Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Game of Thrones
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Game of Thrones (Read 429 times)
fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Game of Thrones
Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Any fans out there?  Winter has finally arrived. Wow!
Great episode.  Tormund, what a character!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Game of Thrones
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I really hope it's good.  I'm going to wait until a few more episodes so I can watch several in a row.

I did not like some of the choices they made in the last season.  I've been worried about what would happen once the showrunners ran out of Martin's material to use.  It's one thing to interpret something.  It's another entirely to create it from nothing.  And I think the HBO writers fell down on that job a bit.  I actually called a friend after a few episodes last season to ask "What the crappity smack was that?" 

I've been a fan of this story for over 20 years so I really take it seriously lol.

They better not crappity smack this up!

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Okay I broke down and watched the first 3 episodes yesterday.  Can't do anything without seeing something about GoT and being tempted to click to read so I had to catch up to the real world.

I started to get concerned when the tv show was outpacing Martin's writing.  And from my perspective as a reader of the books since the release of the first in the late 90s, there was a shift in tone when the HBO writers started taking over.  It started to get more ... pop culture ... and less gritty and real.  I thought that was supposed to work the other way around.  Pop culture isn't supposed to infect sprawling epic stories.  Sprawling epic stories are supposed to infect pop culture.  Can you imagine the B team finishing any of Tolkein's work?  I shudder to think.

And on that note ... overall I'm happy with how they're wrapping it up.  Deus ex machina ending of episode 3 or not, I still cheered.  Sappy moments with "all your favorite characters" or not ... it's still fun to live in a time where HBO made a series out of one of my favorite stories. 

Now if they start dipping into Robin Hobb's work I can die feeling my life is complete.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I thoroughly enjoyed last night's battle. The charging Dothrakis getting quickly decimated during their charge set the tone for the hopeless battle ahead.
The fact that so many off the main characters survived the battle, even though they were in the forefront seemed a bit much.
But I ain't complaining.  I know that many of the purists that are into the book aren't happy with the recent episodes.  But I just view it as some dumb/fun fantasy.
I get it though, I was a big fan of the Dune series of books. Was very disappointed with the campy movie that came out in 1984. Grin
Well rumor has it there's a remake in the works for 2020.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:40pm by fair-minded know it all »  

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
fair-minded know it all wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:32pm:
I thoroughly enjoyed last night's battle. The charging Dothrakis getting quickly decimated during their charge set the tone for the hopeless battle ahead.
The fact that so many off the main characters survived the battle, even though they were in the forefront seemed a bit much.
But I ain't complaining.  I know that many of the purists that are into the book aren't happy with the recent episodes.  But I just view it as some dumb/fun fantasy.
I get it though, I was a big fan of the Dune series of books. Was very disappointed with the campy movie that came out in 1984. Grin
Well rumor has it there's a remake in the works for 2020.

The way they handled the whole battle was awesome.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Even the dark and blurry nature of the shots.  You were seeing it how the participants would have seen it.  Dark, smoky, nothing but chaos. 

Some of those dragon battle scenes were hands down some of the best fantasy action combat scenes I've ever seen in a long history of watching every swords and sorcery story I could find.  The one scene of the two dragons hanging above the clouds to regroup was worthy of being turned into a painting.  I'm betting it's turned into a damn popular poster or something as ubiquitous as the old Farrah Fawcett posters all my older male cousins had hanging on their walls when I was a kid Cheesy

For me I was only 14 when the Dune movie came out so I loved it.  It's what launched my enjoyment of the entire Dune series and several other Frank Herbert novels as well.  It's all in how we first get exposed to the stories, ain't it? I did not watch the first remake of Dune.  I heard bad things and just didn't want to bother.  But I am hoping they do something amazing with this.  Dune could be a pretty damn impressive HBO series to take over when Game of Thrones finishes its run ..... hmmm. 

But I'm still hoping for Robin Hobb.  When I first started seeing Martin and Hobb making rounds together at speaking events and being hailed as the "King and Queen of Fantasy" a number of years ago I started crossing my fingers.  Martin is also a big fan of Hobb's work ... I can see him putting in a few good words to his HBO connections....

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Also ... the lighting of the Dothraki swords.  Awesome scene the way they panned out and just showed fire flaring up like the wave at a baseball game.  Good stuff. 

I am really quite impressed and happy with how they're handling this final season.  But after some of their choices in the past couple of seasons, my expectations were low, so there's that.

Queshank

IP Logged

PeterR
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  

Hated to see Lady Lyanna get done in.  She did take a giant down with her though.

Says the guy who "lost his shit after January 20, 2009."
(Or, am I the guy who shit his pants on 9/11 and spent the entire GWOT behind the safety of his monitor?  I can never remember.)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad."

IP Logged

fair-minded know it all
LNF Party Leader

fair-minded conservative
leaning independent

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 6:32am
Print Post  
PeterR wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
Hated to see Lady Lyanna get done in.  She did take a giant down with her though.

She was a feisty and spirited lass.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:51am:
Can you imagine the B team finishing any of Tolkein's work?  I shudder to think.

It dawned on me while discussing this very issue with my wife this morning ... that we don't have to imagine.  We all saw what a team of B grade writers did to "The Hobbit" at the movie theatres.  It is my contention that a bit of that kind of catering to a temporary audience has crept into the HBO production of GoT. 

My wife takes me to task for my negative criticism all the time.  We're currently arguing over whether Arya's master stroke at the end was an example of deus ex machina in action.  I maintain it is.  She always responds with annoying things like "Where's your tv series?"

Queshank

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
So it's not about people spending a lot of time in the toilets then...

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Game of Thrones

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules