reply #50 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:43am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:48am:
I agree.  President Trump and the Republicans did surprisingly well considering that this was the first midterm election in President Trump's first term.  'Tradition' is that in that circumstance the party in power usually loses a lot more than 20-something seats.  That tradition was broken.  Good night for the Reublican Party.

The Republican Party gained seats in the house in 2002 (Bush’s first midterm). Tell us more about this “tradition.”  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #51 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Phillip 2.0 wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 10:24pm:
The “balance of power” was as predicted. GOP retains Senate, Democrats take the house and gain gubernatorial seats. Trump should have been replaced by Pelosi on your little list. Trump losing his law passing capabilities and opening himself up to persistent investigations makes him a winner? That’s more than just scoreboard. Your analysis was a joke.

Phillip.  You're not paying attention to the big picture.

Do you seriously see the Senate owned even more securely by Trumplicans, the White House owned by Trumplicans, and the Supreme Court owned by Trumplicans ... and the House owned by moderate, establishment Democrats with the help of moderate, establishment Republicans as a "balance?"

Exactly what laws were Trump and the Congressional Republicans passing that have now been "interrupted?"  You have heard Nancy Pelosi talk about working with Trumplicans on getting some of Trump's campaign promises passed like infrastructure, right?

Think with the Trump power base solidifying and "purifying" in the House, that the House will ever be able to amass a 2/3rds vote to override a Trump veto?

The board leftists have been believing with all the trappings of religious devotion that investigations are going to save us all from Trump for the past two years.  This is a religious belief, because they just *believe* there's something there ... all we need is the right investigation ... that will somehow get 2/3rds of the Senate to vote to remove him and get the American people to do what they didn't do this week ... and repudiate Trump.  Jesus will be here first Phillip.  Jesus will return before your new fundamentalist faith in the investigatory power of the House nets any material results.

Again ... moderate, establishment Democrats won control of the House last night, with the help of moderate, establishment Republicans.

What's Nancy Pelosi going to do to keep them for 2020's elections?   Can Democrats continue to win without them? 

How close were many, many of those close elections last night?

What exactly does someone's "queer" status add to their power as a legislator?

What exactly does someone's "Muslim" status add to their power as a legislator?

What exactly does someone's "female" status add to their power as a legislator?

Educate me Phillip.

Oh and for bonus "Queshank Analysis" points:

Beto’s consolation prize: Running for president

Democratic activists in Iowa and New Hampshire welcome the vanquished Texas candidate with open arms.

Beto O’Rourke dodged a bullet. The Texas congressman came dangerously close to beating Ted Cruz on Tuesday.

Lest his groupies wallow for long in defeat, they should know there’s a lot for them to like about his loss: No getting bogged down in the drudge-work of a freshman senator in the minority or obligation to fulfill his duty to serve out his term.

And, to O’Rourke’s credit, there was no blowout, a fate that would have extinguished his star. Indeed, he showed an unapologetic liberal could compete and almost win in Texas.

O’Rourke’s narrow loss to Cruz instead sets him up to run full time for president — and jump immediately into the top tier of Democratic contenders.

I think if he's smart he'll bow out of 2020.  But who knows? He might be high on his own supply.

QUeshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #52 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Phillip 2.0 wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:43am:
The Republican Party gained seats in the house in 2002 (Bush’s first midterm). Tell us more about this “tradition.”  Roll Eyes

How about YOU tell US about this tradition of nearly 4,000 Americans dying in a terrorist attack the year before the midterms?   Roll Eyes

Queshank

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #53 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  

Queshank wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
And I got spammed for money from Beto's campaign about 3 times a day for the past month.  It was actually kinda gross.

Hahaha. They were sending several text messages a week to my wife's phone but they were addressed to me. I got a good laugh out of that.

Quote:
Beto might play the long game and stay out of the way of the Trump manure machine in 2020.  But it's hard not to see this as similar to Obama's keynote speech IMO.

If he wants to run in 2020, he'll have to deal with some other Texas Democrats - namely Julian Castro - who's been feeling that out and traveling to primary states for a while now.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #54 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:00am:
Hahaha. They were sending several text messages a week to my wife's phone but they were addressed to me. I got a good laugh out of that.

I'm laughing just reading that. 

Quote:
If he wants to run in 2020, he'll have to deal with some other Texas Democrats - namely Julian Castro - who's been feeling that out and traveling to primary states for a while now.

But let's be fair.  Outside of Texas, like 8 people know who Julian Castro is.  And I'm one of them, so that leaves 7 others.

Beto is the rock star.  Castro is a roadie at best.

And not in response to you Demos, but rather what I think is an optimistic sign ... some others on the left recognizing the problems I think I've been seeing for the past 3 years.  Which can be summed up thusly: "Donald Trump is creating a new constituency out of the wreckage the establishment made out of both political parties."

If the midterms were a referendum, Trump won - Washington Post - Nov 9, 2018

Musa al-Gharbi is a Paul F. Lazarsfeld Fellow in sociology at Columbia University.

After flipping dozens of seats in the midterm elections, Democrats are set to take control of the House of Representatives. Many pundits and analysts have attempted to frame the results as a referendum on President Trump. Among these, there seems to be a consensus that the president has somehow been “repudiated.”

Not so fast.

To be sure, there are reasons for Democrats to cheer: Despite significant structural disadvantages and a difficult Senate map, some great ballot initiatives were passed, state legislatures got bluer in many instances, and Democrats won governorships in some key states. These are worth celebrating (in contrast with claims to have “won the popular vote,” which are spurious). Yet, on balance, Democrats should be more disturbed than comforted by how the elections shook out.

For instance, turnout was much higher than in 2014. However, the increased engagement proved to be bipartisan: Trump’s supporters also showed up in force, significantly undercutting the expected “blue wave.”

Yes, Republicans ultimately lost control of the House — but even here, the Democrats’ continued weakness shines through:

It was expected that the Republicans would lose a significant number of seats, irrespective of public opinions about Trump. Republicans had many more difficult House seats to defend than Democrats overall. There were twice as many Republican incumbents defending House seats in states Hillary Clinton won in 2016 than there were Democrats defending seats in states Trump won.

Republicans also had more than twice as many “open” House seats to hold on to as their Democratic rivals had: 36 Republican representatives chose not to stand for reelection this year because they were retiring or seeking another office. Seven others either resigned or otherwise left office before the election. As a result, Republicans had 43 House seats to defend without the benefit of a true incumbent candidate. On top of this, Republicans had three “open” Senate seats, and one more with a pseudo-incumbent (interim Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith took office in April).

Yet Democrats managed to win surprisingly few of these “open” contests. In the vast majority of cases, a new Republican was elected instead, and they tended to be even closer to Trump than their predecessors. So Trump actually cemented his hold over the Republican Party: Most of his staunchest Republican critics have either stepped down, been removed through a primary challenge or otherwise failed to win reelection. On top of this, virtually all of the Senate Democrats who voted against Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh from the states that Trump won in 2016 were voted out of office and replaced by Republicans.

Historically speaking, Democrats delivered a thoroughly average result in their first round as Trump’s opposition ...

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #55 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
And another blurb from the article because it's like it was written by my brother from another mother.

Yet one thing we  do  know is that the 2018 election results were consistent with the norm for a ruling party’s initial midterms. This reality should make Democrats deeply anxious because, as I’ve demonstrated elsewhere, if the 2020 presidential election similarly conforms to historical tendencies, the odds are roughly 8 to 1 that Trump wins reelection.

I have been maintaining for a long time that the best result for Democrats would be if the Republicans held the House.  It would force Democrats to grapple with the realities of their situation and while most diehard Democrats would insist it was because the books were cooked, I think most would realize they're not as "in the majority" as their stranglehold on the news media and Hollywood always makes them think they are.

But now that the Democrats took the House, and are likely to be as stupid as they've been the past 3 years ... my certainty in Trump winning re election jumps from 97% to 110%.  There's no way Trump loses now, even if they finally manage to dig some fish bones up from the bottom of the Russia barrel that actually smells like Trump.

Democrats are going to continue along their repellent way ... merrily and arrogantly alienating as many voters as they can.  I expected more people to wake up like this guy did by now.  They're not.  They're doubling down on the insanity. 

What's a Q to do?

Queshank

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #56 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Good stuff and dove tails with what you've been saying all along.

Wish the political pundits would cite the economy more, as it isn't getting the credit or fault it should. A roaring economy is one helluva tailwind when seeking reelection.

The new GOP was been borne before our eyes, and it arrived with some Dem voters too.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #57 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:04pm:
Good stuff and dove tails with what you've been saying all along.

Wish the political pundits would cite the economy more, as it isn't getting the credit or fault it should. A roaring economy is one helluva tailwind when seeking reelection.

The new GOP was been borne before our eyes, and it arrived with some Dem voters too.

The new Democratic party has too.

I was very disappointed to see how poorly Ojeda did in West Virginia.  Very disappointed.  I thought if he took that seat we might be seeing an actual shift towards Democrats and the left.

But we're not. 

Moderate, establishment Republicans and moderate, establishment Democrats make up the new Democratic constituency.  It's a constituency that lost them one major election already.  But they're gonna have to go for it.  Because they have to.  It's their only path towards relevancy.

And it's everything I cringed about in 2016 ... as at the DNC shouts of "No more war" were being drowned out by chants of "USA ... USA ... USA!" and generals got up and channeled Toby Keith to talk about putting boots in people's asses around the world.  At the Democratic National Convention for crappity smack's sake.

South Dakotans for Progress shared the following quote earlier today:

"If Democrats run on ending the wars, Medicare for all, free college, & a livable wage, they'll crush Trump in 2020.  Very simple."

I sat just blinking and looking at that for a very long time this morning.

Mojo.  What we believe in is in grave danger.  And it's very hard not to see leftists like the ones who populate these boards as the lemmings carrying those ideas over the cliff.  Shouting and cheering as they go and high five-ing each other in freefall.

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #58 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
The new Democratic party has too.

I was very disappointed to see how poorly Ojeda did in West Virginia.  Very disappointed.  I thought if he took that seat we might be seeing an actual shift towards Democrats and the left.

But we're not. 

Moderate, establishment Republicans and moderate, establishment Democrats make up the new Democratic constituency.  It's a constituency that lost them one major election already.  But they're gonna have to go for it.  Because they have to.  It's their only path towards relevancy.

And it's everything I cringed about in 2016 ... as at the DNC shouts of "No more war" were being drowned out by chants of "USA ... USA ... USA!" and generals got up and channeled Toby Keith to talk about putting boots in people's asses around the world.  At the Democratic National Convention for crappity smack's sake.

South Dakotans for Progress shared the following quote earlier today:

"If Democrats run on ending the wars, Medicare for all, free college, & a livable wage, they'll crush Trump in 2020.  Very simple."

I sat just blinking and looking at that for a very long time this morning.

Mojo.  What we believe in is in grave danger.  And it's very hard not to see leftists like the ones who populate these boards as the lemmings carrying those ideas over the cliff.  Shouting and cheering as they go and high five-ing each other in freefall.

Queshank

You don't know what you are talking about.  The Democratic party is made up of people from the extreme left to the moderate.  Not so much in the Republican party.  If you are not an extreme right Trumpet, you have no chance in hell with the exception of Ohio, thanks to John Kasich and his stance with the ACA.

Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
The average person is going to starve and die.

Thus has it always been with humanity, before the advent of the Great Society.

In Order For You To Insult Me, I must First Have To Value Your Opinion

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #59 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 6:17pm:
You don't know what you are talking about.  The Democratic party is made up of people from the extreme left to the moderate.  Not so much in the Republican party.  If you are not an extreme right Trumpet, you have no chance in hell with the exception of Ohio, thanks to John Kasich and his stance with the ACA.

Speaking of not knowing what you’re talking about, what year did the opening statements of the “Horrific Murderer” trial take place? Are you ever going to address my question, Waddy? Stop running.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The big winner last night ...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules