Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › American Gods
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) American Gods (Read 905 times)
Luther
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: American Gods
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:28pm:
I don't know if anyone else ever posted on this but I have to share my thoughts...

I started watching this on Starz last night. 

It's a work of art.  An absolute work of art.  I'm mesmerized by this beautiful show. 

Full disclosure I was high as hell last night when I watched the first few episodes.  And I have every intention of being high while watching every episode.  I think it enhanced the beauty of the cinematography, but you'd probably be fine if you were a muggle while watching.  (LOL.  A muggle.  I can't believe I typed that but I'm going to use it to describe a sober person from now on.)

But just a great idea and a great story and great acting and great dialogue.  My wife texted me a bit ago "Funny that all I wanna do is watch american gods."  (I had to drag her away from her game last night to get her to watch it with me is why the "funny" part.)

Queshank

What a dope! Grin Roll Eyes

All throughout our American history, world history, "ordinary people can do extraordinary things"

un·known quan·ti·ty
noun
a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
LadyBug wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 5:08am:
Hi Que! Good to see you! Are you and your wife still performing?
Smiley

Hi Ladybug!  Holy crap long time no see! 

No my wife and I hung it up about 8 years ago.  That's how long it's been, good grief!  We moved back home and I took over the family tax firm and it just got to be too much.  We wound up playing for a string of funerals.  A band member who died of cancer.  My aunt.  The 12 year old son of a client who died in a farming accident.  Got to be too much and too demoralizing and music stopped being fun.  We keep talking about returning to it now that we negotiated a sale for the firm and the kids have grown and moved out.  But it keeps staying in the talk about it phase.

How have you been?  There's a lot of years to catch up on!

Quote:
Back to topic, I decided to check out episode 1 of American Gods since you guys loved it so much. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. But I can see how it would appeal to some.

My little sister did not like it at all either.  Too artsy fartsy for her.  She watched a total of one episode as well.

I agree with her normally that the artsy fartsy stuff isn't appealing, but in this case it seems to fit so well.  The main character is literally having his world shift underneath him and it's giving him a double vision sort of thing going on.  So I actually appreciated the artsy fartsiness as a vehicle for storytelling rather than rolling my eyes at the pretentiousness as is my usual reaction.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Watched the first few episodes of the second season over the weekend.

Not feeling it like I did the first season.  Seems a bit disjointed.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Almost done with the first season.

Don't know that I've seen a show that does some things amazingly bad and other things amazingly well with such glaring extremes.

The concept of the show, with the Old Gods battling the New Gods of Globalism, Tech, Media, etc, is a really great concept.

The little historical anecdotes of "Coming to America" are all really fantastic.

The acting is, for the most part, very good.

But sometimes the show falls in love with its own artistic flair too much, and slows the story down significantly. I get bored with the drawn out artistic scenes.

And I find the main character's wife to be atrocious. Terribly written. Completely uncharismatic. Men fall for her so quickly, yet I find her to be completely unlikeable. It damages the story how much I dislike her (and yes, her terrible pet name for Shadow).

Wadsworth wrote on Sep 19th, 2019 at 3:31pm:
We are talking about this government, aren't we?  If we were any other kind of government like China or NK, we would not even be having this discussion because you would not even be allowed to own a gun. 

Vypr wrote on Oct 15th, 2019 at 8:25am:
By all accounts Syria was somewhat calm.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Apr 11th, 2019 at 8:02am:
Almost done with the first season.

Don't know that I've seen a show that does some things amazingly bad and other things amazingly well with such glaring extremes.

The concept of the show, with the Old Gods battling the New Gods of Globalism, Tech, Media, etc, is a really great concept.

The little historical anecdotes of "Coming to America" are all really fantastic.

The acting is, for the most part, very good.

But sometimes the show falls in love with its own artistic flair too much, and slows the story down significantly. I get bored with the drawn out artistic scenes.

And I find the main character's wife to be atrocious. Terribly written. Completely uncharismatic. Men fall for her so quickly, yet I find her to be completely unlikeable. It damages the story how much I dislike her (and yes, her terrible pet name for Shadow).

I agree on Laura.  She's not such a significant part of the book.  I have no idea why they turned her into such a big part of this show.  And she's just a horrible, rotten person.  Perhaps that's why they kept her ... to associate rot and decay with her outside like her inside.  (That might be a bit of second season impression coloring my first season takeaway.)

Honestly, reading the book seems to have ruined the show for me.  It makes things like her terrible pet name for Shadow (which both my wife and I laughed at immediately) even more terrible.  And I didn't even think the book was all that great. 

And I have to say the second season is disappointing.  Suddenly everything looks like a deliberate attempt to streeeeeeeeetch the story to keep the seasons rolling.  They should tell the story and then keep the seasons rolling because there's hundreds of stories you could tell in this universe.  Some of these side stories are just silly.  And over the top "woke." 

I watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 in one night.  Very high.  I watched the second 4 episodes in a second night.  Very high again.  So the artistic flair never got old for me Cheesy  I just sat back and went with it.  I'm inclined to think it was created for just that mode of appreciation.

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › American Gods

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News