Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › 9/11 Thoughts
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 9/11 Thoughts (Read 88 times)
Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

9/11 Thoughts
Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Feel free to post them here, whatever your thoughts may be.

However, I don't want to detract from patrick2's thread, which is more about whether or not we're going to give up the fight. If you want to talk about that, go there.

But this is a thread for other thoughts.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: 9/11 Thoughts
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
My thoughts:

1. My cousin was at the Pentagon when the plane hit. He was unhurt, but it was several hours before we knew if he was alive or dead. That's something I'll never forget.

2. It's hard to believe this in retrospect, but before 9/11, the general consensus was that Bush's presidency would be a fairly inconsequential one on the grand scheme of things. The Cold War was over and Bush had mostly run on a domestic agenda of scaling back the government, cutting taxes, promoting a pro-business agenda, etc. His lack of flair plus the brutal end to the 2000 election seemed to make "history shaking" an unlikely possibility.

3. When thinking of 9/11, I'm always reminded of the Anthrax scare that began one week later. Things were really starting to look grim then, like this was something that would just keep happening over and over.

4. I have young children now. It's a difficult thing to explain to them.

IP Logged

Michael and Jello
Hardhat
LNF Bunker

I can't play the cello

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
My dad should have been in the towers when it happened. A last minute change in his routine prevented that. He probably would not have been in danger but we didn't hear from him until 11 at night so we thought the worst.

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

"I am the rightest of
rights" - Jassmin 8-24-19

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
The morning of 9/11, I got up at my usual hour, 6 am. But I didn't turn on the TV or radio, because I wanted to finish watching a bit of a PBS history program on tape. So I watched that without tuning in any channels. Then it came time to go to work. At that time I was riding my bicycle about five miles to the nearest train station, taking the train to the station closest to my workplace, then bicycling another 8 miles or so to work. Good exercise.

Anyway, it was customary for me to have some ear buds in wired into a little FM radio. I was tuned into the local public radio station. It was their usual news hour, so the dry and deliberate conversation was not unusual. I didn't realize what was happening until  I got about a mile from home, when the newsman said, "And the second tower has fallen". WTF? It gradually became clear something horrible had happened in NYC, but I didn't get the full scope until I got on the train and was updated by some others. When I got to work it was all sad. So sad. We had some Arab co-workers and they were devastated. Finally my boss came in and sent everyone home for the day. Getting home was interesting because I didn't know the train schedule for the middle of the day. A co-worker gave me a lift to another station that had service to my home station. When I finally got home, the first thing I did was to take out the history tape and stick in a blank tape, and start recording the news. It didn't seem to matter what channel - they were all talking about the same damn thing.

Horrific.

What is the cost of lies? It's not that we'll mistake them for the truth. The real danger is that if we hear enough lies, then we no longer recognize the truth at all. What can we do then? What else is left but to abandon the hope of truth and content ourselves instead with stories. In these stories it doesn't matter who the heroes are. All we want to know is who is to blame. - V. Legasov

IP Logged

Ulysses
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

"I am the rightest of
rights" - Jassmin 8-24-19

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I was reminded of one thing: I had an aunt who had lived in Manhattan for most of her adult life. I had visited her in 1974, and I remember she and her son (about my age) were disagreeing about some new development - the World Trade Center. He thought it was a great thing; she was one of those who opposed it (it wiped out an entire interesting neighborhood). Her son suggested that we go visit the worksite but she adamantly said no. So I didn't go.

After 9/11 I called her a while later, and mentioned her opposition to the creation of the WTC in the first place. I can't remember her words, exactly, but she seemed both outraged and philosophical about it. Something about how she never cared for it but never wanted to see it go, at least not like that.

She was my favorite aunt.

What is the cost of lies? It's not that we'll mistake them for the truth. The real danger is that if we hear enough lies, then we no longer recognize the truth at all. What can we do then? What else is left but to abandon the hope of truth and content ourselves instead with stories. In these stories it doesn't matter who the heroes are. All we want to know is who is to blame. - V. Legasov

IP Logged

LadyBug
LNF Senior Staffer4
LNF Bunker

Hey Everybody! Good to
be back.

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:50am
Print Post  
I was in my car traveling between schools when news of the first tower came on. The second tower was falling by the time I reached the Catholic school. It was on lockdown and fearful parents were beginning to show up to take their kids home. We were instructed to keep our schedules, but it was very difficult to focus on anything else, and every chance everyone got we stopped at the teacher's lounge to check out the TV news updates. It was a surreal day.  Sad

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › 9/11 Thoughts

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog