Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Self-Driving cars
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Self-Driving cars (Read 887 times)
KSU_Aviator
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

Red pots for jammies

Re: Self-Driving cars
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I love the idea. Being able to jump in my car, punch in an address and then do anything else so is appealing to me. Especially since the roads around here are so congested. It'd be nice to just let the car handle it and let me relax. I get so much road rage these days.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Don't sweat it Ladybug.  You and I will both be dead and gone long before self driving cars are a thing.  It will be very slowly adopted and possibly scrapped altogether as infeasible.  It's something that might just require 100% participation before the benefits are seen.  And the important thing is people having to be willing to give up control.  That doesn't come naturally for people.  It's akin to being a passenger in an airplane. But instead of seeing fluffy clouds out your window you're seeing cars, parked cars, children playing basketball, couples walking across the street all around you and in front of you.  That's disorienting.  And I bet will require tinted to the point of being shuttered windows.  Are people in elevators really calm and relaxed?  The whole prospect seems like a psychological nightmare. 

And people who think this is going to be a boon for owners as they shed truckers.  You're not thinking of how the trucking industry actually works.  You're seeing the huge interstates where the truck can automatically just chug along.  Big warehouse to big warehouse just off the exit on I-USA.  You're not seeing the shithole alleyways truckers need to back down jacknifing their trucks to get to that one remaining Red Owl store in Eureka, South Dakota.  They're not seeing the 3 miles of dirt road, curves and hills that trucker is taking 5 times a day to get to his pig and cattle loads.  They're not seeing the ice storm and 5 - 8 inches of snow we're going to get ... again ... in a couple of days.

At best if they're able to automate some main warehouse to warehouse lines, it'll keep the price of trucking from spiraling out of control.  There is such a shortage of drivers right now you're a fool if you aren't considering entering the field.  Automation will help with supply chain problems all over the place in every industry.  Those drivers working those plum warehouse to warehouse jobs will be in high demand just as much in big cities where trucks are delivering product to downtown businesses with back alley loading docks as they will be to dairy farms in New Jersey. 

Or maybe I'm just getting old and lacking imagination.  At best it's a coin toss.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Don't sweat it Ladybug.  You and I will both be dead and gone long before self driving cars are a thing.  It will be very slowly adopted and possibly scrapped altogether as infeasible.  It's something that might just require 100% participation before the benefits are seen.  And the important thing is people having to be willing to give up control.  That doesn't come naturally for people.  It's akin to being a passenger in an airplane. But instead of seeing fluffy clouds out your window you're seeing cars, parked cars, children playing basketball, couples walking across the street all around you and in front of you.  That's disorienting.  And I bet will require tinted to the point of being shuttered windows.  Are people in elevators really calm and relaxed?  The whole prospect seems like a psychological nightmare. 

And people who think this is going to be a boon for owners as they shed truckers.  You're not thinking of how the trucking industry actually works.  You're seeing the huge interstates where the truck can automatically just chug along.  Big warehouse to big warehouse just off the exit on I-USA.  You're not seeing the shithole alleyways truckers need to back down jacknifing their trucks to get to that one remaining Red Owl store in Eureka, South Dakota.  They're not seeing the 3 miles of dirt road, curves and hills that trucker is taking 5 times a day to get to his pig and cattle loads.  They're not seeing the ice storm and 5 - 8 inches of snow we're going to get ... again ... in a couple of days.

At best if they're able to automate some main warehouse to warehouse lines, it'll keep the price of trucking from spiraling out of control.  There is such a shortage of drivers right now you're a fool if you aren't considering entering the field.  Automation will help with supply chain problems all over the place in every industry.  Those drivers working those plum warehouse to warehouse jobs will be in high demand just as much in big cities where trucks are delivering product to downtown businesses with back alley loading docks as they will be to dairy farms in New Jersey. 

Or maybe I'm just getting old and lacking imagination.  At best it's a coin toss.

Queshank

Sorry man, you're getting old. You sound like the ones who said the car will never replace the horse.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Or maybe I'm just getting old and lacking imagination. 

Oh no Q...trust me..  you have a fantastic imagination..

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
LadyBug wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 8:28am:
The thought of driverless cars, or even self-driving vehicles with a driver sitting behind the wheel, sharing the roads and highways with us scares me. It's becoming more and more prevalent with mayors okaying deals with the companies producing them, even though some deaths of pedestrians have been documented from these vehicles not recognizing their presence. Who knows what other "mishaps" have occurred that have not been publicized? I don't like it one bit. There are enough dangers out there already from inattentive, distracted,  and incapacitated live drivers. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?  Undecided

Right now, I would not get into a self-driving car. I don't trust it to be safe.

But down the line, maybe even in our lifetimes, I can see the technology improving to a point where self-driving cars are the norm. It just takes a while for us for technology and trust to fully come together. After all, for a time I'm sure people weren't so sure about flying on a jet plane, or even driving a car capable of going at high speeds. Now, we just take it for granted that we'll be safe.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Is this a great time to be alive or what?  Think about it.  I can get as liquored up as I want, barely stagger out to my car, pour myself in, say "take me home", and it will!   Tongue

Greg

"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Greg55_99 wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 6:52pm:
Is this a great time to be alive or what?  Think about it.  I can get as liquored up as I want, barely stagger out to my car, pour myself in, say "take me home", and it will!   Tongue

Greg

Your car can fly to Africa?

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:06pm:
Your car can fly to Africa?

LOL  OUCH!! LOL

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:41pm:
Sorry man, you're getting old. You sound like the ones who said the car will never replace the horse.

Or I sound like someone saying we aren't going to be living the Jetsons lifestyle in the next twenty years.  Same same.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Marvin
LNF Staffer3

Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:11am
Print Post  
LadyBug wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 8:28am:
The thought of driverless cars, or even self-driving vehicles with a driver sitting behind the wheel, sharing the roads and highways with us scares me. It's becoming more and more prevalent with mayors okaying deals with the companies producing them, even though some deaths of pedestrians have been documented from these vehicles not recognizing their presence. Who knows what other "mishaps" have occurred that have not been publicized? I don't like it one bit. There are enough dangers out there already from inattentive, distracted,  and incapacitated live drivers. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?  Undecided

I would be hesitant to drive or ride in one while in the early years of development. Once perfected, I can see how it could cut down on mishaps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Self-Driving cars

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules