Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Syria (Read 3,006 times)
Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Syria
Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth.

I spent a two hour lunch with a childhood friend who is currently working as a civilian contractor in Iraq.  We were 19 when he joined the 82nd Airborne.  We were 20 when he was first shipped to Iraq for PG1.  He returned for PG2 for a number of years and a couple of years ago went back ... "so he can retire in a few years."  The guy has spent nearly as much time on the ground in Iraq as he has here in the US since we graduated high school.

Most of what we discussed involved the Kurdistan area of Iraq, where he has been working for over a year, and some stark realities about how our interventions in the Middle East have and are continuing to function.

It was a rather depressing lunch.  It was nothing we don't discuss every time he comes home for his one month off 3 months off schedule.  But in the context of Trump's attempts to get us out of Syria, something became very clear.

Before the election I floated the possibility that maybe an asshole like Trump would be able to buck the system.   It was a potential bright spot in what I saw as the inevitability of a Trump victory in 2016.  Contrary to the histrionicists of the board, I didn't vote for Trump.  2016 I realized I'm not likely to ever vote again, and so far I'm pretty solid on that.

However if Trump gets us out of Syria, I was starting to think ...maybe I would vote for that.

But ...

We are never getting out of Syria.  I don't say that lightly.  It is a never proposition.  It does not matter who is president.  That's not important.  The weight of human history and human nature is simply too much for any measly in again out again part timer like a president to overcome.  Obama couldn't do it.  Trump won't be able to do it.  Clinton and Bush the Younger didn't even try, they just went along for the ride.

It will take an actual guns in hands revolution that isn't going to happen to turn this ship around.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Re: Syria
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I honestly don't see why it would be difficult for us to leave Syria.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Imperialism is the central driving force of American history.  Practically no Americans understand this outside of the ruling class and a few radical weirdos.  Mention it to an average American, and it sounds like you're speaking Bulgarian.

(People outside the US, especially in the Third World, totally get it.)

America would need a revolution that rejects the military-industrial complex, that rejects the logic of using the American military to do almost anything at all, perhaps even rejects the existence of the American military.  Even to talk about it, to talk about the drastic change in American society, to try to imagine an America with practically no military, no "intelligence" apparatus, and no compulsion to interfere in other nations, is to feel a deep, hollow despair.

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:04pm:
Imperialism is the central driving force of American history.  Practically no Americans understand this outside of the ruling class and a few radical weirdos.  Mention it to an average American, and it sounds like you're speaking Bulgarian.

America would need a revolution that rejects the military-industrial complex, that rejects the logic of using the American military to do almost anything at all, perhaps even rejects the existence of the American military.  Even to talk about it, to talk about the drastic change in American society, to try to imagine an America with practically no military, no "intelligence" apparatus, and no compulsion to interfere in other nations, is to feel a deep, hollow despair.

Perhaps the most idiotic post of the year. America is perhaps the only country since the dark ages to sacrifice so many citizens to preserve freedom elsewhere, and then we leave, and then five millions to prop back up those defeated.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:23pm:
I honestly don't see why it would be difficult for us to leave Syria.

Okay we all know how much pressure there is from within our government to stay in Syria for a variety reasons, some moral, some monetary, some genuinely concerned about who will rush in to fill the vacuum if we leave, right?  Nobody needs to pretend the "military industrial complex" is a conspiracy theory.  People get a little crazy about it, but in the end it's just people being people.  Making connections, building relationships, making deals and makin mo-nay!

Add that pressure to the pressure coming from without our government by the mafia dons who control territory in places like Iraq and absolutely do not want the spigot for "projects" that never get finished to turn off.  People making connections, building relationships, making deals and makin mo-nay!

Basically my buddy spent two hours talking to me about exactly how many buttholes he saw puckering when Donald Trump made his "surprise" announcement.  The list adds up to a whole lot of very powerful, very influential and very wealthy people who will still be there in 2021 if Trump is out of office, or in 2025 if Trump is out of office. 

It's just not going to happen.  If Donald Trump pushes forward against his own administration on this, it is probably ... Mueller be damned ... what gets him removed from office before 2020 and I won't even have to debate whether it's worth a vote or not.

I'm being a little hyperbolic about it.  But only to try to explain just how unlikely and impossible it is.  It would require a complete change of the people in our government and therefore a complete change in the people who profit from our government ... both foreign and domestic. 

In other words ... an overthrow of our government. 

And no I'm not calling for revolution.  I'm a middle aged man getting fatter as the days go by.  Not my scene.  I'll be off to Canada or Australia before that ever happens.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:25am:
Perhaps the most idiotic post of the year. America is perhaps the only country since the dark ages to sacrifice so many citizens to preserve freedom elsewhere, and then we leave, and then five millions to prop back up those defeated.

MRW someone tries to rebut a post and winds up confirming it in the most visceral manner possible.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Running Deer wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:04pm:

I was going to say in my first post ... we are an Imperial occupier and that is just the end of it but I didn't want to be too inflammatory. 

Get used to it.  Get with the program or get the crappity smack out.  Those are our options.  That is who we are as a country.

Queshank

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him OUT!

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Well, Richard Nixon was a crook, a jerk, and a crashing bore. But I remember it being said that only he could have "opened up China"...

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

- Maya Angelou, 1978

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Among the "buttholes being puckered" over a US withdrawal would be the Kurdish militias we partnered with to eradicate ISIS.  They did the hard fighting on the ground while we supported them with air strikes and intel.  But Turkey has already told us that the minute we leave Syria, they will attack the Syrian kurds.  They consider them terrorists, not partners against ISIS.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Look behind you!

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:57pm:
For what it's worth.

I spent a two hour lunch with a childhood friend who is currently working as a civilian contractor in Iraq.  We were 19 when he joined the 82nd Airborne.  We were 20 when he was first shipped to Iraq for PG1.  He returned for PG2 for a number of years and a couple of years ago went back ... "so he can retire in a few years."  The guy has spent nearly as much time on the ground in Iraq as he has here in the US since we graduated high school.

Most of what we discussed involved the Kurdistan area of Iraq, where he has been working for over a year, and some stark realities about how our interventions in the Middle East have and are continuing to function.

It was a rather depressing lunch.  It was nothing we don't discuss every time he comes home for his one month off 3 months off schedule.  But in the context of Trump's attempts to get us out of Syria, something became very clear.

Before the election I floated the possibility that maybe an asshole like Trump would be able to buck the system.   It was a potential bright spot in what I saw as the inevitability of a Trump victory in 2016.  Contrary to the histrionicists of the board, I didn't vote for Trump.  2016 I realized I'm not likely to ever vote again, and so far I'm pretty solid on that.

However if Trump gets us out of Syria, I was starting to think ...maybe I would vote for that.

But ...

We are never getting out of Syria.  I don't say that lightly.  It is a never proposition.  It does not matter who is president.  That's not important.  The weight of human history and human nature is simply too much for any measly in again out again part timer like a president to overcome.  Obama couldn't do it.  Trump won't be able to do it.  Clinton and Bush the Younger didn't even try, they just went along for the ride.

It will take an actual guns in hands revolution that isn't going to happen to turn this ship around.

Queshank

IDK, Q. You seem conflicted.  Huh

I'm the man in the box..
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules