Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Apollo 11
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Apollo 11 (Read 410 times)
Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Re: Apollo 11
Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Mojo-Jojo wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 5:27pm:
A user at one of the facilities I cover had a bunch of old 8mm film converted to digital format that her dad had from the Apollo project. They're putting on a presentation at the local museum Saturday and I've been assisting with the AV/IT side of the program. Pretty freakin' cool watching that old footage. Smiley

I was a one year old babe in arms when the real event occurred.

I'm still blown away by the math these peeps were able to do. And get it right.   

Oh, I remember when Sputnik went up, and the general feeling of panic in America about it. We came back with our own satellite, but the Soviets had a head start on us.

I also remember the Mercury and Gemini missions, and finally the Apollo series. I had just got  out of high school and was doing "volunteer" (read, slave) work at a biological research station in the mountains. It was a great experience, but I necessarily missed most of the hoopla about the moon landing. At the end of the summer I moved out of home to the dorms in college about 100 miles away. It was the start of another adventure. The moon missions were still cool but tended to fade away against the backdrop of other events. I remember a lot of criticism about the moon missions because of the big cost... for a bunch of rocks, people said. But in time we realized the benefits from the miniaturization of electronic components that the project required, leading to the first integrated circuits etc. And that famous photo of "earth rise" taken on Apollo 8 became the poster for the growing environmental movement. Sure, there was a lot of silly stuff, but it was OUR stuff Wink.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Re: Apollo 11
Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Years later I heard about a protest song of the late 60's/early 70's:

"Whitey's on the moon, but my sister Nell got bit by a rat"...

Point made.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Apollo 11

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog