Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › American Gods
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) American Gods (Read 726 times)
Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

American Gods
Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I don't know if anyone else ever posted on this but I have to share my thoughts...

I started watching this on Starz last night. 

It's a work of art.  An absolute work of art.  I'm mesmerized by this beautiful show. 

Full disclosure I was high as hell last night when I watched the first few episodes.  And I have every intention of being high while watching every episode.  I think it enhanced the beauty of the cinematography, but you'd probably be fine if you were a muggle while watching.  (LOL.  A muggle.  I can't believe I typed that but I'm going to use it to describe a sober person from now on.)

But just a great idea and a great story and great acting and great dialogue.  My wife texted me a bit ago "Funny that all I wanna do is watch american gods."  (I had to drag her away from her game last night to get her to watch it with me is why the "funny" part.)

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Re: American Gods
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I'm in.

I'll give it a go in the next month or so.

I've been a huge Ian McShane fan since Deadwood, so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't buy in.

Buddy_Love wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
I'm fine where I am. I love America. However, you don't like America, so it's you that should leave.

Ulysses wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
I dare you to say that to Cuomo's face.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
He is amazing in this as Mr. Wednesday.  It's like the role was made for him.  The whole show is fun and fascinating, but I really looked forward to the scenes with Mr. Wednesday.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Speaking of actors, I've never been so happy to see George McFly.   The casting for him was so good, my wife and I had to pause the show to discuss it.  As soon as they showed his face my wife said "I knew it was him."

Now that I think on it, the acting in this entire show is fantastic.  For example, after ten minutes of thinking Audrey is repellent, we thought she was amazing and she nearly brought us both to tears.  To say she won us over is an understatement.  I hope she's in season 2.

In fact, probably the most stoic and formulaic acting was the main character.  Don't get me wrong, he's good.  And he seems like his character leaves him less room to play and explore.  But the performances turned in by the rest of the cast are just so good by contrast.  It's like the main character is the straight man, and the rest are the ones able to solo and shine because he's holding down the beat and staying in the pocket ... to mix a few metaphors.

I might watch the first season again while I wait for the second season.  I already bought the book.

If I had to find a negative criticism for the show ... I'm not sure I ever needed to see Dane Cook's penis.

Queshank

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:28pm:
I don't know if anyone else ever posted on this but I have to share my thoughts...

I started watching this on Starz last night. 

It's a work of art.  An absolute work of art.  I'm mesmerized by this beautiful show. 

Full disclosure I was high as hell last night when I watched the first few episodes.  And I have every intention of being high while watching every episode.  I think it enhanced the beauty of the cinematography, but you'd probably be fine if you were a muggle while watching.  (LOL.  A muggle.  I can't believe I typed that but I'm going to use it to describe a sober person from now on.)

But just a great idea and a great story and great acting and great dialogue.  My wife texted me a bit ago "Funny that all I wanna do is watch american gods."  (I had to drag her away from her game last night to get her to watch it with me is why the "funny" part.)

Queshank

Drugs tend to ruin the intellect, that's why they're safe for you.

As you were.

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
BowHunter wrote on Jan 25th, 2019 at 2:04pm:
Drugs tend to ruin the intellect, that's why they're safe for you.

As you were.

Thanks, Nancy!

Y'know, you really had me going with that whole "Just Say No" thing for a lot of years. 

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I have to say ...

I listened to the novel on audiobooks.

Meh.  Not great.  There's some really creative character development that's not in the TV series.  But overall, I prefer the direction the TV series is taking with the story.

Queshank

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 10:50am
Print Post  
On the second episode.

Visually stunning and trippy. I'm definitely intrigued.

Some of it is a bit sophomoric. The protagonist's name, for instance, just makes it seem like a teen/Young Adult fantasy novel, despite the very adult and heavy themes.

But I enjoyed Spartacus a few years back (another STARZ series) despite all that, and I'm enjoying this as well.

Buddy_Love wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
I'm fine where I am. I love America. However, you don't like America, so it's you that should leave.

Ulysses wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
I dare you to say that to Cuomo's face.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2019 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Feb 21st, 2019 at 10:50am:
Some of it is a bit sophomoric. The protagonist's name, for instance, just makes it seem like a teen/Young Adult fantasy novel, despite the very adult and heavy themes.

That's a valid criticism.  His name is dumb. 

Even dumber is the pet name his wife gives him.  The book explains it better and it's less stupid than the TV show, but they still stick with it too much in the book too IMO.

My wife especially hates the wife's term of endearment.  To the point of mockingly using it on me around the house sometimes.  Generally when I'm being stupid as a means of telling me I'm being stupid.

Queshank

IP Logged

LadyBug
LNF Senior Staffer4
LNF Bunker

Hey Everybody! Good to
be back.

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Hi Que! Good to see you! Are you and your wife still performing?
Smiley

Back to topic, I decided to check out episode 1 of American Gods since you guys loved it so much. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. But I can see how it would appeal to some.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › American Gods

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag