Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy (Read 562 times)
Vypr
LNF House Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Re: ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:02pm:
I agree with you on both counts. What's really appalling to me is that there are TV evangelists - specifically, Jim Bakker - who are openly defending everything Trump does. My suspicion is that they are doing this purely for financial gain by catering to Christians who blindly support Trump.

Look at Jerry Falwell Jr. He is a slavish Trump loyalist.

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Vypr wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:24pm:
Look at Jerry Falwell Jr. He is a slavish Trump loyalist.

I've never seen him, but I have no doubt you are correct.

I will point out that there are Christians like me who voted for Trump and who pray for him to do better. Speaking just for myself, I support Trump because he has done a lot of things I agree with - things that Hillary never would have done. But I recognize that he has some real shortcomings as a leader, and I don't shy away from speaking on them.

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 5:47pm:
Well, I have Christian brothers and sisters on both sides of the political spectrum.  It is a fallacy that only conservatives are Christians in the real world.

Yes, that's why I specified the "Christian Right" in my earlier post. That's who I'm talking about. I likewise have liberal and non-political Christian friends.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 5:51pm:
Never heard he was a Christian, heard his claims about his bibles which I thought was humorous.  No one is going to hell or is a bad Christian despite who they vote for.  If you can not resolve the fact that you live in a world of sin then no one qualifies as President. 

I do not need the President to be perfect or a Christian, but Trump cynically uses the trappings of Christianity to get the vote of the Christian Right while simultaneously going out of his way to be unchristian in public. That is a different kind of thing.

It's one thing to give a general nod to the Christian culture by attending church, public prayers and acceding to a general show of public piety, even when one doesn't actually believe. I'm not crazy about it, to be honest, but I get it. It's part of the culture and it's expected.

But he takes this to extremes. It's the extreme I find unacceptable because, in his case, he's sullying the name of Christian. Non-Christians see him and his Bible-waving and think "if that's what it means to be a Christian, I want no part of it." And can you blame them?

Quote:
God has used good and bad leaders to advance his cause.  The Bible is loaded with examples.  I make my choice based on what is best for our nation and sometimes, as we become more and more godless, the least godless is our only choice.

As did I. I found neither of the top two to be acceptable, so I voted for another.

However, I do not fault Christians for voting for Trump. I will say that again. I do not fault Christians for voting for Trump. I voted third party, but that doesn't make me a better person and, to be honest, I had it easier because there was absolutely no doubt which way the vote was going in my State. So, I had a freedom that people in battleground States do not have to cast a vote knowing it would affect the popular vote, but not the Electoral College. 

I fault those Christians who excuse in Trump what they have criticized and would criticize in a Democrat. In addition, I criticize those that gleefully celebrate him and his name. He might be a man to be tolerated as the lesser of two evils, but he is not a man to be celebrated.

That is where my problem is Seawolf. If you don't do that, then good. I'm glad, but many do and they're damaging the ability of the church to fulfill her mission.

Quote:
  After all, where is your kingdom Maestro? 

Not on earth, which is why I for one do not turn to political figures to help bring about God's kingdom. Not all Christians speak that way though.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #34 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
True.  Though the world may revolve around politics, ours is around God.  In fact, our emphasis should be reaching the lost.  That is the reason we are still here, every thing else is secondary as believers as the Apostles demonstrated in the book of Acts.  I know who Trump is, as well as a lot of pur politicians, but who knows, God could very well be working on his heart.  In the end, only God will know their final judgement.  We can only pray for him and others as we are commanded to do.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Charles Carroll, signer of the DOI

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative3

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #35 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:12pm
Print Post  

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

Oh noes! Virtue Signaling!!

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #36 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 12:08pm:
Atheism is a religion and your faith is that accidents created life. 

Accidents created life?

No one who has actually studied evolution would agree with that incredibly naive statement.

Seawolf, you have studied your Bible, so I know it is possible for you to study something and know it well, but you have chosen NOT to study science, so please, stop making statements that just indicate how truly ignorant you are.

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #37 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:34pm:
Accidents created life?

No one who has actually studied evolution would agree with that incredibly naive statement.

Seawolf, you have studied your Bible, so I know it is possible for you to study something and know it well, but you have chosen NOT to study science, so please, stop making statements that just indicate how truly ignorant you are.

Inform us what is the option outside a Creator.  Insults do not quailfy as an answer.  There are only 2 options, Created or accidental but feel free to educate.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

IP Logged

Seawolf
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #38 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:46pm:
Inform us what is the option outside a Creator.  Insults do not quailfy as an answer.  There are only 2 options, Created or accidental but feel free to educate.
I have asked this question and I never get an answer.

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #39 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Seawolf wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:46pm:

Order is spontaneously achieved in systems with an energy input. There is no accident involved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog