Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do about Afghanistan
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What to do about Afghanistan (Read 436 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: What to do about Afghanistan
Reply #30 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  

patrick2 wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:17pm:
How are you going too run a country if every half hour a jet pops up and strafes everything?  You aren't.

Sure, but not sure chaos is really what you want either, since that allows groups like ISIS, etc. to come in and set up shop (which they've done in Afghanistan). Ultimately, we want/need a stable government in Afghanistan. If that's the Taliban, frankly, so be it; their interests are - and have been - limited to that country. 

IP Logged

Lomelis
LNF Speaker

Wonderboy

Reply #31 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
Will you PUH-LEEEEEEZ stop with your tiresome clutter?  You keep jumping in my threads even though you have nothing to add.

Your lack of self awareness is truly amazing.

You consistently run from your threads like a little bitch and repost the same garbage cluttering the forum.  You have been challenged by a variety of posters with reasonable debate but then just run and cry about a lack of debate.

You're an idiot, a coward, and a grifter.  You know that if the government cuts defense spending you will lose your janitorial job for whatever defense contractor you work for and would have to compete against a bunch of new immigrants in a real market where they will work harder for less.

Ignorant Blessings from Wads:

Wadsworth wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:18am:
Regulations are designed to protect the consumer and the worker.  If it doesn’t,it is not a regulation.

"Watched it.  A shotgun is for long ranged shooting.  That is why hunters like them.  An AR-15 is not.  That video was misleading.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Michael and Jello wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 2:01am:
I find it hard to believe that we have the greatest military and intelligence apparatus on the planet but we still need to be right there in the backyard of the terrorists.

You are correct. Our political correctness has cost us thousands of American military lives. I am hoping the President Trump will do what I would do.
I would for day’s bomb them with mother of all bombs, and on the last day, one nuclear bomb. That would kill them, their parents, wives and children. And I am sure our next in line enemy will think twice about poking us with their sharp stick. It sounds cruel, and it is, but I think it is better than fighting year after year and our good people suffering and getting killed. Are we for our people and America, or them? Time to stop treating them like a bad boy.
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally. Niccolo Machiavelli

Smiley

Oh, and don’t think for a second that they wouldn’t do that to us if they could.

Freedom

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
patrick2 wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:21pm:
[This is not directed at the "Ain't none of our business" crowd.  We've heard your simplistic grasp/solution a number of times, thank you.]

Lots of problems come with trying to graft conventional warfare concepts against nations onto fighting a guerilla war against a stateless military force.  One example is the idea of "winning".  In the case of WW2 with Germany and Japan, "winning" was destroying their governments and military and occupying their country.

In the case of Afghanistan, that is not appropriate or necessary.  What's needed is to prevent an IF takeover of Afghanistan - it's not necessary to "win" in the above sense to do that.  That's what was tried by both the Russians in 1980 and the US now.  Then is the alternative a meat-grinding war that never ends?  Not exactly. 

Remember, the idea is to prevent an IF takeover, not to "win" - two different things.   With limited forces, mostly airmobile infantry, IRBMs like Tomahawk, and fighter and bomber aircraft, the US can disrupt any IF attempt to take over the government.  In this way the costs, casualties, and manpower can be minimized.  What can't be minimized is the length of the "war".  It will go on as long as the IFs want it to.  Lots of things are like that.  How about medical efforts to fight bacteria and viruses?  Will the "war" there ever be "won"?  No. 

Remember the consequences of abandoning Afghanistan - an IF state, a home base where they can comfortably engineer attacks on the west, develop missiles and nukes and germ warfare.

Education.

If the primitive mediæval cavemen had some exposure to the 20th Century, let alone the 21st, support for the bizarre Puritan dicķheads would wither in a generation.

The vile Chinese are trying a Fascist version of this against their Uigar minority right now. That won't work because it's creating hatred and martyrs.

Broadband, tv/tadio/net in every school, every house. Exchange programmes, educational (age 11 up to 20+), business, administrative.

You're quite right that WW2 was won by blowing shit up, starving and killing people. So was WW1.

Look at the difference between the Allies' planning 1918 and 1945.

Sadly no political leader currently has even a hazy idea of history and it's not well taught in schools.

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 3:56pm:
You are correct. Our political correctness has cost us thousands of American military lives. I am hoping the President Trump will do what I would do.
I would for day’s bomb them with mother of all bombs, and on the last day, one nuclear bomb. That would kill them, their parents, wives and children. And I am sure our next in line enemy will think twice about poking us with their sharp stick. It sounds cruel, and it is, but I think it is better than fighting year after year and our good people suffering and getting killed. Are we for our people and America, or them? Time to stop treating them like a bad boy.
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally. Niccolo Machiavelli

Smiley

Oh, and don’t think for a second that they wouldn’t do that to us if they could.

What about the few survivors?

Do you send infantry in, to bayonet the wounded toddlers clinging to their dead mothers?

What about any Afghan outside the borders when you bomb; do they get let free, or do you hunt them down for extra-judicial killings in, say, Amsterdam or Dublin? How do you get permission for that from foreign governments? Who does the killing? Is it legal?

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Archie
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:14pm:
What about the few survivors?

Do you send infantry in, to bayonet the wounded toddlers clinging to their dead mothers?

What about any Afghan outside the borders when you bomb; do they get let free, or do you hunt them down for extra-judicial killings in, say, Amsterdam or Dublin? How do you get permission for that from foreign governments? Who does the killing? Is it legal?

Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you injure them greatly they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared. Niccolo Machiavelli
  Smiley Wink

I think the survivors if any will change their lifestyle and advance into the 21st century.
And I believe we will have more friends and allies. Not even the red coats would want to be an enemy again. And I bet we would be charged lower tariffs too.

Freedom

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #36 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:34pm:
Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you injure them greatly they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared. Niccolo Machiavelli
  Smiley Wink

I think the survivors if any will change their lifestyle and advance into the 21st century.
And I believe we will have more friends and allies. Not even the red coats would want to be an enemy again. And I bet we would be charged lower tariffs too.

You don't make friends by committing mass murder.

Archie, you've not given this any thought at all.

Regarding the constant Machiavelli quotes.

I've urged you several times to look at Utopia, near contemporary and written by a Saint.

It might balance your views away frim the monstrous nonsense you post.

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

forgotten centrist
LNF Speaker

bring back the middle
class!

Reply #37 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Archie wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:34pm:
  Smiley Wink

Talking both sides again, Arch.  We should kill them all, down to the babies, to prevent retaliation, but hey, those we don't kill will most likely join us in peace and harmony?

You're not making any sense, dude.

The Russians slaughtered the Afghans remorselessly, and lost the war anyway.  They had no concerns over human rights, the geneva convention, or offending the hippies.  They found that for every enemy they killed, they created two more.

2017 dream team (junior member)
and now as friendly as Jasmine!

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

Reply #38 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
forgotten centrist wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:45pm:
Talking both sides again, Arch.  We should kill them all, down to the babies, to prevent retaliation, but hey, those we don't kill will most likely join us in peace and harmony?

You're not making any sense, dude.

The Russians slaughtered the Afghans remorselessly, and lost the war anyway.  They had no concerns over human rights, the geneva convention, or offending the hippies.  They found that for every enemy they killed, they created two more.

..the "two more" often motivated by revenge for injustice but funded and trained by the West.

While your illegal war of annihilation against Afghan civilians is going on, would America's enemies be

A. Applauding and being helpful or

B. Stirring up trouble and arming terrorist groups who would have so.e moral authority?

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Mojo-Jojo
LNF Representative3

The hobo fohmally known
as Jojo is no mo'.

Reply #39 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Either go all in, Marshall Plan type stuff, like Limey was libtarding about or GTFO. Anything in-between is not enough to establish peace. We're not committed, as a nation or united nations, to do the Marshall Plan so the only option is declare victory and leave.

In the end it's their state, not ours. They'll fight it out and the odds are good a strongman will rule. Still not our fight.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

Oh noes! Virtue Signaling!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › What to do about Afghanistan

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog