Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest (Read 556 times)
Vypr
LNF House Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest
Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest

Workers at a massive new Shell plant in Pennsylvania had to attend a speech by President Donald Trump there earlier this week to be paid — and were ordered not to protest, reported the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Attendance was not mandatory for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant north of Pittsburgh, but they had to forfeit pay for the day if they skipped, according to attendance and comportment information obtained by the newspaper.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” one manager told workers, summarizing a memo that Shell sent to union leaders, the Post-Gazette reported, but only those who showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their ID cards and prepared to stand for hours through lunch would be paid.

“No scan, no pay,” workers were warned.

In addition, workers who decided not to listen to the president’s speech reportedly would not be paid overtime rates routinely built in for extra time during the week.

The newspaper said that they were also told: “No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event. An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

“This is just what Shell wanted to do and we went along with it,” Ken Broadbent, business manager for Steamfitters Local 449, told the newspaper. He said he wouldn’t “bad rap” the situation.

“We’re glad to have the jobs. We’re glad to have the project built,” he said. “The president is the president whether we like him or dislike him. We respect him for the title.”

https://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-shell-workers-only-paid-if-attended-trump-sp...

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Re: Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Nothing says respect like forcing attendance with a gun pointed at your wallet .. ..

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Re: Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
This is absolute bulls**t.

But believe what you want.

1/7th of the workforce could even fit at the event, so volunteers were asked for.

And if you didn’t want to attend, but still wanted to be paid to show up at work and not actually work, that was available. You just went to your normal assigned place of work and did some training.

If you just wanted to stay home, then you could do that as well, but then you wouldn’t get paid.

This is fuc*inf scandalously shi**y reporting.

You’ve been tricked by the corporate media. Again.

Jeffrey Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself

IP Logged

Abe
LNF Majority Leader
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:58am
Print Post  
That company and scores of other contractors on site and their labor employees all have their own contracts with Shell. Several said the contracts stipulate that to get paid, workers must be onsite.

Those who decided not to come to the site for the event would have an excused but non-paid absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday.

Shell spokesman Ray Fisher explained that the workers onsite have a 56-hour workweek, with 16 hours of overtime built in. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work Friday, meeting the overtime threshold, were being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those who didn’t go to hear the president were being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site Tuesday.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/powersource/2019/08/16/Trump-speech-union-...

From the comments:

"So they came to work, got paid in full and didn't do any work. And the problem is? You just read a hit piece on a president who supports the fossil fuel industry and the high paying jobs it produces."

IP Logged

Vypr
LNF House Leader

Tribunal of the Holy Office
of the Inquisition

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Rabbit_Reborn wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:44am:
This is absolute bulls**t.

But believe what you want.

1/7th of the workforce could even fit at the event, so volunteers were asked for.

And if you didn’t want to attend, but still wanted to be paid to show up at work and not actually work, that was available. You just went to your normal assigned place of work and did some training.

If you just wanted to stay home, then you could do that as well, but then you wouldn’t get paid.

This is fuc*inf scandalously shi**y reporting.

You’ve been tricked by the corporate media. Again.

This article has named sources who should know, at least given the stated titles and their proximity to the info. I am looking for the "bad reporting" but don't see it. Perhaps you want to go on the record with your information and how you know.

IP Logged

Rabbit_Reborn
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

[i]Latin quote hinting
at my great intellect.[/i]

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:22am
Print Post  
It starts with a lie.

Vypr wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 10:30am:
Workers at a massive new Shell plant in Pennsylvania had to attend a speech by President Donald Trump there earlier this week to be paid —...

This is a lie.

You did not have to attend a speech to be paid.

The corporate media is lying to you.

It’s quite simple.

Abe’s info is accurate.

Jeffrey Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself

IP Logged

wyattstorch2004
LNF Speaker

GO CUBS

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Wait...so you are telling me that workers that don't come to work for the day...won't get paid for that day???!!!??

Where are my pearls...I need something to clutch.

IP Logged

Queshank
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
It's the Huffington Post.  Who, at this point, really expects "reporting" from them?

Queshank

The question isn't whether or not we're descended from monkeys.  The question is, when are we going to stop descending?

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Bert plays with himself

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Queshank wrote on Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:52am:
It's the Huffington Post.  Who, at this point, really expects "reporting" from them?

Queshank

Do we ever hear you complain about the lies that Breitbart peddles?

IP Logged

Greg55_99
LNF Bunker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Well Rabbit, looks like CNN has this story as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/politics/workers-trump-speech-attend-pto-no-pay/i...

Greg

"You want the TRUTH? You can't handle THE TRUTH!!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog