Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers...
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers... (Read 797 times)
Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him Out!

Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers...
Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Sort of like the 1930's.

Would it be OK?

Would we be happier?

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Wally Wants A Wall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Re: Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers...
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:11pm:
Sort of like the 1930's.

Would it be OK?

Would we be happier?

More like the mid 1980's.  The first home computer was the Apple 2e came out in 1984.  (although previously they did have the Commodore and Sinclair, they were more toy platforms).

I've been pretty happy throughout my life.  In 1985 I was promoted to Sgt. and also became an instructor in the police academy.  Ah, life was good!  Even without cellphones, the internet and computers.  (We did have a NCIC system but no PC's)

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

― Socrates

img]https://i.imgur.com/prBnexU.jpg[/img]
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

AmericanMom
LNF Party Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers...
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
My now grown children never could understand when I told them of a world without internet and cell phones. How if I needed to call home I found a pay phone, how there wasnt such a thing as texting, we actually wrote letters because long distance phone calling was off limits in our house to us teens, the look on their faces when I pulled out the rotary phone lol 

Many of us could survive just fine, a bit of an adjustment (most of my farm business is done via the internet and social media) but in the long run our lives might be less complicated...
BUT
the downside MHO would be getting to the truth of the matter, we would go back to only getting our news from the MSM and not being able to sit in the comfort of our own homes and researching.  Never again would I be able to search for the lowest price with free shipping at the click of a button, pay bills with one click ease.  Most of my family lives half way across the country, social media is a great way to stay in touch, see photo's of my nieces and nephews and share of meme with my mother that has us both in stitches.  BUt.. I wouldnt have a problem with it in the long run,. it might create new avenues

The younger generation wouldnt know what to do with themselves.. The mental community would make a killing in new cases.

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Representative

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:11pm:
Sort of like the 1930's.

Would it be OK?

Would we be happier?

Would we be ok?  Probably

Would we be happier?  I wouldn't.  I'd have to go back to physical labor  Smiley

IP Logged

RWB
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

LAYING THE SMACKDOWN ON
LIBERALS CANDY ASSES

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I'd rather imagine a world without Liberals trying to destroy America at every thing they do.

I'M HERE TO KICK ASS AND DRINK WHISKEY AND LIBERALS I'M ALL OUT OF WHISKEY

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him Out!

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
RWB wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:52pm:
I'd rather imagine a world without Liberals trying to destroy America at every thing they do.

Please stay on topic.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him Out!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Wally Wants A Wall wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:25pm:
More like the mid 1980's.  The first home computer was the Apple 2e came out in 1984.  (although previously they did have the Commodore and Sinclair, they were more toy platforms).

I've been pretty happy throughout my life.  In 1985 I was promoted to Sgt. and also became an instructor in the police academy.  Ah, life was good!  Even without cellphones, the internet and computers.  (We did have a NCIC system but no PC's)

Well, the fact is that the topic said "computers", not personal computers.

Computers were first developed in the 1940's, although elements of computers dated back to the 19 century (Babbage and all that).

In the 1950's, corporations and businesses increasingly used computers for various tasks. Ever heard of IBM?

Of course I mentioned the Internet, which did become widely used in the 1990's, but I was using a PC back in the early 1980's. We used modems and dial-up back then to get to social networks, although we didn't call them that back then.

However my point is that computers of any kind inevitably seemed to lead to their eventual domestication. They are everywhere now, even in door bells. But back in the 30's (I'm not THAT old) pretty much all command and control was human/manual, or mechanical (and the mechanical parts of control system got very complex).

Personally I think we could do without computers, and be as happy as we are today. Maybe even happier, I don't know.

One downside of computers, the Internet, and social networking is that it's become far easier for people to spread misinformation and manipulated millions of humans to do their bidding. This is a problem that doesn't seem to have a solution. Getting rid of all computers is perhaps one way, but of course that's never gonna happen. Before computers you had traveling con-men, snake oil vendors, if you will, who could, on a small scale, trick people into making decisions they would later regret. You also had the power of radio broadcasts and daily newspapers, which also could, under the control of an evil state or company, trick people into less than optimal decisions. I'm thinking of how the Hearst and Pulitzer newspapers tricked the American public into supporting a largely unnecessary war with Spain over Cuba. Or how the Nazis perfected mass media propaganda to brainwash an entire nation to support (or at least look the other way) heinous crimes against humanity.

OK, that's enough for now. I have a garden machine to fix.

IP Logged

crepe05
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I would be fine,  We had libraries that we walked to as a family.  Movies that we walked to as a family (no car).  We even walked to Velvet Freeze to get an ice cream cone.  We had "refrigerators with no freezers in them except a small container to make ice cubes in.  We used fans for moving the air around in the summer when it was so beastly hot.  We had a washer machine with a ringer that squeezed the water out of the clothes and then hung the clothes to dry on the clothes line hanging out doors.  In the winter it hung in the basement to try.  Wet clothes don't dry on the line outside when it's cold outside.  We had the radio on all day.  We got a morning and an evening newspaper every day.  We ate our meals together sitting at the dining room table.  Wen I would say that I was bored sometimes, Mom would tell me I could dust the furniture or wash the dishes or whatever.  I stopped telling her I was bored and went and read a book.

It basically was a good life, except for something that happened (a reference to the words used by the freshman congresswoman to describe 9-11) that was started by a man name Adolph Hitler.  Our "something" was WWII.   But we still had our radio, newspapers, comic books, etc   not as many daddys, though. 

Yep, we don't really need the other junk to have a good life.  It's the people that make a life worth living, imo, of course.

IP Logged

walkstall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus
LNF Bunker

WYSIWYG

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:58pm:
Please stay on topic.

ROTFLMAF  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him Out!

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Uh-huh...

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:58pm by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Imagine a world without the internet, without computer networks, without computers...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules