Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Syria (Read 2,752 times)
Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Syria
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:19am
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:12am:
Among the "buttholes being puckered" over a US withdrawal would be the Kurdish militias we partnered with to eradicate ISIS.  They did the hard fighting on the ground while we supported them with air strikes and intel.  But Turkey has already told us that the minute we leave Syria, they will attack the Syrian kurds.  They consider them terrorists, not partners against ISIS.

Well yeah ... one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist isn't just a pithy saying on the Internet.

And that would be the "some moral" reasons I'm talking about for not withdrawing from Syria.  It can probably be filed under the "you broke it you bought it" rationalization.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Look behind you!

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Have the effing Democratic party lemmings pay for it.

Who am I not?
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  

Running Deer wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:04pm:
America would need a revolution that rejects the military-industrial complex, that rejects the logic of using the American military to do almost anything at all, perhaps even rejects the existence of the American military.

Tried that once; didn't take.

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Look behind you!

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:23pm:
Tried that once; didn't take.

I'm pretty sure i's  been tried many times.

Who am I not?
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:25pm
Print Post  

Genesee wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:24pm:
I'm pretty sure i's  been tried many times.

In the U.S.? No, we've only had one revolution.

IP Logged

Genesee
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Look behind you!

Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:25pm:
In the U.S.? No, we've only had one revolution.

Er... I don't think we're on the same page here.  Sad

Who am I not?
IP Logged

Running Deer
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

Disloyal Opposition

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:24am:
I was going to say in my first post ... we are an Imperial occupier and that is just the end of it but I didn't want to be too inflammatory.

I never learned Emily Dickinson's wise lesson:

Tell all the truth but tell it slant —
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind —

"If cousins, I would much prefer to marry one my Neanderthal relatives than a screeching chimpanzee which might bite my face off as has happened recently. Of course, chimps are not even a human species so procreation between humans and chimps is out of the question." - joe_christian, on sex

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative2

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:57pm:
For what it's worth.

I spent a two hour lunch with a childhood friend who is currently working as a civilian contractor in Iraq.  We were 19 when he joined the 82nd Airborne.  We were 20 when he was first shipped to Iraq for PG1.  He returned for PG2 for a number of years and a couple of years ago went back ... "so he can retire in a few years."  The guy has spent nearly as much time on the ground in Iraq as he has here in the US since we graduated high school.

Most of what we discussed involved the Kurdistan area of Iraq, where he has been working for over a year, and some stark realities about how our interventions in the Middle East have and are continuing to function.

It was a rather depressing lunch.  It was nothing we don't discuss every time he comes home for his one month off 3 months off schedule.  But in the context of Trump's attempts to get us out of Syria, something became very clear.

Before the election I floated the possibility that maybe an asshole like Trump would be able to buck the system.   It was a potential bright spot in what I saw as the inevitability of a Trump victory in 2016.  Contrary to the histrionicists of the board, I didn't vote for Trump.  2016 I realized I'm not likely to ever vote again, and so far I'm pretty solid on that.

However if Trump gets us out of Syria, I was starting to think ...maybe I would vote for that.

But ...

We are never getting out of Syria.  I don't say that lightly.  It is a never proposition.  It does not matter who is president.  That's not important.  The weight of human history and human nature is simply too much for any measly in again out again part timer like a president to overcome.  Obama couldn't do it.  Trump won't be able to do it.  Clinton and Bush the Younger didn't even try, they just went along for the ride.

It will take an actual guns in hands revolution that isn't going to happen to turn this ship around.

Queshank

Word™

I remember the genuine hope I felt with Obama stating on day one that he was closing Gitmo. Finally! Someone at the top who could put an end to our march down police-state lane. Step one in a series of upcoming changes to the criminal-justice system and our hostile foreign policy. As time passed and little changed I began to wonder, not just when, but if, any of this change would materialize. No doubt I assigned too much blame on the right and not enough on what some call the deep state, others the establishment, both being alternatives for what's objectively labeled the status quo. Eight years later Gitmo still open, troops still scattered across the globe and half the country still in a blood-lust for (((MOAR))).

Then along comes Trump.

This guy thinks he knows better than the generals AND he thinks we're too involved in the ME. A horrible person who just might do an extraordinary thing and not just slow the wheel, but break it. Instead, it appears he's gonna get run over.

The worst of both world's from my perspective.  Undecided

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

Oh noes! Virtue Signaling!!

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I still don't understand. What behind-the-scenes forces are keeping us in Syria?

This seems like such a no-brainer. Pulling out of this civil war should be the embodiment of "America First."

President Trump turned you into a snowflake? Woman up!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:32pm:
I still don't understand. What behind-the-scenes forces are keeping us in Syria?

Human nature.

Quote:
This seems like such a no-brainer. Pulling out of this civil war should be the embodiment of "America First."

Human nature doesn't give a shit about America.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules