Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Myers-Briggs - Conservatives vs Liberals
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Myers-Briggs - Conservatives vs Liberals (Read 574 times)
Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Myers-Briggs - Conservatives vs Liberals
Reply #20 - May 15th, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I haven't taken this in years.  So I took a free online one just now out of curiousity and it is the same as it was years ago.

INFP.

Reading the "results" it's about like other generic tests where you decide how much weight you want to give each answer.  On some things it's creepily accurate.  I can giggle like a 14 year old and say "That is SO me! lolzers!"  A lot of things if I'm being honest. 

But in some spots it's so far out of my personality when I try to be objective that I really don't know how much I trust the kind of test that sets you up to judge yourself.  I find we're always the worst judges of ourselves and our traits.  How we define ourselves isn't as important or impactful as how other people define us anyway.

I could argue some of those things that are far out of my personality are actually my personality, but I know my close friends and my wife would laugh out loud at the idea.  And I bet everyone on the boards would REALLY laugh considering the combative stance I always take on the boards.   

For example : I think I'm overly affectionate to my kids and my wife.  I sometimes feel like I'm walking the line of corny when I'm trying to be earnest and sincere.  So I answered I'm very affectionate.  But I come from a family that has never once said "I love you" to each other.  It's just not something we ever said, even as little kids.  Not that we were a loveless family.  Far from it.  More that it wasn't something we felt needed to be said.  I've hugged my mom probably 4 times in my life.  I can only remember two times clearly. Once when her mom died.  Once when my dad died. I'm just guessing there were 2 times when I was a kid.  Hugs are creepy and uncomfortable.  I've *never* hugged my dad.  That much I know.  I especially hate strangers who greet with a hug.  Instant way to alienate me from your life.  I will go out of my way to avoid that person in the future.

And I think I went overboard trying to give that to my kids.  Making sure they knew I loved them.  Giving them hugs and attention.  But I can only view "overboard" from the framework of my own existence.  To a person with a close and affectionate family, it's very likely I seem like a wax figurine in comparison.  Now that my kids are grown and gone I think about that a lot.

These type of tests seem like you're answering about what you think your ideal person WOULD be ... and then reading yourself into the results rather than the other way around.

Whether I've changed or not since the last time I took this test is irrelevant.  Whether my *idea* of me has changed or not since the last time I took this test seems more important. 

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

"Throw The Jew Down The
Well" - Borat

Reply #21 - May 15th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Zzzzz

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #22 - May 15th, 2019 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 2:43pm:
Zzzzz

Yes!

I had you in mind when I wrote that out, Ulyssese.  I knew how much you'd love it.

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #23 - May 15th, 2019 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 2:34pm:
I haven't taken this in years.  So I took a free online one just now out of curiousity and it is the same as it was years ago.

INFP.

Reading the "results" it's about like other generic tests where you decide how much weight you want to give each answer.  On some things it's creepily accurate.  I can giggle like a 14 year old and say "That is SO me! lolzers!"  A lot of things if I'm being honest. 

But in some spots it's so far out of my personality when I try to be objective that I really don't know how much I trust the kind of test that sets you up to judge yourself.  I find we're always the worst judges of ourselves and our traits.  How we define ourselves isn't as important or impactful as how other people define us anyway.

I could argue some of those things that are far out of my personality are actually my personality, but I know my close friends and my wife would laugh out loud at the idea.  And I bet everyone on the boards would REALLY laugh considering the combative stance I always take on the boards.   

For example : I think I'm overly affectionate to my kids and my wife.  I sometimes feel like I'm walking the line of corny when I'm trying to be earnest and sincere.  So I answered I'm very affectionate.  But I come from a family that has never once said "I love you" to each other.  It's just not something we ever said, even as little kids.  Not that we were a loveless family.  Far from it.  More that it wasn't something we felt needed to be said.  I've hugged my mom probably 4 times in my life.  I can only remember two times clearly. Once when her mom died.  Once when my dad died. I'm just guessing there were 2 times when I was a kid.  Hugs are creepy and uncomfortable.  I've *never* hugged my dad.  That much I know.  I especially hate strangers who greet with a hug.  Instant way to alienate me from your life.  I will go out of my way to avoid that person in the future.

And I think I went overboard trying to give that to my kids.  Making sure they knew I loved them.  Giving them hugs and attention.  But I can only view "overboard" from the framework of my own existence.  To a person with a close and affectionate family, it's very likely I seem like a wax figurine in comparison.  Now that my kids are grown and gone I think about that a lot.

These type of tests seem like you're answering about what you think your ideal person WOULD be ... and then reading yourself into the results rather than the other way around.

Whether I've changed or not since the last time I took this test is irrelevant.  Whether my *idea* of me has changed or not since the last time I took this test seems more important. 

Queshank

Thanks, Q, for playing, especially since you actually took the test again.

I think that as one ages, the potential ability to behave outside one's comfort zone increases. Given time, those areas that were uncomfortable, begin to become part of who you are. Yet at our core, those initial comfort zones still apply.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #24 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 2:58pm:

I think that as one ages, the potential ability to behave outside one's comfort zone increases. Given time, those areas that were uncomfortable, begin to become part of who you are. Yet at our core, those initial comfort zones still apply.

I think that's an interesting point.

I'd add that the test is likely, in my opinion, to (if anything) become more valuable and accurate as one ages.

To Q's point, the test taken early in life might indicate what you wish to be or at least influenced by what you wish to become.

But as one ages, generally there is an increase in self-awareness (or at least there should be), to the point I think one is willing to be more vulnerable and express through the questions how you really are, both from self observation and from more years of feedback from others (feedback which, in turn, is more readily accepted).

Buddy_Love wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
I'm fine where I am. I love America. However, you don't like America, so it's you that should leave.

Ulysses wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
I dare you to say that to Cuomo's face.

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

then doing it anyway

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 3:15pm:
I think that's an interesting point.

I'd add that the test is likely, in my opinion, to (if anything) become more valuable and accurate as one ages.

To Q's point, the test taken early in life might indicate what you wish to be or at least influenced by what you wish to become.

But as one ages, generally there is an increase in self-awareness (or at least there should be), to the point I think one is willing to be more vulnerable and express through the questions how you really are, both from self observation and from more years of feedback from others (feedback which, in turn, is more readily accepted).

The reason I brought this topic up is that I am encouraging and developing one of my direct reports to become a manager, and one of the courses he's taken had him do a Myers-Briggs. Turns out he's the rarest of all types, an INFJ, which is really fascinating to work with.

For fun, I took the test again, just to see if I show up as different in the decade or so since I last took it, and sure enough, exact same. So also for fun, had my 11 year old take it, and after three tries, three different results. I think that supports the bias perspective you were referring to. I think the answers of someone still trying to figure out who they are reflect the desired personality, rather than brutal honesty with one's self to see reality.

This is why I said the POTENTIAL to change with age.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 2:58pm:

You seem to be kind of nailing what I was getting at with the affection bit.

I struggled a lot with how to answer the question about being an affectionate person.  I think I'm a very affectionate person.  But objectively speaking ... I can see why a lot of people would think otherwise. 

What does an objective analysis of each of these questions even look like?

And to Rabbit's point ... I know a disturbing number of people who have distorted and somewhat delusional impressions of their own personality.  Both my older and my younger sister, for example.  Whose opinion carries more weight in defining that person?  That person?  Or the people around that person? 

Maybe Hitler thought he was a super nice guy.  Who are we to judge?

Queshank

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF House Leader
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 1:06pm:
If it makes you feel better, here is a negative view of each personality type.

https://www.psychologyjunkie.com/2017/07/31/evil-versions-every-myers-briggs-per...

Hitler was likely an INFJ, but so was Nelson Mandela and Oprah. Being a particular personality type does not define your destiny, just gives you insight into how you interact with others.

Okay.  In the interests of objectivity.

Blending THAT read with the flowers and rainbows up your butt conclusions of the free test I took is far more accurate and insightful.

Queshank

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

then doing it anyway

Reply #28 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 3:35pm:
Okay.  In the interests of objectivity.

Blending THAT read with the flowers and rainbows up your butt conclusions of the free test I took is far more accurate and insightful.

Queshank

Yeah, I definitely see myself in there as well.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #29 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
ENFP-T

Whatever that means...?

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Myers-Briggs - Conservatives vs Liberals

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog