Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Handmaid's Tale sequel.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Handmaid's Tale sequel. (Read 348 times)
The D-Man
LNF Representative

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Re: Handmaid's Tale sequel.
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:33pm:
I wouldn't know. I've never read Atwood's work.

I have read several of King's, though I don't any more. I always liked his short stories better.

Actually, the audio version of his "On Writing" is pretty good. I recommend that.

At any rate, I'm fairly sure, especially after he dies, that his works will eventually be regarded as classics compared to whatever the current novelists are producing at that future date.

He has some good short stories. I got Night Shift when I was eleven, and some of the stories in there, like "Lawnmower Man," "Quitters Inc.," "The Children of the Corn," and "The Bogeyman," are top-notch as far as stories go, really unforgettable, though the writing falls short of something like Edgar Allan Poe, but it was a different era with a different vernacular.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
The D-Man wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:38pm:
He has some good short stories. I got Night Shift when I was eleven, and some of the stories in there, like "Lawnmower Man," "Quitters Inc.," "The Children of the Corn," and "The Bogeyman," are top-notch as far as stories go, really unforgettable, though the writing falls short of something like Edgar Allan Poe, but it was a different era with a different vernacular.

Although I've read several of his short stories, "Bogeyman" was the one on my mind when I made that post.

"Quitters, Inc." is also really good.

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Limey. wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:42pm:
Well.I had "the Testaments" pre-ordered on Kindle. It pinged on my phone at midnight (it's 2241 here now) and i just finished it. What a great book. Worthy sequel to the excellent Handmaid's Tale. Anyone else got it lined up?

Limey, what draws you to these Atwood books? I've not read them so I can't comment on the readability of her narrative. But, the idea of a modern theocracy seems rather nonsensical considering that the most brutal, tyrannical regimes of the last 100 years were hostility toward Christianity.

I've seen some of the TV adaptation and like some of its elements, especially Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy.

BTW,  "The Stand" by King is still a favorite. As far as dystopian fiction, I'll reread Orwell and Huxley instead.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Maestro wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:33pm:
I wouldn't know. I've never read Atwood's work.

I have read several of King's, though I don't read them any more. I always liked his short stories better anyway. I think the writing is a lot tighter. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy some of his novels and I'm hardly a literary snob. Read what you like and don't worry about what people say about it is my motto.

Actually, the audio version of King's "On Writing" is pretty good too. I recommend that.

At any rate, I'm fairly sure, especially after he dies, that his works will eventually be regarded as classics compared to whatever the current novelists are producing at that future date.

I used to read King as well.  As I got older, I lost my taste for horror.  But I do agree that his novels will be considered classics

PaleoCon wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:18am:
No blacks will buy that cap.  Look at the bill! It's all curved like normal people wear. The bill of the hat is supposed to be flat with a shiny goofy looking sticker in the middle of it.

No self respecting thug would be without his sticker!

IP Logged

The D-Man
LNF Representative

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Well.

I had "the Testaments" pre-ordered on Kindle.

It pinged on my phone at midnight (it's 2241 here now) and i just finished it.

What a great book. Worthy sequel to the excellent Handmaid's Tale.

Anyone else got it lined up?

Well I just went to a book club at Barnes & Noble for the first time tonight and hung out with a bunch of old ladies, and they're reading The Testaments next and I won a drawing for a free copy, so it looks like I do have it lined up after all!

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

Courage is fearing something,
then doing it anyway

Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Well.

I had "the Testaments" pre-ordered on Kindle.

It pinged on my phone at midnight (it's 2241 here now) and i just finished it.

What a great book. Worthy sequel to the excellent Handmaid's Tale.

Anyone else got it lined up?

National Public Radio (NPR) did an interview of the author today.

She said that when she wrote it, in the mid 80s, we were moving away from that type of dystopian future, but that under Trump, we're moving towards it. That is why it is so popular right now.

Far Right Conservatives. I'm lookin' at you.

IP Logged

The D-Man
LNF Representative

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:45pm:
National Public Radio (NPR) did an interview of the author today.

She said that when she wrote it, in the mid 80s, we were moving away from that type of dystopian future, but that under Trump, we're moving towards it. That is why it is so popular right now.

Far Right Conservatives. I'm lookin' at you.

My memory is that in The Handmaid's Tale, women are forced to have sex and give birth to the offspring. I don't think we are moving toward a situation where women are being forced to have sex. Rather, we are on the cusp of moving away from a situation where unborn people (male and female) are being forced to die by abortion.

That is, the book is about the violation of people's bodily integrity and how bad it is, and yet it is being used by liberals as an argument in support of the violation of unborn people's bodily integrity in the form of abortion. Orwell referred to that as "doublethink" in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

then doing it anyway

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:29am
Print Post  
The D-Man wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 12:41am:
My memory is that in The Handmaid's Tale, women are forced to have sex and give birth to the offspring. I don't think we are moving toward a situation where women are being forced to have sex. Rather, we are on the cusp of moving away from a situation where unborn people (male and female) are being forced to die by abortion.

That is, the book is about the violation of people's bodily integrity and how bad it is, and yet it is being used by liberals as an argument in support of the violation of unborn people's bodily integrity in the form of abortion. Orwell referred to that as "doublethink" in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Remarkable that you could bring up 'doublethink', as if it defends your support of Trump. Eric Blair was pointing out that those who use it,  are hypocrites, the only consistent position of the far Right.

Abortion is a perfect example. You will defend a few cells in a woman's body that might become another human, but once that human is born, you will do nothing to support it. So your conscious tells you that an unborn life is beautiful, innocent, and valuable, but once born, that same life needs to fend for itself.

That is absolutely doublethink. Blair was talking about you.

IP Logged

PaleoCon
LNF Representative2
LNF Bunker

Ne sutor ultra crepidam.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Freon_Bale wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:29am:
Remarkable that you could bring up 'doublethink', as if it defends your support of Trump. Eric Blair was pointing out that those who use it,  are hypocrites, the only consistent position of the far Right.

Abortion is a perfect example. You will defend a few cells in a woman's body that might become another human, but once that human is born, you will do nothing to support it. So your conscious tells you that an unborn life is beautiful, innocent, and valuable, but once born, that same life needs to fend for itself.

That is absolutely doublethink. Blair was talking about you.

FB, that's not correct.  First, those "few cells" have their own distinctive heartbeat after 16 days.  Secondly, show us where we do not equally protect and defend the lives of children after they are born.

When you say "support", we know what you mean: "nanny state, welfare, cradle to grave control".  We don't believe the government should be in the business of parenting or handouts to achieve some mandated family outcome.

But, how in the world can it be better to kill a child only because the government won't babysit?

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

IP Logged

Freon_Bale
LNF Representative3
LNF Bunker

then doing it anyway

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 11:10am
Print Post  
PaleoCon wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 11:02am:
FB, that's not correct.  First, those "few cells" have their own distinctive heartbeat after 16 days.  Secondly, show us where we do not equally protect and defend the lives of children after they are born.

When you say "support", we know what you mean: "nanny state, welfare, cradle to grave control".  We don't believe the government should be in the business of parenting or handouts to achieve some mandated family outcome.

But, how in the world can it be better to kill a child only because the government won't babysit?

As someone who has done animal research, the heartbeat means very little to me. That may be 'the spark of life' to you, but it's just a muscle beating to me. There is no intelligence in it, it is just a pump.

It's not a child. Not a baby. It is the potential to become both, but when we abort it, it's just a bunch of cells. Just like when you masturbate, you kill all those potential humans. But that's ok, right?

And when I say support, I mean that if you force a woman to have a baby, and she can't support that child, then who does? It wouldn't be a financial problem if you didn't force the woman to give birth, but that's what you want, EXACTLY LIKE IN THE HANDMAIDENS TALE. You have not only denied a woman's right use her body as she chooses, which is bad enough, but you also bring an unwanted life into our society, with no means to pay for it. And all so you can feel good. Selfish. Irresponsible. Ignorant. Hypocrite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Handmaid's Tale sequel.

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog