Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › What's the best concert you've been to?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's the best concert you've been to? (Read 245 times)
Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

What's the best concert you've been to?
May 3rd, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I've been blessed to see a lot of concerts in my lifetime, from the Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Elton John to AC/DC, Carole King and Lea Salonga. But my favorite concert was when the Eagles came to Honolulu in 2005. Glenn Frey was still alive then, and the band also included Joe Walsh, Timothy Schmidt and Don Henley. It was almost a three-hour concert, and they played all their hits - one after another! They were so good musically and vocally. They rocked hard and also played powerful ballads. It was the only concert I've been to that, right after, I said, "I want to go again tomorrow night." (But we didn't because prices were super expensive.)

The fact that the venue was the Blaisdell Arena helped. Although the arena is old, it was still intimate enough and carried sound well. (By contrast, I saw the Eagles a few years earlier at cavernous Aloha Stadium and the experience wasn't as good.)

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: What's the best concert you've been to?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I saw the Eagles on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour as well.  It was a great concert.  While I can't give them the nod for the best I've seen, I can definitely see it as a contender.

The best was the Eric Clapton concert on his "Pilgrim" tour.  It was on March 30th of 1998.  Me and a guitar player friend went and while I've often called concerts religious experiences ... this was the first one where I literally saw God. 

There's others that rate pretty high for various reasons.  Seeing KISS on their "Farewell" tour (the first one) with the original lineup was some nostalgic shit.  First album I ever bought with my allowance money was the Kiss Destroyer album.  That ranked pretty high up there.  My first Metallica concert was awesome.  One of James Hetfield's picks flew off the stage and stuck to my sweaty arm hehe.  I had it in a case where I kept concert trophies for awhile.  The last Metallica concert I saw was great for a moment I remember as well ... after the breakdown in "Enter Sandman" they come back in and James Hetfield gets all primed and digs into the power chord ... and I see him laugh and grin at Lars Ulrich and turn his volume knob back up when nothing comes out.  That was pretty great.

When I saw ZZ Top supported by Los Lobos it spun my life in a new direction and opened up a whole new world of Los Lobos' music for me.  Seeing Pearl Jam at the First Avenue when their board went down and Eddie Vedder led the crowd in a singalong while they tried to get the PA back up was a hell of an experience.

But that Clapton concert man.  That stood out head and shoulders above the crowd. My buddy who has been to several said he had never seen him in such fine form.  Clapton himself said it was the best concert he'd ever played.  (It was his birthday.)  He could have done anything he wanted with that crowd.  We were so into it.

I remember as we left being practically in tears and saying something about how I could not believe how there wasn't a single dropped note or missed lick.  My buddy said "Funny how those living legends are."  It's a moment that's blazed forever in my mind.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Well now I'm waxing nostalgic.  The Faith No More/ Metallica / Guns n Roses concert in the MetroDome was up there too.  But it stands out for how incredible Metallica was.  I dragged the drummer from our band with me.  He came to see Guns N Roses and left as a huge Metallica fan.  Big mistake for Guns n Roses to set up a tour to follow Metallica.  BIG mistake.  I think it destroyed them as a band.  So that's gotta stand out a bit too.  James Hetfield was still recovering from his burns from standing in a firepot, so he had his roadie playing his guitar part.  But 80,000 people singing my favorite band's music was like being in an alternate dimension.  James Hetfield standing back from the mic to listen to us all sing with a huge grin on his face is another frozen in my mind moment.  I spent the entire 80s being one of the only people I knew who idolized Metallica.  (I actually hated the "black" album on release... probably because it made them popular and they weren't MINE anymore.  I had to see the songs performed with the rest of their library to appreciate it as Metallica music.)

Dammit Jasmine.  Now you're making me think.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Moderator
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2019 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I would love to see Eric Clapton. I like his style of playing the guitar. It's more bluesy than angry rock, and his songs are so good. Someday...

We saw ZZ Top the last time we were in Vegas. It was pretty good. But don't you think that all their songs kinda sound the same?

Do you ever go to more mellow concerts? I've seen Carole King, Lea Salonga, Natalie Cole, James Taylor, Barry Manilow and a few others. The Lea Salonga show in particular was awesome, as her voice is so special.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 5:54pm:
I would love to see Eric Clapton. I like his style of playing the guitar. It's more bluesy than angry rock, and his songs are so good. Someday...

We saw ZZ Top the last time we were in Vegas. It was pretty good. But don't you think that all their songs kinda sound the same?

Maybe.  But when the sound is so good, who cares? Smiley  I would say there's a marked difference between "Jesus Just Left Chicago" and "Legs."  But Billie Gibbons has a distinctive guitar tone and a distinctive voice.  So it's inevitable it has a certain similar tonal quality.  I just really like that tonal quality. 

But it really was Los Lobos that captivated me at that concert.  Their bass player was just so cool and in the pocket.  I was standing at the rail right in front of him and I probably made him uncomfortable with how much I was locked in watching him.  The musicianship of that band is just sublime.  And speaking of Clapton, they did a cover of Cream's "Crossroads" and I swear they nailed the famous live version note for note. 

Quote:
Do you ever go to more mellow concerts? I've seen Carole King, Lea Salonga, Natalie Cole, James Taylor, Barry Manilow and a few others. The Lea Salonga show in particular was awesome, as her voice is so special.

I honestly can't remember.  When I was a kid I went to see Jerry Reed with my dad when he came to town.   Would you call him mellow?  My dad and I also went to see Michael Martin Murphey when he was in town.  "Wildfire" is a pretty mellow tune.  I thought the first half of that Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" tour was pretty darn mellow.  It was after the intermission when they really broke loose and played a high energy set.

I grew up in an area where I had to travel hundreds of miles to go to a concert.  Usually a 6 hour drive to Minneapolis.  So it was usually a bunch of us carpooling.  There was usually alcohol involved and a lot of hellraising.

I would go see any of those acts you just mentioned in a heartbeat.  And if I can ever get the hell out of this town again I might be able to add more concerts to my experiences.

Queshank

IP Logged

Bert #49
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

I can't play the cello

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2019 at 12:21am
Print Post  
ZZ Top's Sound in the 80's became a bit formulaic. They rode the MTV over produced wave of that era. Their earlier work is incredible blues rock.

I have not done many concerts. Not my thing. My favorite would be the Beastie Boys at the Roseland Ballroom, NYC somewhere around the early 90's.

IP Logged

Clyde Redux
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

BamaBeau is dead.

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2019 at 12:10am
Print Post  

*&*

Albert King.

Miles Davis.

Amadou et Mariam.

Unless I can count the time we saw George Carlin.

*&*

Long live rcclydeinside.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HereEntertainment Board › What's the best concert you've been to?

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog