Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Why Magats are such losers...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why Magats are such losers... (Read 1,290 times)
TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Re: Why Magats are such losers...
Reply #50 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:04pm:
New housing that is built for the rich and used to move out the poor does not help the poor.  Who will build housing for the poor?

Low cost housing exists, and making it illegal to develop will not help create more.

Quote:
Licensing ensures that the poor will not get ripped off ( one example does not mean you should throw the baby out with the bath water)

There are many examples. I have cited just one.

Licensing is primarily about restricting the number of people working in a field, in order to raise wages.

That squeezes poor people out of a job AND increases the cost of the goods and services they buy.

Quote:
The purpose of regulations is to protect the consumer and the worker.

That's silly. Regulations can be designed for many purposes.

It's as if you've learned nothing.

Open Trade, Open Borders, Taco Trucks on Every Corner

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #51 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
By placing barriers to entry on jobs that could otherwise be performed by individuals with limited training, licensing often reduces opportunities for the most vulnerable workers and those who need these jobs the most.

In some entry-level occupations like bus driver, truck driver, pest control applicator, and cosmetologist, an occupational license is required in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.

These licenses impose significant education or experience prerequisites. Cosmetologists, for example, must accrue an average of 372 days of relevant training to procure a license to style hair.

https://www.mercatus.org/publications/study-american-capitalism/occupational-lic...

We should research, read or study up on issues before giving an opinion.

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #52 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
atreyu wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 7:41pm:
Really?  It was pretty obvious.....

It never once mentions 1% vs. 99%.  It talks about all this wealth being "given" to someone.  So it was, obviously, a poor depiction of what Ulysses claims the message to be.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #53 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 4:09pm:
We tried less regulation. Back in the 19th century. It wound up with a few robber barons accumulating huge wealth and power, trusts, and monopolies.

The US was a completely undeveloped landscape at the start of the 19th century.

The vast majority of citizens were subsistence farmers and slaves. It was an agrarian society and new.

By the end of the 19th century, the US was an economic power, and soon after became the economic superpower of the world.

The growth of the middle class was virtually unprecedented in that timeframe.

It wasn't perfect. But to use the American 19th century as some sort of example of gross economic failure is absurd.

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

What's the frequency,
Kenneth?

Reply #54 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 7:28am:
The US was a completely undeveloped landscape at the start of the 19th century.

The vast majority of citizens were subsistence farmers and slaves. It was an agrarian society and new.

By the end of the 19th century, the US was an economic power, and soon after became the economic superpower of the world.

The growth of the middle class was virtually unprecedented in that timeframe.

It wasn't perfect. But to use the American 19th century as some sort of example of gross economic failure is absurd.

I thought it was obvious I wasn't referring to the start of the 19th century, but rather the last, post Civil War portion, specifically the industrial revolution that led to the Gilded Age and the rise of the robber barons.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

TowardLiberty
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

anti-state, anti-war and
pro-market

Reply #55 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:59am:
I thought it was obvious I wasn't referring to the start of the 19th century, but rather the last, post Civil War portion, specifically the industrial revolution that led to the Gilded Age and the rise of the robber barons.

Those robber barons made life far better for people. That's how they became so wealthy. They developed products that were innovative and they made them available at ever lower prices.

And we know that many anti-trust lawsuits were initiated by companies who could not compete. Like progressive era regulation in general, anti-trust was, in many cases, regressive, reactionary and essentially conservative.

IP Logged

Wally Wants A Wall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #56 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
The $50 Lesson:

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog.

During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up.

She said she wanted to be President some day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?"

She replied... "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."

Her parents beamed with pride!

"Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her.

"What do you mean?" she replied.

So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

Her parents still aren't speaking to me.

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #57 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
TowardLiberty wrote on Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:12pm:
Low cost housing exists, and making it illegal to develop will not help create more.

There are many examples. I have cited just one.

Licensing is primarily about restricting the number of people working in a field, in order to raise wages.

That squeezes poor people out of a job AND increases the cost of the goods and services they buy.

That's silly. Regulations can be designed for many purposes.

It's as if you've learned nothing.

I don't think you understand.  No one is making it illegal to develop low cost housing.  Zoning and HUD laws makes it possible to create low income housing.  Capitalism won't do that.  They are for profit, not for charity.

There are also many examples that show that licenses protect the consumer.

The definition you share in another post does not support your redefinition of regulations.

wyattstorch2004 wrote on May 8th, 2019 at 8:18pm:
They work harder, improve their income, and/or spend less money until they have the means to save.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #58 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:59am:

Yes. That's included in the description I gave for the 19th century. Do you have anything of a point here?

The US went from a completely undeveloped and agrarian society to a massive economic power with a blossoming middle class, during the industrial revolution and the "Gilded Age", robber barons and all. Scant regulation of business.

If FaceBook memes and twitter accounts can sway elections, then either accept it as the new reality or let's figure out a new form of government. Because democracy is therefore unfit in the modern age.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

What's the frequency,
Kenneth?

Reply #59 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 2:32pm:
Yes. That's included in the description I gave for the 19th century. Do you have anything of a point here?

The US went from a completely undeveloped and agrarian society to a massive economic power with a blossoming middle class, during the industrial revolution and the "Gilded Age", robber barons and all. Scant regulation of business.

I didn't think I'd have to detail the abuses of the robber barons. But I guess the LNF con/libertarian contingent enjoys being exploited.

The details will have to wait until I have time for it. And I'm not sure it won't fall on deaf ears and/or closed minds.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Why Magats are such losers...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules