Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › PTSD - why not so much after wwii
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) PTSD - why not so much after wwii (Read 516 times)
Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: PTSD - why not so much after wwii
Reply #30 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
"History is only the pattern of silken slippers descending the stairs to the thunder of hobnailed boots climbing upward from below." - Voltaire

There's a lot of truth to this. And there's also a lot of truth to the idea that it's better to actually live on the silken slipper side of things.

I have no idea what Voltaire just said.

But I agree that there's an upside to living in easier times. And a downside as well.

Wow, I sound like Ms. Obvious.

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Wallys Not Tired of Winning
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #31 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:46pm:
In wwii we had a military 13x our current military size. Many horrid battles. Coming home, access to guns was easy. You could mail order guns.

The mental institutions really didn’t leak till the 1970’s

Why such a high incidence of ptsd, even not adjusted for per capita, over the past decade relative to prior decades, post wwii specifically.

My DAD was a WWII combat pilot and eventually was shot down and became a POW. His generation never talked about 'their problems' and just learned to cope with them.  Towards the end of his life, I only then became aware of his having had problems that he coped with his entire life.  I think "suffering in silence"  "sucking it up" and "keeping a stiff upper lip" were all emblematic of the heroic men and women of the Greatest Generation.  After fling many years in combat he developed the attitude that any day above ground was a good day.  From his POW experience he learned that no matter how bad things get, keep doing what you have to do and things ultimately will get better!

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #32 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:05pm:
The M1 Garand is a very, very good semi-automatic rifle with a standard 8 round clip.

Your theory is that would-be psychopaths were thinking "I could probably take out 15 people with this M1. Nah. Not worth it. If there were a rifle which was fed a clip with more rounds, then I could take out 30. I'll just sit here and play boardgames instead."

Well, he did say "consumer grade."  Yes, semi autos were around, but they were relatively rare and relatively expensive.  Now they're ubiquitous and relatively cheap.

The psychopaths are probably no more prevalent then they ever were, but it's easier for them to get rapid fire weapons now.

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Reply #33 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:32pm:
Well, he did say "consumer grade."  Yes, semi autos were around, but they were relatively rare and relatively expensive.  Now they're ubiquitous and relatively cheap.

The psychopaths are probably no more prevalent then they ever were, but it's easier for them to get rapid fire weapons now. 

The murder rate is now about where it was in the early 1960s.

And has fallen pretty consistently from the peaks in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Does that match up with the ubiquitousness of the semi autos?

Did their ubiquitous nature peak in 1974, 1980, and 1991, the peaks of murder-rate in the US? And fall off since then?

You know what has peaked now? The use of often disassociative Psychological pharmaceuticals...

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #34 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
EF wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:32pm:

I hate being the person that always seems to say what the hell are you talking about - but seriously. Are you that clueless. One of my favorite rifles I inherited from my grandfather. A Remington semi auto 742 carbine, 30-06. About 7x the power of a ,223 in foot pounds. Widely sold and massively popular just after wwii and priced for the avg hunter, economy minded consumer

Pls refrain from posting things you clearly know nothing about.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #35 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
Didn't most soldiers/sailors/airmen get shipped home on boats? The transition from combat to peace took awhile longer, and they went through it together. Flash forward to Vietnam (post-Korea conflict) and those returning from hot zones to peace/home do so in a day or two.

Something to be said about the slower decompression, with your mates...

This keeps resurfacing in my thoughts.

I think you're onto something with this Mojo. 

Even in 1963 when my dad was being discharged from the Army (after wisely resisting the attempts to lure him into re-upping as an "advisor" in Viet Nam) ... he came home from Germany via boat.  I dunno if that was still all the rage in 1963 or if it was some cheaper payout option he took.

But that makes an incredible amount of sense.  Spending a couple weeks decompressing with likeminded people who've been through the same shit has to be therapeutic.

I was also listening to some AM talk radio show on my way home from work yesterday, where the host was talking about PTSD and what we can do about it.  A guy called in who claimed to be a sniper in Afghanistan and Iraq, served several tours.  Came home and went through the VA's "talk about it" method of dealing with PTSD. 

He thought it wasn't just unhelpful but actually made things worse.  "You don't want to talk about this shit with some guy in a lab coat." 

He went into debt to pay for a treatment that in his words not just worked but "turned it into like watching a movie."

I tried to remember the 4 letter term for it but it's escaped me.  Something like EMRD?  There was something about disassociation, something about eye movement and sensory deprivation allowing your mind like a timeout to process and overcome the trauma.  It was 10 sessions over a 2 month period and the guy was raving about how well it worked and how much it helped him, but that it's not part of the VA's program so he had to take out loans to go through the program.

Queshank

BowHunter wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:24am:
I am not aware of any article

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #36 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Good insights mojo and Q.

Q I was born in Germany, dad was in military. Left in 1967.

Same thing. He got out. And came back to the states with my mom.

IP Logged

just_me
LNF Representative2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #37 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
All wars had ptsd it only wasn't called that back then. I do not remember it being called that after the  Korean war back then seems it was called battle fatigue, Audie Murphy suffered from what is now called PTSD.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:15pm by just_me »  

just me

IP Logged

EF
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #38 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
I hate being the person that always seems to say what the hell are you talking about - but seriously. Are you that clueless. One of my favorite rifles I inherited from my grandfather. A Remington semi auto 742 carbine, 30-06. About 7x the power of a ,223 in foot pounds. Widely sold and massively popular just after wwii and priced for the avg hunter, economy minded consumer

Pls refrain from posting things you clearly know nothing about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_742

1960, 4 round capacity and known as the jam master

mebbe you should refrain
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2018 at 10:34pm by EF »  

non sumus stulti
but
accidit stercore

IP Logged

JohnnyBgood
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Im guilty of Locker room
talk too

Reply #39 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 12:31am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:46pm:
In wwii we had a military 13x our current military size. Many horrid battles. Coming home, access to guns was easy. You could mail order guns.

The mental institutions really didn’t leak till the 1970’s

Why such a high incidence of ptsd, even not adjusted for per capita, over the past decade relative to prior decades, post wwii specifically.

Reported
Civil War Vets had it too. There was probably more with WW2 vets then today. PTSD doesn't always result in killing. If you took it out on a black man in the south back in the day, then it was ignored. Beating your wife and children wasn't a big deal either. The media wasn't as big.

GOING FOR $TH CHAMPIONSHIP IN 15 YEARS!!!!!!!!
Can LEAD THE LEAGUE IN THE 21st CENTURY
(Currently tied with SF at 3)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › PTSD - why not so much after wwii

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules