Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do about Afghanistan
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What to do about Afghanistan (Read 432 times)
patrick2
LNF Speaker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: What to do about Afghanistan
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 7:39pm:
We should leave, but we shouldn’t be brokering any kind of deal with those desert primates.

Arguments why?

IP Logged

Michael and Jello
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

I can't play the cello

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I find it hard to believe that we have the greatest military and intelligence apparatus on the planet but we still need to be right there in the backyard of the terrorists.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 5:05am
Print Post  

Michael and Jello wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:01am:
I find it hard to believe that we have the greatest military and intelligence apparatus on the planet but we still need to be right there in the backyard of the terrorists.

We can stop them by remote control?

IP Logged

petep
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Afghanistan seems to be much more of a police/security action to allow the many moderate muslims to develop and over time gain power over the extremists...remember, the extremists have been in power since about 700 AD...and I'm not referring to the terrorists...I'm referring to the leaders that dictate approx 90% of all education is religious only, no womens rights, stoning of women...that is their normal...as long as they are in power, you will have frustrated men who are not mobile in todays world, and will be susceptible to terrorist activity believing the heyday was the ottoman empire and their god wants them to convert the world...

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 8:49am
Print Post  

patrick2 wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:21pm:
[This is not directed at the "Ain't none of our business" crowd.  We've heard your simplistic grasp/solution a number of times, thank you.]

Lots of problems come with trying to graft conventional warfare concepts against nations onto fighting a guerilla war against a stateless military force.  One example is the idea of "winning".  In the case of WW2 with Germany and Japan, "winning" was destroying their governments and military and occupying their country.

In the case of Afghanistan, that is not appropriate or necessary.  What's needed is to prevent an IF takeover of Afghanistan - it's not necessary to "win" in the above sense to do that.  That's what was tried by both the Russians in 1980 and the US now.  Then is the alternative a meat-grinding war that never ends?  Not exactly. 

Remember, the idea is to prevent an IF takeover, not to "win" - two different things.   With limited forces, mostly airmobile infantry, IRBMs like Tomahawk, and fighter and bomber aircraft, the US can disrupt any IF attempt to take over the government.  In this way the costs, casualties, and manpower can be minimized.  What can't be minimized is the length of the "war".  It will go on as long as the IFs want it to.  Lots of things are like that.  How about medical efforts to fight bacteria and viruses?  Will the "war" there ever be "won"?  No. 

Remember the consequences of abandoning Afghanistan - an IF state, a home base where they can comfortably engineer attacks on the west, develop missiles and nukes and germ warfare.

If you're focus is solely on the Taliban and Afghanistan, then your solution has a huge blind spot: Pakistan.

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 9:47pm:
Come back when you can debate the issue.

There is nothing to debate about this with you.  You just keep spewing your same BS then runaway and start a new thread.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:18am:
Regulations are designed to protect the consumer and the worker.  If it doesn’t,it is not a regulation.

"Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 8:49am:
If you're focus is solely on the Taliban and Afghanistan, then your solution has a huge blind spot: Pakistan.

Exactamundo.  Given that large parts of Pakistan exist outside of govt jurisdiction, we have scoped this conflict poorly.  Militants, training, supplies, cash, etc -- all fuels the front lines in Afghanistan, so we will never resolve a war there without scoping it out.

There is almost no political will to do so, which suggests one of two approaches:
- bag it, get out, and let other regional powers take over
- come up with a region-wide peace plan, involving all stakeholders, that overcomes Pakistan's refusal to do anything.

The second option is clearly better, but would take years of commitment, deft diplomacy, UN involvement, and lots of hard work.  The US is clearly incapable of the job, so I imagine at some point China or Russia with step up to the plate, once our last helicopters leave their bases.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Lomelis wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 12:38pm:
There is nothing to debate about this with you.  You just keep spewing your same BS then runaway and start a new thread.

Will you PUH-LEEEEEEZ stop with your tiresome clutter?  You keep jumping in my threads even though you have nothing to add.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 8:49am:

Plz recheck the thread title.  OF COURSE there are islamofascists in many countries.

IP Logged

patrick2
LNF Speaker

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 5:27am:
Afghanistan seems to be much more of a police/security action to allow the many moderate muslims to develop and over time gain power over the extremists...remember, the extremists have been in power since about 700 AD...and I'm not referring to the terrorists...I'm referring to the leaders that dictate approx 90% of all education is religious only, no womens rights, stoning of women...that is their normal...as long as they are in power, you will have frustrated men who are not mobile in todays world, and will be susceptible to terrorist activity believing the heyday was the ottoman empire and their god wants them to convert the world...

There's no doubt about all that - the islamists are bizarrely still living in the 7th century.  It's up to them if that's their life.  I'm only concerned with preventing their lunacy from harming the U.S.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do about Afghanistan

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog