Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit (Read 771 times)
Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

What's the frequency,
Kenneth?

Re: Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Reply #30 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 10:54am:
The point is that 'sugar' risks only the individual consuming it.  Still I suspect many wives would have preferred to be threatened by a bag of Dixie Crystals sugar than a 9mm..

And I see your point about skiing as we see so many incidences of people taking someone skiing so that they can collide with them as many times as it takes to kill'um..

I wonder if the danger of home based firearms is just another form of natural selection.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #31 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 10:54am:
The point is that 'sugar' risks only the individual consuming it.  Still I suspect many wives would have preferred to be threatened by a bag of Dixie Crystals sugar than a 9mm..

And I see your point about skiing as we see so many incidences of people taking someone skiing so that they can collide with them as many times as it takes to kill'um..

I wonder which causes more health costs and provides a greater risk to more American lives? Sugar or guns in the home?

If it's all about the "health risks", then I feel there should be some prioritization. Else it just appears political, masked under the veil of "health risks".

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:25am:
I wonder if the danger of home based firearms is just another form of natural selection.

How dare you?

This is all about "health risks". Fiddler, and the author, are just concerned about health. And guns are the number one contributor of "health risks" in the country today, don't you know?
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:49am by Rabbit_Reborn »  

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #33 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:37am:
And guns are the number one contributor of "health risks" in the country today, don't you know?

Cranking up the strawman assembly line or exaggeration for effect again?

Regardless of your misrepresentation the assertion is "Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit"  not that they are "the number one contributor of "health risks" in the country today"..

Sarcasm is one thing but at least try to stay honest.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #34 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 10:34am:
As a matter of fact, I don't have to follow any of those rules so long as I keep my car on my property.

Think about it.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a car, if you can only use it on your driveway.  My analogy stands.  There was a time when cars were unregulated.  Some-many-thousand deaths, fraud cases, uninsured collisions, and assorted civil judgments later, the people realized that cars and trucks are too dangerous to be left unregulated.

There is a precedent.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #35 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 10:13am:
Indeed.  Cars, as useful as they are, have been so dangerous in certain circumstances that we have a raft of regulations, licensing, renewals, insurance requirements, and criminal codes governing their use and ownership.

Think about it.
I ride a motorcycle, which is inherently more hazardous to operate then a car and yet short of outlawing them, we operate them understanding the risks involved.  No need to put any additional regulations, everyone uses them understanding the risks involved, just like riding a motorcycle.  The outrage and fear mongering about guns do not live up to the other hazards we deal with on a daily basis.  To me, this is simply irrational people who have fears that do not live up to the hype.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #36 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:58pm:
To me, this is simply irrational people who have fears that do not live up to the hype.

Then you have a problem with the data.  Sadly, it's not the first nor will it be the last time that you reject facts.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #37 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:17pm:
11. Self-defense gun use is rare and not more effective at preventing injury than other protective actions

Victims use guns in less than 1% of contact crimes, and women never use guns to protect themselves against sexual assault (in more than 300 cases).  Victims using a gun were no less likely to be injured after taking protective action than victims using other forms of protective action.  Compared to other protective actions, the National Crime Victimization Surveys provide little evidence that self-defense gun use is uniquely beneficial in reducing the likelihood of injury or property loss.

This article helps provide accurate information concerning self-defense gun use.   It shows that many of the claims about the benefits of gun ownership are largely myths.

Hemenway D, Solnick SJ.  The epidemiology of self-defense gun use: Evidence from the National Crime Victimization Surveys 2007-2011.  Preventive Medicine.  2015; 79: 22-27.

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.
How many times are guns used in self Defense?
A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation found that defensive gun uses occur an average of 67,740 times per year.
I just came home from target practice. Not a good day. I didn’t keep them all in the black. That is the slow fire, 7, 8,9,10 in a 3 inch diameter, I missed and got some 6’s. And the rapid fire did not go good today either. The 9 and 10 are in a 3 inch diameter and I got lots of 8’s. That is a big 4 ½ diameter. I guess they wouldn’t have all fit right between some idiots eyes. And that was only at 50 feet from targets. I compete at the 50 yard slow fire and 25 yard timed and rapid. I am not worried about any self-defense. If I am lucky, I will never have to use it.
Smiley

Freedom

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #38 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 2:39pm:
If I am lucky, I will never have to use it.

That's the point.  Very few people do.

Until recently I lived in the gun loving mountains of North Carolina.  I am the only person I know personally that has used a gun for something that could even remotely be considered self-defense.  I held a pistol up to the window in my front door so that some guy the cops were chasing could see it from outside.

You live the gun life...you're a motorcycle thug...how many people do you know that have used a gun for self-defense?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #39 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
This sounds an awful lot like the "having a swimming pool increases the risk of your child drowning in your backyard a millionfold" argument.

First time I ever got stitches I was 6 years old and had cut myself drying a butcher knife.  (I remember I was 6 because I got 6 stitches and said that a lot.)   Imagine if that'd been my neck!  No knives in the house...that doesn't happen and little Q doesn't spray blood around the kitchen screaming and crying.

I broke 3 ribs and crappity smacked up my back for life wrecking a snowmobile when I was 24 years old.  The odds of that happening are reduced to zero if I hadn't owned a snowmobile at the time.

I messed up my right knee when I wrecked my motorcycle at the age of 20.  Still hurts to this day when it's damp and cold.  The odds of that having happened are reduced to zero if I hadn't owned a motorcycle.

I made an appointment with a dental surgeon recently.  I'm finally getting a tooth I've fought with for 30 years removed.  Caused my own problems in my anarchist/crappity smack the man days by removing my braces with a fishhook pliers.  The odds of me having this bad tooth are reduced to zero if I hadn't gotten braces in the mid 80s.

I really wish someone had been around to tell me not to own or do these things before I did them.  I'd probably be in great shape looking at 50 more years instead of a more reasonable 20.  Someone needs to start some kind of "Just Say No" campaign.  Might I suggest you start a crowdfunder?

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules