Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this (Read 220 times)
RidleyReport
LNF Intern20

NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this
Feb 12th, 2019 at 4:33am
Print Post  
New Hampshire has no law forbidding non-pupils from carrying firearms on school grounds.   Perhaps in part because of this, there has not yet been a major school shooting in New Hampshire.  I can't even name a minor one.

A new bill aims to change the legal framework somewhat, though I'm not sure it would create a situation where guns could become outright illegal on school grounds. As the summary from Legislative Services puts it:

"This bill allows a school district, school administrative unit, or chartered public school to adopt and enforce a policy regulating firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives within its jurisdiction."

Bill text: https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB101/id/1833256

One worrisome question would be this: Just how big *is* a school district's "juristiction?" Could schools create a situation where they are forbidding guns in a wider area than expected?  And what exactly would "enforce' mean? 

According to the link above, the public hearing is slated for 02/13/2019 09:00 am
After that it is still possible to weigh in before the vote occurs (probably around late Feb.)For those in state, This link lets you email the committee members: http://www.gencourtmobile.com/2019/hb101

Want freedom? Move to New Hampshire!
http://FreeStateProject.org
IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Re: NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
It's a delicate balance isn't it...states rights, vs. local rights, vs feds...

I think one of the largest mistakes made in education over the past 50 years has been the centralization of it...years ago, it was all controlled at the town level...principals, superintendents etc..the local people, parents, closely watched what was going on, you knew the good teachers from bad...bad ones weeded out, little bureaucracy...

I hate when legislators introduce legislation when there is no problem or history of problems...

while I'm in favor of local control, I'm not so sure about this, as it's impacting a fundamental right...they are not answering the question of what problem are we trying to solve...

I suppose that's the job of the feds, to step in when states cross the line, as in the heller case, but otherwise leave the states alone...

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I don't have a problem with adult workers in schools having the right to have a gun in the school.  The adult workers are not the ones who have been shooting up the place.  That has been done by the kids.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:40am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:13am:
I don't have a problem with adult workers in schools having the right to have a gun in the school.  The adult workers are not the ones who have been shooting up the place.  That has been done by the kids.

true - I just fear that right exists already, but locals districts may now have the right to remove it...that's the way I read it.

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:47am
Print Post  
petep wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:40am:
true - I just fear that right exists already, but locals districts may now have the right to remove it...that's the way I read it.

You could be correct, although I didn't read it that way.  The left does tend to want to limit our gun rights, don't they?  I'm going to have to think on that.  I do have a grandson in public school in N.H., and I like to think of him as well-protected at school.

IP Logged

RidleyReport
LNF Intern20

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:13am:
The adult workers are not the ones who have been shooting up the place.  That has been done by the kids.

forcing them to get up at 7am and sit at a desk, packing them into relatively confined spaces with other kids they don't like, impoverishing their parents to pay for it... what could possibly go wrong!

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
No school shootings in New Hampshire? Hmmm, maybe because the kids could shoot back.

Wink

Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

RidleyReport
LNF Intern20

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
petep wrote: "I suppose that's the job of the feds, to step in when states cross the line, as in the heller case, but otherwise leave the states alone... "

When you think about how rarely the intervene to protect a right, and how often they intervene to attack a right... it would be better if they all got productive jobs and we turned their buildings into apartments or stores.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
People forget, pre 1960 most public schools had marksmanship program. Every public school in New York City has one and kids over 16 could bring their own guns to school. No shootings no gun violence at schools, despite the city being pretty rotten back then.

One could never imagine that today.

What happened?  Did the country or nyc move to the left of the right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog