Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The Republican Party versus democracy
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Republican Party versus democracy (Read 228 times)
Vypr
LNF House Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

The Republican Party versus democracy
Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:05am
Print Post  

A basic principle of democracy is that parties have to accept that their opponents are sometimes going to win. Fight the election hard, maybe even bitterly, but at the end of the day, politicians and parties need to accept that their opponents can and sometimes should be able to win elections and wield political power.

If we learned one thing about the Republican Party in 2018, it’s that they don’t seem to believe this anymore.

In the wake of a midterm election where the Republicans lost 40 House seats, Republicans were willing to call perfectly legitimate election results into question simply because they didn’t like the outcome. President Trump spread wild conspiracy theories about “forged” ballots in the Florida Senate race and of undocumented immigrants voting en masse for Democrats in California House contests. We heard similar sentiments from establishment figures like Lindsey Graham, Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio.

Some state Republicans have even decided to nullify the results of this year’s elections. Last Friday, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that seizes key powers from Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers, who defeated Walker in November. Michigan Republicans are currently weighing a similar bill, and both are following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republicans, who passed a power-stripping bill after a Democratic victory in the 2016 governor’s race.

These acts go well beyond the normal democratic give and take, where parties battle over the rules of elections at the margins. They violate basic democratic principles, revealing the modern GOP to be a threat to the American political system itself.

Today’s Republicans aren’t ideologically opposed to democracy in the way that, say, fascists and Islamists are. It’s that they care more about power than they do about basic democratic principles and are willing to run roughshod over the latter if it helps them win the former. This Republican attitude is more democracy-indifferent than anti-democratic, reflecting a party so caught up in partisan combat that it can’t recognize the authoritarian road it’s traveling down.

The GOP’s authoritarian streak predates Trump but intersects with his autocratic political instincts. The president’s rhetoric about illegitimate elections is the kind of language that, in some countries, has caused political crises — where a leader who loses an election then refuses to admit defeat. But the institutionalized Republican Party is unwilling to check Trump and in fact backs his play, because he’s on their team against the Democrats.

The result is a mutually reinforcing cycle. Republicans’ indifference to democracy allows Trump to behave in a wild and dangerous fashion; in turn, Republicans defend Trump and further weaken the fundamentals of the democratic system.

FULL:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/17/18092210/republican-gop-trump...

RWB wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Trump's an idiot everyone knows that

RWB wrote on Jan 27th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
I believe without a doubt Donald Trump is a sexual harasser

IP Logged

stu_gatze
LNF Speaker

Conservatism today, tommorow..&
forever!

Re: The Republican Party versus democracy
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:05am:

A basic principle of democracy is that parties have to accept that their opponents are sometimes going to win. Fight the election hard, maybe even bitterly, but at the end of the day, politicians and parties need to accept that their opponents can and sometimes should be able to win elections and wield political power.

If we learned one thing about the Republican Party in 2018, it’s that they don’t seem to believe this anymore.

In the wake of a midterm election where the Republicans lost 40 House seats, Republicans were willing to call perfectly legitimate election results into question simply because they didn’t like the outcome. President Trump spread wild conspiracy theories about “forged” ballots in the Florida Senate race and of undocumented immigrants voting en masse for Democrats in California House contests. We heard similar sentiments from establishment figures like Lindsey Graham, Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio.

Some state Republicans have even decided to nullify the results of this year’s elections. Last Friday, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that seizes key powers from Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers, who defeated Walker in November. Michigan Republicans are currently weighing a similar bill, and both are following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republicans, who passed a power-stripping bill after a Democratic victory in the 2016 governor’s race.

These acts go well beyond the normal democratic give and take, where parties battle over the rules of elections at the margins. They violate basic democratic principles, revealing the modern GOP to be a threat to the American political system itself.

Today’s Republicans aren’t ideologically opposed to democracy in the way that, say, fascists and Islamists are. It’s that they care more about power than they do about basic democratic principles and are willing to run roughshod over the latter if it helps them win the former. This Republican attitude is more democracy-indifferent than anti-democratic, reflecting a party so caught up in partisan combat that it can’t recognize the authoritarian road it’s traveling down.

The GOP’s authoritarian streak predates Trump but intersects with his autocratic political instincts. The president’s rhetoric about illegitimate elections is the kind of language that, in some countries, has caused political crises — where a leader who loses an election then refuses to admit defeat. But the institutionalized Republican Party is unwilling to check Trump and in fact backs his play, because he’s on their team against the Democrats.

The result is a mutually reinforcing cycle. Republicans’ indifference to democracy allows Trump to behave in a wild and dangerous fashion; in turn, Republicans defend Trump and further weaken the fundamentals of the democratic system.

FULL:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/12/17/18092210/republican-gop-trump...

Why you dumb ass, can't you even author a few topics on your own? I have authored some of my very own topic threads, here at LNF, .. so, why can't you, young Quisling?   Grin

I suspect, .. it is because, .. you really do NOT know jack shit! Grin

.... And I also ''suspect'' that even you KNOW it, too!  Smiley Smiley

"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
                David Horowitz

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:52am
Print Post  
stu_gatze wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:23am:

Why you dumb ass, can't you even author a few topics on your own? I have authored some of my very own topic threads, here at LNF, .. so, why can't you, young Quisling?   Grin

Let him cut and paste. It's more fun watching him stretch and change the intent of articles by creating false and inflammatory titles. Most of the time the title has nothing to do with what he posts.

Now we're getting the Republicans don't accept results after what the Dems did during the midterms. I hear they found 6 more truck loads of Democrat votes. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF House Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I have authored some of my very own topic threads, here at LNF Smiley Smiley

Are they your Mein Kampf?

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Two points:

1. These are NOT Republicans. These are conservatives who have hijacked the Republican Party. I am a former Republican, and would love to come back to the party as it existed in the 80s. Fiscally responsible, socially liberal, with an emphasis on technology and science development.
2. The conservatives are terrified, and they have a right to be. They are a dying species, and backed into a corner, they are fighting for their very survival. Religion is dying in this country, which really means Christianity is dying. The new religion is Humanism, the belief that humans control their own destiny. The old ways (traditionalism) are growing older at an exponential rate, as technology moves us (for better or worse) into a new era of human existence. Everything they have grown up with is being torn asunder by progress, so naturally, they oppose it. This is all understandable, but what is NOT, is their crossing the line in voting in Trump. That opened up the door to extremists who are also progressive, a much more dangerous combination than Trump's extreme conservatism.

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF House Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:55am:
Two points:

1. These are NOT Republicans. These are conservatives who have hijacked the Republican Party. I am a former Republican, and would love to come back to the party as it existed in the 80s. Fiscally responsible, socially liberal, with an emphasis on technology and science development.

I agree but I don't think it is even fair to call them conservative.

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

VYPR winner of LNF''S
FAKE CONSERVATIVE AWARD

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:48pm
Print Post  

SHITTY DIAPER Can't think for herself she gets her marching orders from the crooked Democrats and the DNC.

LIBERAL LOONS AMERICAS BEST ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF House Leader

of the Inquisition

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
RWB wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:48pm:
SHITTY DIAPER Can't think for herself she gets her marching orders from the crooked Democrats and the DNC.

You and Stu are quintessential Trump-slaves ReeweeWittoBwain. You are perfectly representative.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  

FULL:

I guess you didn’t see the elections here in Florida with what our (R) party had to go through.
Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

KSU_Aviator
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

Red pots for jammies

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  

It seems ubiquitous to have to do say this, but we don't live in a democracy. Since the author chose to use an inaccurate term in the title, I have to wonder from the very beginning if this person even understands the topic that they have created.

Quote:

Republicans have this problem? Did you forget about this girl?

Or this woman?

Ok, those are nothing more than anecdotal examples. But we do have the movement that wants to eliminate the electoral college. We also have the majority of Democrats that desperately want there to be Russian collusion between President Trump and Russia even though there is zero evidence this ever existed. We could also go back to Bush v Gore and talk about the whole hanging and dimpled chad B.S. Let's face it, if there is a party that has a problem with accepting elections, it's probably characterized with an ass and painted blue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › The Republican Party versus democracy

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules