Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that's for $380 in US
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that's for $380 in US (Read 630 times)
forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Re: Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that's for $380 in US
Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:45am
Print Post  
crepe05 wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:04am:
Nope, not even close.  I'm just saying that meds are important enough to me that I want to make certain I'm getting the insulin that is high quality and remains the same from one production to another.  Don't want a good batch one month and a notso good batch the next one.

People aren't going to Canada for insulin to shave a few bucks.  They are responding to dramatic price increases in the US.  Costs for producing insulin have not gone up, and Canadian quality control has not gone down.  The issue here is that *something is distorting the market*.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Re: Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that's for $380 in US
Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:59am:
How interesting this outrage is FINALLY showing up.  This has been ongoing since the ACA was implemented, not something Trump caused.  This was the result of Obama's beloved ACA bill was passed.  I know because close friends of ours told us their delima years ago of not being able to afford their medicine.

This long predates the ACA.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #22 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 5:15pm:
Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that runs for $380 in the US

Nearly a dozen people living with diabetes recently boarded a bus to travel from Minnesota to Canada to purchase affordable insulin.

According to a local Fox station, those who made the hours-long trip to London, Ontario, last week said they have had to choose between purchasing insulin or paying their bills.

“Here in the United States, people are having to choose between, ‘Do I pay my rent or do I buy my insulin?’” Deb Souther, one of the people who made the journey, told the station in an interview released on Monday.

During the interview, Souther, who has diabetes, presented reporters with a pair of insulin vials she is required to take. “This one was purchased in Canada for $34 and this one in the United States for $380.”

Souther said she purchased a three-month supply of the drug while she was in Canada.

“It’s unbelievable that we can just go across the border and get the insulin for this price,” she added. “Three months’ supply and save thousands and thousands of dollars.”

FULL:
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/452269-group-travels-from-minn...

Meh.

I take two types of insulin, and various other medication, every day for the last 20 years and I don't know or care what it costs.

I pay my taxes, I get healthcare. In fact if I was unemployed or desperately low waged I would still get first class healthcare.

Our system is better than yours.

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Vote Him Out!

Reply #23 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
Meh.

I take two types of insulin, and various other medication, every day for the last 20 years and I don't know or care what it costs.

I pay my taxes, I get healthcare. In fact if I was unemployed or desperately low waged I would still get first class healthcare.

I have also been taking two types of insulin for the past 20 or so years. When I was on employer group health insurance, the costs of my co-pays, while high, were manageable. However I am projecting that under Medicare Part B/D, I will no longer be able to afford one or both of these types of insulin, due to their very high cost in the USA as well as the Part D donut hole and 25% co-insurance. I probably will have to switch to an older, less effective type of insulin.

I also had to do this around 2910/11, pre-ACA, when I worked for an employer with one of those vaunted "association" health plans. It was so vaunted it provided zero coverage for prescription medicines. I wound up buying the cheaper generic insulin at Walmart out of pocket.

It sucks.

"Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia" - Eric Trump, 2014

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #24 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Meh.

Gross median family income and per capita income in the US is about 30% higher in the US than in the UK.

Our system is better than yours. Fix it.

Tell me everything about your new t-shirt. Give me all of the details.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #25 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Maybe if the state just gave everybody food, then maybe we'd be poorer, but hey, everybody would have food. You neanderthals.

Tell me everything about your new t-shirt. Give me all of the details.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #26 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Meh.

Yes.. it is.  And it impacts much more than the cost of insulin  ..

One plausible explanation for the consistently higher shares of self-employment and small-business employment in the rest of the world’s rich economies is that all have some form of universal access to health care. 

The  high  cost  to  self-employed  workers  and  small  businesses  of  the  private, employer-based health care system in place in the United States may act as a significant deterrent to small start-up companies, an experience not shared by entrepreneurs in countries with universal access to health care.

We use the most recently available, internationally comparable data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) to measure the share of employment in small businesses in 22 rich democracies. The OECD data demonstrate that:

• The United States has the second lowest share of self-employed workers (7.2 percent) – only Luxembourg has a lower share (6.1 percent). France (9.0 percent), Sweden (10.6 percent), Germany (12.0 percent) the United Kingdom (13.8 percent), Italy (26.4 percent) and 14 other rich countries all have higher proportions of self-employment.

• The  United  States  has  among  the  lowest  shares  of  employment  in  small  businesses  in manufacturing. Only 11.1 percent of the U.S. manufacturing workforce is in enterprises with fewer  than  20  employees.  Eighteen  other  rich  countries  have  a  higher  share  of manufacturing employment in enterprises of this size, including Germany (13.0 percent), Sweden (14.4 percent), France (18.0 percent), the United Kingdom (18.1 percent), and Italy (30.9 percent). Only Ireland (9.6 percent) and Luxembourg (8.5 percent) have a lower share of manufacturing employment in enterprises with fewer than 20 employees. (Raising the cutoff for a small business to fewer than 500 employees does not significantly alter the relative position of the United States.)

• U.S.  small  businesses  have  a  much  lower  share  of  employment  than  the  comparison economies do in the two high-tech fields for which the OECD publishes data: computer-related services and research and development.

Link

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:56am:
This long predates the ACA.
No, they did not see the price hike till after ACA kick in.  It became very unaffordable to them.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
It is interesting how these costs, as well as others are dismissed as a result of the ACA bill.  I myself have seen first hand a dramatic spike in my costs as well as my deductibles and my son's inability to find affordable insurance after the passage.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:29am:
Americans are paying a high price for insulin, so other countries can free-ride on their backs?  No.  Insulin prices tripled from 2002 to 2013.  Insulin was discovered early in the 1900s, and modern synthesis was brought to market in the 80s.  It's an old drug.  Prices are going up because of cartelization in the supply chain.  And Americans are paying because the drug companies own our representatives, and prevent them from bargaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_(medication)#Economics

Sounds like garbage representation.  Ulysses pointed it out with regard to Trump, but it is nearly universal among our "representation".

...I don't know or care what it costs.

You just pointed out one of the key problems with government spending that Friedman has described.

When you are spending someone else's money you have no incentive to care what the cost of anything is.

Fiddler wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:35pm:
Yes.. it is.  And it impacts much more than the cost of insulin  ..

One plausible explanation for the consistently higher shares of self-employment and small-business employment in the rest of the world’s rich economies is that all have some form of universal access to health care. 

The  high  cost  to  self-employed  workers  and  small  businesses  of  the  private, employer-based health care system in place in the United States may act as a significant deterrent to small start-up companies, an experience not shared by entrepreneurs in countries with universal access to health care.

We use the most recently available, internationally comparable data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) to measure the share of employment in small businesses in 22 rich democracies. The OECD data demonstrate that:

• The United States has the second lowest share of self-employed workers (7.2 percent) – only Luxembourg has a lower share (6.1 percent). France (9.0 percent), Sweden (10.6 percent), Germany (12.0 percent) the United Kingdom (13.8 percent), Italy (26.4 percent) and 14 other rich countries all have higher proportions of self-employment.

• The  United  States  has  among  the  lowest  shares  of  employment  in  small  businesses  in manufacturing. Only 11.1 percent of the U.S. manufacturing workforce is in enterprises with fewer  than  20  employees.  Eighteen  other  rich  countries  have  a  higher  share  of manufacturing employment in enterprises of this size, including Germany (13.0 percent), Sweden (14.4 percent), France (18.0 percent), the United Kingdom (18.1 percent), and Italy (30.9 percent). Only Ireland (9.6 percent) and Luxembourg (8.5 percent) have a lower share of manufacturing employment in enterprises with fewer than 20 employees. (Raising the cutoff for a small business to fewer than 500 employees does not significantly alter the relative position of the United States.)

• U.S.  small  businesses  have  a  much  lower  share  of  employment  than  the  comparison economies do in the two high-tech fields for which the OECD publishes data: computer-related services and research and development.

Link

Eh...I don't think a subsidy for business owners is a very effective argument for government provided health insurance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that's for $380 in US

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog
Political Columnists
Political Humor
A1 News Page
David Limbaugh
Political Frog
Conservatives Directory
President Trump Approval Poll
Presidential Party Election Poll News forum posting, privacy policy and member rules