Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › NRA says it faces financial crisis, claims it might be 'unable to exist' in future: l
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NRA says it faces financial crisis, claims it might be 'unable to exist' in future: l (Read 948 times)
Abe
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: NRA says it faces financial crisis, claims it might be 'unable to exist' in future: l
Reply #50 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 10:36am:
So your argument is that since America has lower suicide rates than Syria, guns aren't a problem.

That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

If a person commits suicide...who had the problem...the gun or the victim? BTW, who gets retested for DLs? I'm driving 50 years, never retested in the nanny state of NJ.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Re: NRA says it faces financial crisis, claims it might be 'unable to exist' in future: l
Reply #51 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:43am
Print Post  
some facts and data for freon...

Japan's experience also indicates that gun control has almost no effect on a nation's suicide rate. While the Japanese gun suicide rate is one-fiftieth of America's, the overall
suicide rate is twice as high as America's.

American gun controllers argue that in America, more males die from suicide attempts because males are more likely to choose a gun as a suicide weapon. Yet in Japan, males are still twice
as likely to die in a suicide attempt as are females.

Japan suffers from many double or multiple suicides, called shinju. Suicidal parents often kill their children, at the rate of one per day, in oyako-shinju. In fact, 17% of all Japanese homicide victims are children murdered by suicidal parents. Thus, Japan's tight family structure, which keeps the crime rate low, is not an unalloyed blessing.

Even America's leading gun control scholar, Stanford's Franklin Zimring concedes: "Cultural factors appear to affect the suicide rates far more than the availability and use of firearms. Thus suicide rates would not seem to be readily affected by making firearms less available."

Zimring's observation fits with the evidence in America. All ethnic groups have equal access to firearms, but Jews are less likely to use guns as their suicide method, while Blacks and Southerners are more likely to use guns. Although American Blacks are more likely to use guns in suicide, the black suicide rate is below the American average.

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #52 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Abe wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 10:55am:
If a person commits suicide...who had the problem...the gun or the victim? BTW, who gets retested for DLs? I'm driving 50 years, never retested in the nanny state of NJ.

There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of articles and studies that link the availability of guns (an 'easy' form of killing one's self) with suicide.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/supplementary/firearm-availabi...

You are just wrong if you think that guns are not a prime facilitator of suicide. If you HAD to kill yourself with say, a knife, less would do it. Not saying they wouldn't WANT to, just that they'd be too chicken at the more, 'messy', methods.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #53 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:45am:
There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of articles and studies that link the availability of guns (an 'easy' form of killing one's self) with suicide.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/supplementary/firearm-availabi...

You are just wrong if you think that guns are not a prime facilitator of suicide. If you HAD to kill yourself with say, a knife, less would do it. Not saying they wouldn't WANT to, just that they'd be too chicken at the more, 'messy', methods.

freon freon freon  - this is not a study - it states openly its a case for linking the two from a theoretical and logical argument perspective...

you need to do cross study analysis, as my article about japan points out...

and using your logic - its obvious sleeping pills would be far less "violent" than shooting oneself..

the significantly higher suicide rates in other countries with virtually no gun ownership shows that suicide is a decision that comes first, then method comes second...the data is clear that in places with virtually no firearms, often the suicide rate is much much higher - japan as an example...

IP Logged

Wally Wants A Wall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #54 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:04pm
Print Post  

maybe we ought to outlaw automobiles, since so many fatal 'accidents' involving one lone driver, although they may be classified as accidents, may actually be suicides. The classic example is someone gets shit faced drunk and runs into a tree!

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

― Socrates

img]https://i.imgur.com/prBnexU.jpg[/img]
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Abe
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #55 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  

So? Just walk into traffic. Go grab a cop's gun. Jump off a bridge. If one is determined to kill oneself there are many more ways than a gun to do it.

Quote:

Glad you brought it up about ways to do it. I'll offer you a fast, pain-free way to do it.

Run a hose from your car exhaust to your rear window. Close window. Start vehicle. Be sure garage door is closed.  Get liquored-up. You're done, post haste.

By the way did I say anything about prime facilitation?  I believe not.

Me, I would never use a gun. I'd be sure whatever I chose, the job gets done. No assurances with a gun.

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2019 at 5:12pm by Abe »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › NRA says it faces financial crisis, claims it might be 'unable to exist' in future: l

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog