Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit (Read 589 times)
Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Despite the fact that nearly one-third of American households have a firearm, studies show that having a gun in the home poses a household a greater health risk than a potential benefit. A new study released in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine examined scientific research on both sides of the debate to put hard numbers to this on-going discussion.

Author David Hemenway studied the various risks of having a gun in the home, including accidents, suicide, homicide, and intimidation. Additionally, the benefits of having a firearm in a household were also examined and those benefits included deterrence, and thwarting crimes (self-defense). From this in-depth look, it was concluded that homes with guns were not safer or deter more crime than those that do not. In fact, it was found that in homes with children or women, the health risks were even greater.

"Whereas most men are murdered away from home," wrote Hemenway. "Most children, older adults, and women are murdered at home. A gun in the home is a particularly strong risk factor for female homicide victimization."

It's not just the increased risk by others in a home with a gun, but also an increased risk of suicide.

"Even though suicide attempts with guns are infrequent, more Americans kill themselves with guns than with all other methods combined," wrote Hemenway. "That is because among methods commonly used in suicide attempts, firearms are the most lethal."

Link

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Re: Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  

Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely. One meta-analysis ”found strong evidence for increased odds of suicide among persons with access to firearms compared with those without access and moderate evidence for an attenuated increased odds of homicide victimization when persons with and without access to firearms were compared.” The latter finding is stronger for women, a reminder that guns are also a risk factor for domestic violence.

The same thing is true for accidents. States with more guns see more accidental deaths from firearms, and children ages 5 to 14 are 11 times more likely to be killed with a gun in the US compared to other developed countries, where gun ownership is much less common.

About half of gun accident fatalities happen to people under 25, and some recent analyses suggest that the official count of gun accident deaths among children is understated.

”When 34 injury prevention experts were asked to prioritize home injury hazards for young children, based on frequency, severity, and preventability of the injury, the experts rated access to firearms in the home as the most significant hazard,” Harvard gun expert David Hemenway writes.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that “the absence of guns from children’s homes and communities is the most reliable and effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries in children and adolescents.”
Link

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
The infamous kellerman study that the gun ban lobby often cites, related to this topic, has been debunked so many times as pure junk science...

https://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2004/07/26/kellermann

https://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kellerman-schaffer.html

you can find numerous other studies...

or use common sense and simply look at his methodology...

it's a bit like when mayors against gun violence (anti gun group led by bloomberg) listed victims of gun violence...when forced to publish the raw data examination quickly showed "victims" included the likes of the boston bomber...

c'mon fids...don't become wads...research before posting...

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:19pm:
The infamous kellerman study that the gun ban lobby often cites, related to this topic, has been debunked so many times as pure junk science...

https://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2004/07/26/kellermann

https://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kellerman-schaffer.html

you can find numerous other studies...

or use common sense and simply look at his methodology...

it's a bit like when mayors against gun violence (anti gun group led by bloomberg) listed victims of gun violence...when forced to publish the raw data examination quickly showed "victims" included the likes of the boston bomber...

Despite the NRA's attempts to discredit the research, the Kellerman study is/was supported by peer review.

From the Harvard Injury Control Research Center

1. Across states, more guns = more unintentional firearm deaths

We analyzed data for 50 states over 19 years to investigate the relationship between gun prevalence and accidental gun deaths across different age groups.  For every age group, where there are more guns, there are more accidental deaths.  The mortality rate was 7 times higher in the four states with the most guns compared to the four states with the fewest guns.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David.  Firearm availability and unintentional firearm deaths.  Accident Analysis and Prevention.  2001; 33:477-84.

2. Across states, unsafe gun storage = more unintentional firearm deaths

We analyzed data from the 2002 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System that asked questions about guns and gun storage in the home, combined with information on deaths from the National Center for Health Statistics.  Across states, both firearm prevalence AND questionable storage practices (i.e. storing firearms loaded and unlocked) were associated with higher rates of unintentional firearm deaths.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David; Vriniotis, Mary.  Firearm storage practices and rates of unintentional firearm deaths in the United States.  Accident Analysis and Prevention.  2005; 37:661-67.

3. Youth killed in gun accidents are shot by other youth

The majority of people killed in firearm accidents are under age 24, and most of these young people are being shot by someone else, usually someone their own age.  The shooter is typically a friend or family member, often an older brother.  By contrast, older adults are at a far lower risk of accidental firearm death, and most often are shooting themselves.  This article highlights one of the many benefits of the National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS).  Before the NVDRS, data on the shooter in unintentional gun deaths was not readily available.

Hemenway, David; Barber, Catherine; Miller, Matthew.  Unintentional firearm deaths: a comparison of other-inflicted and self-inflicted shootings.  Accident Analysis & Prevention.  2010; 42:1184-8.

AND it appears that your link ...  https://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2004/07/26/kellermann ; .. supports Kellermann..

If Republicans would stop blocking research into gun injuries we could have a better picture of the damage being done.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
So?

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:33pm:
So?

This.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
God bless poor fids. He doesn’t understand data and analysis. Net our suicides (or we can talk about japan). That takes us down to around 15k deaths annually. Now net our illegal uses of guns, gangs etc. heck what does chicago alone act a year - 300-500 annually. You are talking a tiny number of deaths annually. How many defensive uses annually. 2.5 mill. No you say. Of let’s use the most conservative estimates 500k. Let’s drop that by 80 percent. 100k.

Fids, let’s talk about bathtub and pool drownings next?

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:47pm:
Fids, let’s talk about bathtub and pool drownings next?

Sure.. What's your misunderstandings about those?

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I like guns.  I have shot many times, and scored highly on shooting ranges.  I am generally supportive of responsible gun ownership.

I have a wife and kids.  I have spent enormous personal capital in growing my family.  My kids want to go to a shooting range at some point, and I will take them.  I think they should have the experience, and gain basic literacy with guns.

But I cannot imagine buying a gun and keeping it at home for safety purposes.  No way, no how.  It would terrify my wife, it presents a major accident risk with kids around, showing off, whatever.  Yes, I could lock it up, but nothing is foolproof.

The odds of something bad happening are simply much higher than the odds of something "home-protection-y" happening.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:52pm:
I like guns.  I have shot many times, and scored highly on shooting ranges.  I am generally supportive of responsible gun ownership.

I have a wife and kids.  I have spent enormous personal capital in growing my family.  My kids want to go to a shooting range at some point, and I will take them.  I think they should have the experience, and gain basic literacy with guns.

But I cannot imagine buying a gun and keeping it at home for safety purposes.  No way, no how.  It would terrify my wife, it presents a major accident risk with kids around, showing off, whatever.  Yes, I could lock it up, but nothing is foolproof.

The odds of something bad happening are simply much higher than the odds of something "home-protection-y" happening.

Fc, your third paragraph speaks volumes. In a bad way. Show off??

When I moved to Los Angeles I took no firearms because of la laws at the time. I was robbed three times my first three weeks there. On one occasion there is no doubt if I were a woman or weaker I would have been killed. I was 22 at the time and had finished 4 years of college boxing. The guy that I got (who was in my home) when the police brought me down to station said he had been arrested 28 times since he was 14 and a warrant was out for him last 6 months on a homicide

I think you need to read up on some stats. Each day there are rapes, killings etc. if your data is it has not happened to you therefore it does not happen so there is no need for self defense then you fit well in the fids and wads camp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules