Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Beyonce - Coachella
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Beyonce - Coachella (Read 579 times)
Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Beyonce - Coachella
May 3rd, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I don't care for Beyonce.  I think she's a mediocre talent that capitalized on a willingness to oil her body and erotically gesticulate to sell records.  (She's a good looking woman.)  She benefited tremendously from having a wealthy father who managed her career and started his own record company in the mid 90s.  Who sits on the board that decides who gets a grammy.

Destiny's Child was an amazing act.  I enjoyed their material a lot.  My wife ... a reasonable singer in her own right ... was a BIG fan.  (The only reason I know anything about Destiny's Child is my wife)

But when I started seeing a big stink about Taylor Swift "copying" Beyonce ... I had to dig.  And down the rabbit hole I went last night.  Pushed by my outraged and astonished wife.

The controversy is this:  At Coachella ... Beyonce had a drumline.  At the Billboard Music Awards ... Taylor Swift had a drumline.

Oh my stars and garters!

Apparently Beyonce fans are outraged that Taylor Swift is "copying" Beyonce.  Let's ignore that this is hardly the first time Taylor Swift has used a drumline.  And let's ignore that Taylor Swift used a drumline for her 2009/10 world tour.  (Who copied who?)

So my wife started watching Beyonce's "iconic" Coachella performance last night.  And dragged me along for the ride. 

This is "iconic" black culture?  This is an "iconic" performance? 

What?

Everything started to come into focus when they would pan the audience.  There were like 2 black people in the audience.  And hundreds of screaming white people virtue signalling at the top of their lungs.

I've seen a lot of concerts in my day.  Hell, I saw Metallica 7 times.  Guns n Roses 3 times.  I saw Pearl Jam at the First Avenue before they broke big.  (I've got a few great stories about that experience and accidentally knocking their elvish bass player into the street outside the bar and the ensuing conversations.)  I was at Lollapalooza in 1992. Having 100 people dancing behind you while you perform isn't a remarkable addition to the "concert" lexicon.

"Black culture" dominates the entertainment industry.  For 11% of the population they have more than their fair share of that pie.  Why is it necessary to virtue signal over mediocrity like this performance and movies like "Black Panther?" 

Jimi Hendrix.  Miles Davis.  Chuck Berry.  Michael Jackson (errr...well.)  Prince. 

Stevie Wonder.  Ray Charles.  Kanye West.  Aretha Franklin. Duke Ellington.  Louis Armstrong.  James Brown.  Marvin Gaye.  LL Cool J.  Etta James.  Billie Holiday.  John Coltrane.  Dizzie Gillespie.

ROBERT crappity smackING JOHNSON.  MUDDY crappity smackING WATERS!  ALBERT KING!  BUDDY GUY!

Hell I can name more amazing, influential black artists that created whole musical genres than I can white artists off the top of my head.  (Full disclosure I spent a couple years in a blues band, so there's that.)

But Beyonce's Coachella performance was representative of black culture?  So much so they had to release a documentary about it and Michelle Obama had to give her national kudos?

What part of that was "black culture?"  Twerking?  Or was it the dance moves she copied from Bob Fosse ... a white dude from the 50s?   (Are these same people outraged over this?)

What is happening to this country?  I've floated the idea before ... but I think this is what it's like to live at the end of a Golden Age. 

Can someone explain to me what was fantastic about Beyonce's Coachella performance other than her lookin' fine in a pair of Daisy Dukes?  (And isn't that cultural appropriation?)

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Re: Beyonce - Coachella
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2019 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Last night on Real Time with Bill Maher, one of Maher's guests was Moby. 

They talked about the decline in modern music and Bill asked whether Moby thought he was just getting old or whether music was truly just getting worse.  They both agree it's getting worse.  Of course they're also old white guys, like me.

We are living at the end of a golden age. 

I appreciate a lot of modern music.  There's some great stuff out there.  The problem is none of it is on the radio.

What's played on the radio is what sells.  And you would be surprised to know just how much of that music is written by the same person. 

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
All of the above was said in the 50’s about a man named Elvis Presley.

Music is a part of our capitalist society.  It sells.  It no lounger have a color barrier as it did 50 years ago. Old people think their music is the best that ever was.  Your grandma thought her music was the best that ever was.  And young people think theirs is the best.

PaleoCon wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:18am:
No blacks will buy that cap.  Look at the bill! It's all curved like normal people wear. The bill of the hat is supposed to be flat with a shiny goofy looking sticker in the middle of it.

No self respecting thug would be without his sticker!

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2019 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Money knows best...

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 7:15pm:
All of the above was said in the 50’s about a man named Elvis Presley.

Music is a part of our capitalist society.  It sells.  It no lounger have a color barrier as it did 50 years ago. Old people think their music is the best that ever was.  Your grandma thought her music was the best that ever was.  And young people think theirs is the best.

I think some modern music is some of the best I've ever heard.  Jack White is fantastic.  The Tedeschi Trucks band is awesome.  Sam and Ruby are a duo that are always on a playlist in our house.  The Black Keys.  Jack Johnson.  Ingrid Michaelson.  The first time I heard Alabama Shakes I ran out and bought all their albums. 

Beyonce just happens to be a mediocre talent that propelled herself to superstardom the same way Britney Spears did.  Oiling her body and pretending to masturbate on television.  Beyonce just happens to be a black woman that does everything she can to pass herself off as white.  She's got white appeal because she dies her hair blond and surrounds herself with darker skinned bandmates (check out pictures of Destiny's Child sometime) and can still claim she's a black artist.  So she's able to capitalize on both aspects and leverage her position like her dad showed her to do.  Britney wasn't able to.

I might be 48.  But that doesn't change the fact that empirical studies have been done to evaluate modern pop music and found it deteriorating in complexity, variety and style.  Science is science, Wads.

What do Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, Celine' Dion, Avril Lavigne, Usher, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Christina Aguilera all have in common, Wads?

Max Martin.

How about Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Keisha, Shakira and Pitbull?

Luke Gottwald.

You should watch that video I linked. 

Queshank

IP Logged

BowHunter
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2019 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Beyonce... there's 'D'...

Queshank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:13am:
FC,

I've been thinking about how I can respond conversationally without coming across as a total dick.

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2019 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:51pm:
I think some modern music is some of the best I've ever heard.  Jack White is fantastic.  The Tedeschi Trucks band is awesome.  Sam and Ruby are a duo that are always on a playlist in our house.  The Black Keys.  Jack Johnson.  Ingrid Michaelson.  The first time I heard Alabama Shakes I ran out and bought all their albums. 

Beyonce just happens to be a mediocre talent that propelled herself to superstardom the same way Britney Spears did.  Oiling her body and pretending to masturbate on television.  Beyonce just happens to be a black woman that does everything she can to pass herself off as white.  She's got white appeal because she dies her hair blond and surrounds herself with darker skinned bandmates (check out pictures of Destiny's Child sometime) and can still claim she's a black artist.  So she's able to capitalize on both aspects and leverage her position like her dad showed her to do.  Britney wasn't able to.

I might be 48.  But that doesn't change the fact that empirical studies have been done to evaluate modern pop music and found it deteriorating in complexity, variety and style.  Science is science, Wads.

What do Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, Celine' Dion, Avril Lavigne, Usher, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Christina Aguilera all have in common, Wads?

Max Martin.

How about Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Keisha, Shakira and Pitbull?

Luke Gottwald.

You should watch that video I linked. 

Queshank

Beyoncé is this generation's Madonna.  They love her.  She sells out concerts.  Love her or hate her.  She sells.  Elvis Presley gyrated on stage and was criticized for that.   Madonna was worse.  She is not my favorite performer, but she does what she does and I really don't think it is a big deal. 

I think your reference to her race is way out of line though.  Is dying your hair blond only allowed for white women?  She has a look and her fans love it.  Personally, I have seen her interviews and she appears to be a nice private person.  The way people make money is their business.  I really don't care.

No blacks will buy that cap.  Look at the bill! It's all curved like normal people wear. The bill of the hat is supposed to be flat with a shiny goofy looking sticker in the middle of it.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2019 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Wadsworth wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
Beyoncé is this generation's Madonna.  They love her.  She sells out concerts.  Love her or hate her.  She sells.  Elvis Presley gyrated on stage and was criticized for that.   Madonna was worse.  She is not my favorite performer, but she does what she does and I really don't think it is a big deal. 

I agree with you that Beyonce is this generation's Madonna.  Is Madonna an icon of "white" culture?

I don't mind Beyonce.  I think she's gorgeous.  I don't care for her music or her stage personae.  But that's fine.  I don't have to like all the music that's on the radio.

My only objection is to the idea that she's an icon of black culture.  I think it's an insult to black culture.

Quote:
I think your reference to her race is way out of line though.  Is dying your hair blond only allowed for white women?  She has a look and her fans love it.  Personally, I have seen her interviews and she appears to be a nice private person.  The way people make money is their business.  I really don't care.

I don't care either.  But let's not pretend it wasn't a deliberate marketing choice.  Blacks only make up 11% of the population in this country.  You don't become a superstar by only appealing to minority ethnic groups.

But you can become highly influential and ...wait for it ... a cultural icon.

Queshank

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 8:24pm:
I agree with you that Beyonce is this generation's Madonna.  Is Madonna an icon of "white" culture?

I don't mind Beyonce.  I think she's gorgeous.  I don't care for her music or her stage personae.  But that's fine.  I don't have to like all the music that's on the radio.

My only objection is to the idea that she's an icon of black culture.  I think it's an insult to black culture.

I don't care either.  But let's not pretend it wasn't a deliberate marketing choice.  Blacks only make up 11% of the population in this country.  You don't become a superstar by only appealing to minority ethnic groups.

But you can become highly influential and ...wait for it ... a cultural icon.

Queshank

Obviously she is not an icon for just black culture.  I would say Madonna was not just an icon for white culture.  I don't understand why you are making a race thing out of this.  Was Michael Jackson an icon for black culture?  I don't understand why this black white thing is important to you.

IP Logged

Return of the Clyde
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

BamaBeau is dead.

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
*&*

1) This is the Que I remember.

2) The music industry usually ruins the music.
The hype surrounding even the better talents
often drives me away from and not toward them.
The hype surrounding Beyonce is a good example.
She is not supremely anything other than attractive.
And Jay Z and Kanye West are even worse because
they are not even attractive. They are mediocre.

3) I'll leave you with this.

*&*

Long live rcclydeinside.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › Beyonce - Coachella

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor