Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Question on holding politicians accountable
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question on holding politicians accountable (Read 32 times)
petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Question on holding politicians accountable
Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:54am
Print Post  
In life and business you set priorities and you set goals and you set a benchmark so you know where you are today and where you hope to go.

Other than when newt came in and gave his house contract with America, I never see this in politics. More specifically, I never see the media force politicians to commit to such a thing

For example, here in Maine janet mills just became our new governor. She set her top two priorities to be the environment and the opioid issue.

But no one ever says environment, what does that mean, what are you going to do, where do we stand today on those issues, what metrics can we use to measure where we are today and what are your goals for each of those metrics. How much will those initiatives cost.

At least as someone goes they their term we can all measure their progress

This seems so obvious but it’s never done in politics. Can you imagine a ceo coming in and committing to nothing.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

2015 Poster of the Year.
Election stolen 2016.

Re: Question on holding politicians accountable
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 6:54am:
In life and business you set priorities and you set goals and you set a benchmark so you know where you are today and where you hope to go.

Other than when newt came in and gave his house contract with America, I never see this in politics. More specifically, I never see the media force politicians to commit to such a thing

For example, here in Maine janet mills just became our new governor. She set her top two priorities to be the environment and the opioid issue.

But no one ever says environment, what does that mean, what are you going to do, where do we stand today on those issues, what metrics can we use to measure where we are today and what are your goals for each of those metrics. How much will those initiatives cost.

At least as someone goes they their term we can all measure their progress

This seems so obvious but it’s never done in politics. Can you imagine a ceo coming in and committing to nothing.

The incentive structures of government make true KPIs undesirable to the politicians.

And where they are used, they are obviously manipulated (such as unemployment rate and economic growth).

And because governments cannot fail until they do, and it's generally catastrophic. Businesses can fail, and so owners (whether private or with shareholders) have a vested interest in monitoring performance using metrics.

The left will often criticize markets because the ownership of corporation is merely looking to lift share price... But at least that's something tangible and influenced by the management of the company.

Whereas things like "unemployment rate" and "economic growth" are things certainly influenced by government but also influenced by many, many other factors.

The partisan nature of our society also prohibits the use of such indicators, because partisans on either side will simply use whichever factors are trending positive (whether in response to actual performance of politicians or not) to support their preferred party, and ignore factors which are trending negative. When critical of the other party, the reverse is true.

Wadsworth wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
You are awfully concerned about who gets to live.  Why is it so important to you?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:26am:
The incentive structures of government make true KPIs undesirable to the politicians.

And where they are used, they are obviously manipulated (such as unemployment rate and economic growth).

And because governments cannot fail until they do, and it's generally catastrophic. Businesses can fail, and so owners (whether private or with shareholders) have a vested interest in monitoring performance using metrics.

The left will often criticize markets because the ownership of corporation is merely looking to lift share price... But at least that's something tangible and influenced by the management of the company.

Whereas things like "unemployment rate" and "economic growth" are things certainly influenced by government but also influenced by many, many other factors.

The partisan nature of our society also prohibits the use of such indicators, because partisans on either side will simply use whichever factors are trending positive (whether in response to actual performance of politicians or not) to support their preferred party, and ignore factors which are trending negative. When critical of the other party, the reverse is true.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Very good rabbit.

I still think if I were a news agency I would demand to know what a politician means specifically when they set their priorities

I’m not pointing fingers at dems or repubs, neither do it because neither wants to actually be measured or held accountable.

Thinking in this mindset I believe would make for a much more educated populace and would add great clarity to what a politician is focused on.

I for example think janet mills top priorities are not the correct ones for our state, but at least she is open stating this is what I will focus on making better.

I simply want to know what that means specifically, where we stand today on those kpi’s And what the targets are.

It would be so refreshing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Question on holding politicians accountable

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules