Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is your life internally or externally controlled...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is your life internally or externally controlled... (Read 152 times)
Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Re: Is your life internally or externally controlled...
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:56pm:
when I read through peoples posts, its pretty clear to see where they fall on the spectrum.....

LOL.. Pompous windbag..   Grin  You're the poster child for Dunning–Kruger . .

I believe all Conservatives exhibit such illusory superiority but you've set a pretty high bar.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Fiddler wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:05pm:
LOL.. Pompous windbag..   Grin  You're the poster child for Dunning–Kruger . .

I believe all Conservatives exhibit such illusory superiority but you've set a pretty high bar.

That's not even close...you clearly don't understand what dunning kruger states...it assumes an attribute is desired...

many will readily admit its external forces that have the major influence of where they are...they don't hide it...they don't see it as bad, simply the way life is...you are a piece of pollen getting pushed around..

I'm simply suggesting that those who have such a strong desire to have more and more gov't involvement to "right" all the wrongs in society and their lives probably, (falsely) believe gov't can and will somehow help them to a better place....anything that upsets them, gov't can fix

I believe gov't has a place in society, but have no notion that they will "make" my life better beyond certain necessary things...roads, infrastructure, nat'l security etc.....others seem to think gov't is a cure all for everything...

if you think that's an inaccurate view, or pompous....I think that tells a great deal about you.

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
fiddler, this may help....I wanted to keep in lay terms and see what people felt...

but since you are pressing the issue, some studies, facts and data may help you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locus_of_control

pay particular attn to this section:

Political ideology[edit]

Locus of control has been linked to political ideology. In the 1972 U.S. Presidential election, research of college students found that those with an internal locus of control were substantially more likely to register as a Republican, while those with an external locus of control were substantially more likely to register as a Democrat.[40] A 2011 study surveying students at Cameron University in Oklahoma found similar results,[41] although these studies were limited in scope. Consistent with these findings, Kaye Sweetser (2014) found that Republicans significantly displayed greater internal locus of control than Democrats and Independents. [42]

Those with an internal locus of control are more likely to be of higher socioeconomic status, and are more likely to be politically involved (e.g., following political news, joining a political organization)[43] Those with an internal locus of control are also more likely to vote.[44][45]

IP Logged

Frank1
LNF House Leader

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:56pm:
In general I'd say i'm the former...I I don't like something I change it...Most of where I am today, good and bad, is a function of choices I've made...

There are clearly things outside our control - health often - just saw a story of parents with a downs syndrome kid and then got leukemia and passed away...(the comedian)...and he now has MS...BUT he is very positive and trying to help others go thru very difficult times...

I suppose I wrote this as when I read through peoples posts, its pretty clear to see where they fall on the spectrum.....

Like I said, some things are in our control, some are not. In material terms, for instance, all of us were lucky to be born in the first world.

The 17th Century ~ The halfway point between the Middle Ages and Modernity

IP Logged

atreyu
LNF Representative

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:42am:
As I've read thru these threads over time, it seems there are two broad types of people here...

those who feel in control of their destiny and believe their lives are mostly a function of decisions they have made in their lives, for themselves...lets say that they would say 90% of where they are in the lives - health, happiness, career etc...is a result of internal forces, or decisions they were in control of and made that led them to where they are now...these people believe others are also in control and responsible for where they are in life

then there are those that seem to believe that the external forces, forces they have no control over, influence where they are in life to a much greater degree...so maybe they would say 70% is due to their life choices and 30% is due to factors they have no control over...these people believe others are also not in control are victims of where they are...

The imagery is the person who exercises and eats rights and is healthy and takes control and responsibility, vs the couch dweller eating junk food and whining incessantly about genetics that cause their weight issue...

I don't believe there is either.  I believe we have no control and what happens will happen, what happens happened. 

Perhaps you could classify that as 100% external, but that wouldn't technically accurate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Is your life internally or externally controlled...

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules