Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › WH Designates IRGC a Foreign Terrorist Organization
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WH Designates IRGC a Foreign Terrorist Organization (Read 4,414 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

WH Designates IRGC a Foreign Terrorist Organization
Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:36am
Print Post  

Quote:
BREAKING: Trump: US designates Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps a "foreign terrorist organization" in new effort to pressure Tehran.

AP

White House statement...

Quote:
Today, I am formally announcing my Administration’s plan to designate Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), including its Qods Force, as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.  This unprecedented step, led by the Department of State, recognizes the reality that Iran is not only a State Sponsor of Terrorism, but that the IRGC actively participates in, finances, and promotes terrorism as a tool of statecraft.  The IRGC is the Iranian government’s primary means of directing and implementing its global terrorist campaign.

This designation will be the first time that the United States has ever named a part of another government as a FTO.  It underscores the fact that Iran’s actions are fundamentally different from those of other governments.  This action will significantly expand the scope and scale of our maximum pressure on the Iranian regime.  It makes crystal clear the risks of conducting business with, or providing support to, the IRGC.  If you are doing business with the IRGC, you will be bankrolling terrorism.

This action sends a clear message to Tehran that its support for terrorism has serious consequences.  We will continue to increase financial pressure and raise the costs on the Iranian regime for its support of terrorist activity until it abandons its malign and outlaw behavior.

Source

Related thread: Iran Seeks Iraq's Help Defying US Sanctions

IP Logged

Wally Wants A Wall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: WH Designates IRGC a Foreign Terrorist Organization
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
During the Iraq war, the Qods Force was working together with Iraqi Terrorists killing American forces.  This was report along with the information that they were also providing IEDs an training for those who were fighting us.  Apparently, nothing was done because our government didn't want to confront Iran while we were fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Qods Force is the elite, Special Forces of the Iranian guard.  No doubt they are  up to their same tricks.   

Iran sponsors the Terror groups, HAMAS & Hezbollah, so it's reasonable to assume they are using their military to do the same.  After all, Iran is the number one state sponsor of terrorism and has had that distinction for decades.

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

― Socrates

img]https://i.imgur.com/prBnexU.jpg[/img]
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

LAYING THE SMACKDOWN ON
LIBERALS CANDY ASSES

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
GOOD unlike the Sissy obama who gave them billions in cash to help his muslim terrorist brothers out

AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT         BITCHES

IP Logged

jus_cogens2

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
This does nothing but bring us closer to the war that John Bolton wants. There's a reason the Pentagon and IC opposed this move.

The IRGC is already considered a terrorist organization under multiple sanctions authorities so this is largely a duplication.

It has no impact on U.S. persons because U.S. citizens are already legally prohibited from doing business with the IRGC. That's why Trump's Baku business is creating legal trouble for him, he violated US secondary sanctions against the IRGC.

It also has no practical impact on third countries because we already have authorities to sanction anyone doing business with the IRGC.

The only thing this adds is that in addition to sanctions, we could take businesses to court, but the legal bar to take companies to court is far far higher than the bar to impose sanctions and proving that a firm is KNOWINGLY doing business with an IRGC front company is incredibly difficult without getting into intelligence information that courts cannot use and which the IC won't share (the knowledge basis for sanctions is generally that the firm had reason to know, you don't need to prove definitively they knew they broke the law, which is why we'd just rely on the sanctions authorities we already have anyway).

What this really amounts to is, because the administration cannot muster the international sanctions coalition that put real pressure on Iran under Bush/Obama and got us the JCPOA, they're now resigned to symbolic measures to look tough but which really amount to a flailing strategy.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:08pm by jus_cogens2 »  

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Representative

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
jus_cogens2 wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
This does nothing but bring us closer to the war that John Bolton wants. There's a reason the Pentagon and IC opposed this move.

Agreed.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:59pm
Print Post  

jus_cogens2 wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
This does nothing but bring us closer to the war that John Bolton wants.

This is my concern, and I think it should be everyone's. Prior to this announcement, there was this:

Iran responsible for deaths of 608 American troops in Iraq

The drumbeats for war with Iran seem to be growing, and that's troubling.

Quote:
What this really amounts to is, because the administration cannot muster the international sanctions coalition that put real pressure on Iran under Bush/Obama and got us the JCPOA, they're now resigned to symbolic measures to look tough but which really amount to a flailing strategy.

I wish I believed that Bolton and Pompeo just wished to luck tough. I think they have another goal in mind.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Lebanon’s Hezbollah warns US pressure on Iran may backfire

BEIRUT (AP) — The leader of the Lebanese militia group Hezbollah is calling the U.S. decision to designate Iran’s Revolutionary Guard as a foreign terrorist organization “stupidity,” and warns that the group and its allies may respond to any further escalation.

Hassan Nasrallah said Wednesday that the Trump administration’s decision stems from the “failure” of its policies in the region.

The Guard is the main backer for Hezbollah, which plays an influential role in the Lebanese government and is already designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S.

Nasrallah said that although his group and Iran are sanctioned, that “does not mean we have no power cards.”

Source

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  

Don't know why I'm bothering to update this, but here y'all go...

Quote:
Pompeo Is Warned Against Sidestepping Congress for Conflict With Iran

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo left open the possibility on Wednesday of entering a conflict with Iran without first seeking explicit congressional approval, telling senators “there is no doubt there is a connection” between Al Qaeda and Iran...

Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky, pushed Mr. Pompeo to commit that the Trump administration would not attack Iran under a war authorization allowing the use of military force against Al Qaeda and other extremist groups responsible for the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Mr. Pompeo demurred, saying he would “prefer to just leave that to lawyers.”

Mr. Paul, a libertarian who promotes isolationist policies, said he was troubled by Mr. Pompeo’s response. “I can tell you explicitly, you have not been given power or authority by Congress to have war with Iran,” he said in the exchange at a hearing of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Mr. Pompeo pivoted, noting ties between Iran and Al Qaeda: “There is no doubt there is a connection. Period. Full stop”...

Source

And there you have it; the bs legal justification (more like, cover) for invading/going to war with Iran.

You can watch Pompeo's Senate testimony here, where he also addresses our troops remaining in Syria to counter Iran.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Wally Wants A Wall wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:44am:
During the Iraq war, the Qods Force was working together with Iraqi Terrorists killing American forces. 

People killing soldiers of an invading force are not terrorists.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying they were good people, but calling them "terrorists" and not "insurgents" or "resistance" is buying in to the state's propaganda.

Buddy_Love wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
I'm fine where I am. I love America. However, you don't like America, so it's you that should leave.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › WH Designates IRGC a Foreign Terrorist Organization

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules