Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Turkey begins to move into Northern Syria
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Turkey begins to move into Northern Syria (Read 213 times)
Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Re: Turkey begins to move into Northern Syria
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  

Fiddler wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:02am:
BS...

What's bs? That people suddenly care about whether people are dying in Syria in order to blame something on Trump when we've been enabling this for a while?

Quote:
We've had no business being in the ME for decades.

I don't disagree with that. I just find it funny that so many people are up in arms over this now.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:45pm by Demos »  

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:58am:
"Syrian civil war fatalities, as of Dec 2018

Pro-Syrian militias 50K
Opposition fighters 64K
Syrian soldiers 65K
Members of radical groups 65.1K
Civilians 111K
Unknown/undocumented 203K

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
" (Source)

Suddenly everyone gives a sh*t.

The point is that the Kurds who helped fight ISIS at our request is going to be slaughtered by the Turks.  Making things worse does not help it get better.

PaleoCon wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:18am:
No blacks will buy that cap.  Look at the bill! It's all curved like normal people wear. The bill of the hat is supposed to be flat with a shiny goofy looking sticker in the middle of it.

No self respecting thug would be without his sticker!

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:45pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:27pm:
The point is that the Kurds who helped fight ISIS at our request is going to be slaughtered by the Turks.  Making things worse does not help it get better.

They've been slaughtered by the Syrian government too (Source). Would you suggest we made things worse by encouraging and arming a rebellion against Assad? Today's actions aren't occurring in a vacuum.

IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:17am:
What's bs? That people suddenly care about whether people are dying in Syria in order to blame something on Trump when we've been enabling this for a while?

Sorry.. I was speaking for myself.  I've railed against our Middle East policy for decades..  We've had an almost exclusive hand in breaking the ME.. Yes I know we had help from our 'allies'.

BUT.. I'm not delighted about hanging the Kurds out to dry but it is Trump's SOP.  In that regard I believe "We broke it.. we bought it"   Trump, as is his core belief, is "We broke it.. let someone else pay for it".

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
petep wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:00am:
what did we move 50-100 troops a bit south, to join the other 1000 troops...I had no idea 50-100 people were holding off the entire evil world...

you libidiots sure have a knack for emotional hyperbole.

Turkey needed a go-ahead politically; militarily it could have done this any time.

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Wadsworth
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:45pm:
They've been slaughtered by the Syrian government too (Source). Would you suggest we made things worse by encouraging and arming a rebellion against Assad? Today's actions aren't occurring in a vacuum.

You still didn’t address the fact that it is going to get worse

PaleoCon wrote on Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:18am:
No blacks will buy that cap.  Look at the bill! It's all curved like normal people wear. The bill of the hat is supposed to be flat with a shiny goofy looking sticker in the middle of it.

No self respecting thug would be without his sticker!

IP Logged

Limey.
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft
LNF Bunker

I Love Liberty News Forum!

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Demos wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:17am:

I don't disagree with that. I just find it funny that so many people are up in arms over this now.

I think you are deliberately missing the point.

It's a betrayal of an ally. These things rankle for a long time and tend to come back and bite. The Kurds have a pretty legitimate case for some form of autonomy (i'm not supporting their terrorism here) and this is needlessly making enemies in a region where friendships would be more welcome all round.

Peace is more than an absence of war; this sort of move doesn't advance peace.

I have a new t shirt.

IP Logged

Wally Wants A Wall
Hardhat
Conservative Caucus

Cunning... is but the
low mimic of wisdom ~Plato

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Just as Saudi Arabia are strategic allies, so is our NATO partner Turkey (who, by the way,  is hosting several of our nuclear weapons).  Turkey most recently purchased ground to air missiles from Russia (even though they are a member of NATO and have been our ally since 1945).  We can either strengthen our alliances or allow Putin (and/or China) fill the void.  We don't get to dictate to other nation's what their policies ought to be, unless we are willing to back this up with whatever it takes.

The Kurdish tribes of northern Iraq, Syria and Turkey have been engaged in separatist movements, seeking their own new nation,  Often, the governments of Turkey, Iraq and Syria have been involved in armed conflicts with this ethnic minority, who want to create their own new land out of nations which will not simply let them have it.

The Kurds (many of whom are communists) have been good allies in fighting our common enemy, ISIS.  This doesn't mean that we must take their side against our NATO Ally in their quest to partition of a part of Turkey and/or Iraq and Syria.

It's not a slam dunk that this will bear fruit, but an attempt to have Trukey take the lead in providing security in the northern part of the Middle East is in keeping with the Trump/Pompeo strategy for having the Middle East nations step up and handle things in their own neighborhood.

Democrats used to share the cause that the US ought not be the world's policeman!

" The few will always act like the few.�

�Machiavelli

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

― Socrates

img]https://i.imgur.com/prBnexU.jpg[/img]
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Fiddler
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker

I love American Pi

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Wally Wants A Wall wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:59pm:
Democrats used to share the cause that the US ought not be the world's policeman!

Still do Wally 'cept, unlike right-wingers, we don't believe in running away from commitments even those we did not support.

IP Logged

Demos
LNF Speaker
The Writer's Croft

Hook 'Em

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 2:17pm
Print Post  

Wadsworth wrote on Oct 9th, 2019 at 1:29pm:
You still didn’t address the fact that it is going to get worse

It was always going to get worse, unless we're prepared to actually overthrow Assad, because his forces are also moving into the Kurdish held areas.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Turkey begins to move into Northern Syria

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog