Liberty News Forum
Political News Forum - Let your opinions be heard on current news and politics. Not for wimps!
Political Opinion Page - Recent Posts - LNF Forums LNF in the Age of Empowerment! Algorithm free!
Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Entertainment - Sports Forum
Military - A1 News Page - Computers Tech - Financial News - Bunker - Rasmussen Presidential Tracking Poll
The House - Off the Wall News - Page 2 - Rasmussen Reports Polls - Chat Room
Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Maestro's (New & Improved) Christmas Trivia Contest 2019!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maestro's (New & Improved) Christmas Trivia Contest 2019! (Read 2,778 times)
Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Re: Maestro's (New & Improved) Christmas Trivia Contest 2019!
Reply #50 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Question number six is over!

The question was, "According to the book of Matthew, who convinced Joseph to complete his betrothal to Mary?"

The answer is: an angel

From the World English Bible (a public domain translation):

Quote:
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was like this: After his mother, Mary, was engaged to Joseph, before they came together, she was found pregnant by the Holy Spirit. 19 Joseph, her husband, being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example, intended to put her away secretly. 20 But when he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take to yourself Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She shall give birth to a son. You shall name him Jesus, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins.”
22 Now all this has happened that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying,
23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child,
and shall give birth to a son.
They shall call his name Immanuel,”
which is, being interpreted, “God with us.”
24 Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took his wife to himself; 25 and didn’t know her sexually until she had given birth to her firstborn son. He named him Jesus.

And now...

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #51 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Question number seven is over!

The question was, "True or False: According to Matthew, the Magi told Herod what they had seen after they witnessed the birth of Jesus."

The answer is: FALSE

Here’s the funny thing about this question. I always meant for it to be false, but it’s actually false for several reasons, which was not my intention. Because I clumsily worded the question, I ended up spoiling a future question I had planned! I only realized it after looking at the question again last night to see how people were answering and I thought to myself, “Wait, I worded it like that? What was I thinking?”

See, what I meant to ask was something more like, “True or False: According to Matthew, the magi told Herod what they had seen after meeting the Christ child.”

The primary reason this question is false: According to the Gospel of Matthew, the Magi met with Herod before meeting the Christ child and refused to go back to him afterward.

(All quotes are from the public domain World English Bible).

Quote:
7 Then Herod secretly called the wise men, and learned from them exactly what time the star appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem, and said, “Go and search diligently for the young child. When you have found him, bring me word, so that I also may come and worship him.”
9 They, having heard the king, went their way; and behold, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them until it came and stood over where the young child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. 11 They came into the house and saw the young child with Mary, his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Opening their treasures, they offered to him gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 12 Being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they went back to their own country another way.

Ok, so I never meant to say “witnessed the birth of Jesus.” My brain just jumped to that expression for some reason. Maybe because Doc Brown uses that phrase in Back to the Future? I really don’t know. But here are the additional reasons why wording the question the way I did makes it even more false (if “more false” makes any sense!)

While Matthew does not explicitly state that the Magi were not present at some point during the night that Jesus was born, he very strongly hints that they weren’t (and this is what ruined my future question about who was present at the Nativity). For one, Matthew says that the Magi saw a “young child” (paidion) rather than a baby (brephos is the word Luke used to describe the newborn child). This isn’t total proof as the word paidion is used in the context of childbirth in John 16:21, but we also should consider that Herod orders the destruction of all males children under the age of two, based on his discussion with the Magi before they met the Christ child. This means that Herod at least thought the child could be as old as two. That seems unlikely if the Magi expected to see a newborn. Also, the context of the conversation between the Magi and Herod seems to hint that the star appeared when Christ was born, at which point they began to follow it. But, as I said, this isn’t explicitly stated.

Even if we dismiss the previous points, it is extremely unlikely that Joseph and Mary would have allowed men, let alone strange men, let alone strange gentile men, to witness Mary actually giving birth to a child. That’s not what I meant when I said “witness the birth of Christ,” but it’s true nonetheless.

And now...

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2019 at 4:16pm by Maestro »  

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #52 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Question number eight is over!

The question was, "Which two people are most directly responsible for the mess that George Bailey finds himself in that leads him to contemplate suicide in It's a Wonderful Life? Choose both!"

The answer is: Uncle Billy (who misplaces the money) and Mr. Potter who dishonestly keeps it.

And now...

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #53 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Question number nine is over!

The question was, "In the movie Elf, what does Buddy the Elf buy his dad to let him know how special he is to him?"

The answer is: Lingerie! (The sign next to the lingerie said "For that special someone" and Buddy didn't know any better. It's a pretty funny scene!)

And now...

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #54 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Question number ten is over!

The question was, "Match the character from the song Do You Hear What I Hear? to the question he/she asks or the statement he/she makes."

The answer is:

night wind: Do you see what I see?
little lamb: Do you hear what I hear?
shepherd boy: Do you know what I know?
mighty king: Listen to what I say!

And now...

(The missing question about your LNF handle has been restored)
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019 at 4:58pm by Maestro »  

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #55 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Question number eleven is over!

The question was, "Which action figure does Howard Langston desperately want to get for his son in the movie Jingle All the Way?"

The answer is:

Turbo Man!

And now...

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #56 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Question number twelve is over!

The question was, "What song does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of A Charlie Brown Christmas?"

The answer is:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

I will be busy tomorrow evening, so we're going to knock out the next two at once!

So, without further ado:

IP Logged

Jasmine
LNF Speaker
LNF Bunker
Conservative Caucus

God Bless America!

Reply #57 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Maestro, can you tell us how many more questions there are?

If possible, I want to use my free hints judiciously. Smiley

Angelina Love with the Botox Injection!

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #58 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Jasmine wrote on Nov 23rd, 2019 at 12:44am:
Maestro, can you tell us how many more questions there are?

If possible, I want to use my free hints judiciously. Smiley

Thanksgiving Day is the last question, so we have 19 questions total.

IP Logged

Maestro
Hardhat
The Writer's Croft

Reply #59 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I apologize for the lateness! I was busy putting up Christmas decorations!

Questions number thirteen and fourteen are over!

Question 13 was, "During the term of office of which president was the National Christmas Tree decorated with with 4,600 red, white, and blue ornaments and topped with a replica of the Liberty Bell?"

The answer is:

Gerald Ford! The 1975 tree was decorated in patriotic colors in honor of the upcoming bicentennial.

Question 14 was, "This question has to do with the Christmas Carol We Three Kings. Check the four kinds of landscape through which the Kings claim to have traversed. (Choose all four!)"

The answer is:

Field, fountain, moor, mountain

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2019 at 7:51pm by Maestro »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint

Liberty News ForumLNF Forums HerePolitical Opinion Page - The Hot Seat › Maestro's (New & Improved) Christmas Trivia Contest 2019!

LNF Home - Political Opinion Page
LNF Forums

Christian Forum - Religion Forum - Sports Forum - Entertainment - House
Military, History - Cooking and Crafts - Creative Writing
Off the Wall News - Science Forum - Tech Gadgets - Financial News - Humor
Bunker - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Chat Room

Drudge Report - News Max - Rush Limbaugh - FrontpageMag
Advertise on the LNF - Twitter LNF - LNF Archive - LNF News
LNF Blog
News and Political Links
Political Blogs
Add your website or blog