Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit (Read 777 times)
Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Re: Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit
Reply #40 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:51pm:
Kind of defeats the purpose of having a car, if you can only use it on your driveway. My analogy stands.   

No it doesn't. Not if you own a lot of land and build your own racetrack.

The government couldn't come in and give you a ticket for driving without a license or without insurance.

Because private property is different than public property. Obviously. So your analogy fails quite badly.

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting

Reply #41 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 12:46pm:
Cranking up the strawman assembly line or exaggeration for effect again?

Regardless of your misrepresentation the assertion is "Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit"  not that they are "the number one contributor of "health risks" in the country today"..

Sarcasm is one thing but at least try to stay honest.

The point being is that you (and the author) seem concerned about "health risks". Outside of gang violence, where do guns within the home rank in terms of deaths or injuries in a given year?

If it's all about the health risks, and making sure people own only safe things on their own property, then let's start with something that will actually make a difference.

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #42 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 1:58pm:
Then you have a problem with the data.  Sadly, it's not the first nor will it be the last time that you reject facts.

What data, show me the risk of death by gun in a home vs. death by a car.  Despite the numbers, I am more then willing to live with it.  I reject it because I do not need government to dictate what I can and can not do.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #43 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:16pm:
No it doesn't. Not if you own a lot of land and build your own racetrack.

The government couldn't come in and give you a ticket for driving without a license or without insurance.

Because private property is different than public property. Obviously. So your analogy fails quite badly.

Okay.  You go drive your car around your track on your private land.  The rest of us will continue working with real world comparisons.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting

Reply #44 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:27pm:
Okay.  You go drive your car around your track on your private land.  The rest of us will continue working with real world comparisons.

This is a dodge.

You don't want to address the fact that people can own a very dangerous piece of equipment on private land without government licensing or rules dictating their behavior.

But you will use the analogy for when that piece of equipment is used on public property for comparison's sake when addressing another piece of dangerous equipment on private property.

That's the real world. Most everybody, from libertarians to conservatives to liberals to moderate progressives, recognizes a very real and distinct difference between private and public property.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #45 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:01pm:
That's the point.  Very few people do.

Until recently I lived in the gun loving mountains of North Carolina.  I am the only person I know personally that has used a gun for something that could even remotely be considered self-defense.  I held a pistol up to the window in my front door so that some guy the cops were chasing could see it from outside.

You live the gun life...you're a motorcycle thug...how many people do you know that have used a gun for self-defense?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Hahaha. I refuse to answer because I might incriminate myself. Or a few friends.
Huh
Smiley

I wonder what you would do if someone threw a Molotov cocktail at you and friends in front of your club house?
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2019 at 11:33pm by Archie »  

Freedom

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

What's the frequency,
Kenneth?

Reply #46 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:11pm:
This sounds an awful lot like the "having a swimming pool increases the risk of your child drowning in your backyard a millionfold" argument.

First time I ever got stitches I was 6 years old and had cut myself drying a butcher knife.  (I remember I was 6 because I got 6 stitches and said that a lot.)   Imagine if that'd been my neck!  No knives in the house...that doesn't happen and little Q doesn't spray blood around the kitchen screaming and crying.

I broke 3 ribs and crappity smacked up my back for life wrecking a snowmobile when I was 24 years old.  The odds of that happening are reduced to zero if I hadn't owned a snowmobile at the time.

I messed up my right knee when I wrecked my motorcycle at the age of 20.  Still hurts to this day when it's damp and cold.  The odds of that having happened are reduced to zero if I hadn't owned a motorcycle.

I made an appointment with a dental surgeon recently.  I'm finally getting a tooth I've fought with for 30 years removed.  Caused my own problems in my anarchist/crappity smack the man days by removing my braces with a fishhook pliers.  The odds of me having this bad tooth are reduced to zero if I hadn't gotten braces in the mid 80s.

I really wish someone had been around to tell me not to own or do these things before I did them.  I'd probably be in great shape looking at 50 more years instead of a more reasonable 20.  Someone needs to start some kind of "Just Say No" campaign.  Might I suggest you start a crowdfunder?

Queshank

Sounds like you're beyond even crowdfunding help. But Archie might be able to talk one of his Mafia buddies into putting you out of your misery.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #47 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:30pm:
You don't want to address the fact that people can own a very dangerous piece of equipment on private land without government licensing or rules dictating their behavior..

Allow me to borrow from your Asteroid Impact rationale and ask...is there any limit to the 'very dangerous piece of equipment on private land"...say a 30Mt thermonuclear device in the middle of Houston... that would have you seeking the aid of an entity that though looks, acts and smells like a government isn't called government?

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting

Reply #48 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:17am:
Allow me to borrow from your Asteroid Impact rationale and ask...is there any limit to the 'very dangerous piece of equipment on private land"...say a 30Mt thermonuclear device in the middle of Houston... that would have you seeking the aid of an entity that though looks, acts and smells like a government isn't called government?

Let me respond by borrowing your impending AI Overlords and near-term Climate Destruction Nihilism rationale:

No.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #49 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:23am:
No.

Then, as I've suspected all along, your worldview is more religion than rationale..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Guns in the home provide greater health risk than benefit

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules