Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol?
Poll
Poll Question: How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol?
bars   pie

It was a dream.    
  2 (66.7%)
It was a supernatural intervention.    
  1 (33.3%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Maestro on: Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:00pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol? (Read 229 times)
Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol?
Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite works of fiction. It might even be my favorite. I love the story and I'm fascinated by the different interpretations of it.

One of my favorite questions regarding ACC is how the viewer interprets the story. Was Scrooge's transformation brought about by a dream, and therefore mostly an internal event brought about by his subconscious? Or was it a supernatural event, initiated by forces outside of himself?

The story as written does not conclusively answer the question. There is evidence either way. I'm curious to see how people on LNF view the story.

(I happen to think the evidence favors one position over the other, but I'll withhold my opinion for now.)

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol?
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I just always assumed it was a dream that was inspired by God - so a little bit of both.

I've never actually seen the original movie, but I certainly know the story. ("Merry Christmas, everyone!")

I did watch "Scrooged," though. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies. Smiley

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Oh the Hypocrisy Jane
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Erik stole my lunch money

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Good question.

I always saw it as a person who was given a second chance by an unnamed entity. I never thought about it as a religious issue. I suppose I saw that entity as something possibly otherworldly. Nothing more. I guess my thoughts are it's Christmas so why worry about the minutia.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:33pm:
I just always assumed it was a dream that was inspired by God - so a little bit of both.

I've never actually seen the original movie, but I certainly know the story. ("Merry Christmas, everyone!")

I did watch "Scrooged," though. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies. Smiley

Well, the earliest movie adaptation is from 1901 and it's called Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost. I'd be pretty impressed if you had seen that one! (I have not).

We have several versions:

1970 musical version called Scrooge w/ Albert Finney
1984 version w/ George C. Scott
1999 version w/ Patrick Stewart
2004 Musical w/ Kelsey Grammer
2009 mo-cap version w/ Jim Carrey
1979 version called An American Christmas Carol w/ Henry Winkler
Mickey's Christmas Carol
A Muppet Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol: The Concert

I love each and every one for different reasons. My favorite is probably the Patrick Stewart one (hence the picture in my signature), but honestly, it's hard to pick.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
Well, the earliest movie adaptation is from 1901 and it's called Scrooge, or, Marley's Ghost. I'd be pretty impressed if you had seen that one! (I have not).

We have several versions:

1970 musical version called Scrooge w/ Albert Finney
1984 version w/ George C. Scott
1999 version w/ Patrick Stewart
2004 Musical w/ Kelsey Grammer
2009 mo-cap version w/ Jim Carrey
1979 version called An American Christmas Carol w/ Henry Winkler
Mickey's Christmas Carol
A Muppet Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol: The Concert

I love each and every one for different reasons. My favorite is probably the Patrick Stewart one (hence the picture in my signature), but honestly, it's hard to pick.

Wow, you're quite the "Christmas Carol" aficionado! Smiley

Isn't "Scrooged" considered a comedic version of it?

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Oh the Hypocrisy Jane wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:00pm:
Good question.

I always saw it as a person who was given a second chance by an unnamed entity. I never thought about it as a religious issue. I suppose I saw that entity as something possibly otherworldly. Nothing more. I guess my thoughts are it's Christmas so why worry about the minutia.

Oh, I don't "worry" about it, I just think it's a fun question. I think one's personal philosophy might color how they view the main character's transformation. And Dickens himself was a clever enough writer not to totally come down on one side or the other.

Personally, I think the change was initiated from without, but was ultimately a decision that Scrooge made. That is, I interpret the visitations as real, rather than coming from Scrooge's subconscious, but that he acted upon those visitations in a positive manner.

Others with a more humanist bent might prefer to interpret the change as coming entirely from Scrooge, a dream from his subconscious brought about by the recent events in his office that evening. They would say he always had the ability in himself to change who he was.

P.S. My favorite Christmas trivia question of all time is How many spirits visited Ebeneezer Scrooge on Christmas Eve?

Everyone always says "three," but of course the answer is "four" as everyone forgets to count Marley. Feel free to annoy your relatives, friends and coworkers this season with that question. You're welcome.

P.P.S. Oh, and if some smart aleck tries to tell you "dozens" because of all the ghosts Scrooge sees outside his window, don't let them get away with it. They didn't visit Scrooge.  Wink

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Wow, you're quite the "Christmas Carol" aficionado! Smiley

Isn't "Scrooged" considered a comedic version of it?

Yes, Scrooged is a funny version. My wife in particular is a big fan. We just don't own it...yet.

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
Yes, Scrooged is a funny version. My wife in particular is a big fan. We just don't own it...yet.

The man in your picture looks like Patrick Stewart... Is that him?

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
The man in your picture looks like Patrick Stewart... Is that him?

Yes. He was in this version here:

LINK

As I said above, it may be my favorite version of ACC. (My only criticism is costume they use for the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. It's a bit chintzy-looking compared to the other ghosts).

But Stewart does a very good job, portraying Scrooge differently than most. He is, in my opinion, one of the few actors to correctly deliver the line "Bah, humbug." The phrase has become so famous that most actors rattle it off as a famous saying and it comes across false. But it wasn't a famous saying at the time. Stewart says it perfectly straight, as if he's saying a phrase as common as, "Oh, bull****."

My other favorite moment is the way he delivers the line, "I wish to be left alone." Most actors yell it with anger. He holds back and delivers it wearily. It's a wonderful moment.

The next best thing about this version is Richard Grant as Bob Cratchit. He's fantastic.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:38pm by Maestro »  

IP Logged

billy.pilgrim
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
It was witches in the rye bread.

So funny that Jasmine doesn't seem to understand that this was written in the 1840s - long before da movies.

the wis-dum of acrhie
"I am sure Trump is like me."
"There is no capitalism under Obama’s rule. He is a fu8&^ communist."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › How do you interpret the story of A Christmas Carol?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules